Thread: Seward in Early June

Default Seward in Early June

My wife suprised me with a halibut charter in early June for my birthday. I will be in Seward June 7th 8th and 9th. The charter is suppose to be a 1/2 day and I am going by myself not bringing the family in tow. What other things can be had for a guy by himself down there for my extra time. I have done exit Glacier a few times also been on one of the sight seeing boats before is there any decent fishing from shore during that time ? Or if anyone has an open seat on their rigs I am more than happy to help with the fuel bill or at the very least beer and food.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    My wife suprised me with a halibut charter in early June for my birthday. I will be in Seward June 7th 8th and 9th. The charter is suppose to be a 1/2 day and I am going by myself not bringing the family in tow. What other things can be had for a guy by himself down there for my extra time. I have done exit Glacier a few times also been on one of the sight seeing boats before is there any decent fishing from shore during that time ? Or if anyone has an open seat on their rigs I am more than happy to help with the fuel bill or at the very least beer and food.
    Snagging for reds at the mouth of the Ressurection River is a possibility...though you may be a tad early.

I've caught kings off of Lowell Point and dollies in the surf around that time frame.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The Caines Head hike (tide dependent) is a good trip. As FishGod said, Dollies and Kings will be around too. There's also the dog mushing tours on the ice field, as well as some water taxi only accessible cabins to be had. You'll have the place pretty much to yourself that early in the season...Which won't suck.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

The Caines Head hike is one of my favorites. You don't have to go all the way to get into some really nice country, just out to Tonsina Creek and over the new bridge brings you through a forest of hanging moss I call the magical forest. Neat place. The reds at McDonalds, if they're in, is another option though it's like combat fishing at the Russian but with weighted treble hooks flying. Not for me.

snagging for reds should be good, before i got a boat i used to go down there for memorial day weekend and hit the reds preety hard. like everyone else stated lowell point can produce some dollies and or kings. There are also lots of lakes around that are stocked and make for some good fishing. I know that i will be out on the boat that weekend, if im in seward i will shoot you a pm as there is usually an open spot on the boat.

when you say at McDs do you mean in the harbor? or at the culvert that leads into the lagoon thing?

Neither. McD's is at the head of the bay.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Do yourself a favor and fish a full day. That time of year is the best time for halibut fishing and you will never get to where the fishing is good on a half day. A half day trip in June is like bringing a sandwich to a banquet.....

It is a full day I was mistaken. I will have Friday an Sunday to bum around however not driving back until
    Monday.

Great you should do well fishing at that time of year, good luck!!

Don't go to Resurrection River there are no Reds there, go down Nash road 1.2 miles and you will see a sign fishing on the beach, 5 per head, falling tide is best, or incoming never high. This is salmon creek with connects to Bear creek where the hatchery has a fishing holding pen. There should be reds there, hared to say with the encoded process out the bay. June can get good or bust for Seward with the cost recovery by seiners its a gamble. You will be snagging.

I have fished the beach off of Nash before where you pay a the little shack with the Australian shepherd running around didnt do well from there but it was the week of 4th of July last year when we did that.

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

The new museum will be open.

are you talking about the spring creek campground area?