Thread: brand new hootchies and the plastic smell

Default brand new hootchies and the plastic smell

Hello,

I am new to trolling hoochies, but just ordered a bunch. I have an upcoming trip to Ketch in June. I was wondering if anyone uses any scents on the hootchies, or if the smell of brand new plastic is a problem? Can I take a brand new one and rig it with a couple #5 hooks and fish away or ????

Also, I ordered some army truck glow, white purple haze, and a clear glow with a black splatter. Do these seem like reasonable options behind an 11 inch pro trol chartruse flasher , and or an army truck 11 inch flasher?

How far back to the hootchie? about 30inches?

Any help would be great.

June in Ketchikan so you're king fishing I take it? Smell doesn't seem to be an issue as far as I can tell, I do se some scent sometimes but typically not. I find putting a small teaser strip of herring fillet works good for me and the clients. Hopefully 270ti chims in he is a samon killer in these parts and runs hootchies a bunch. Flasher color seems OK, I would also add a few other options - purple, green, lots of choices and opinions on this as well. The purple haze works good for me behind a purple flasher.

30inches or less would be good. If you're marking fish and not hooking up, change out as neeed. Have a great time!

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Around Ketchikan every color of hootchies are good as long as they are green. The best hootchies is a cut plug herring with a leader 2 1/2 the flasher length.

Only once have I had a Hootchie that stunk beyond a mild plastic smell and it never caught a thing must have been made from some recycled crap because it stunk like burning garbage-I threw it away.

Standard Hootchie leader length is 42" where I'm from but as always YMMV.

Lots of different color hoochies. Seems like you picked a lot of the colors popular down in WA.

I like o39r, oyx34r, ogl164r, og153r, and omw112r. 34" leader (arms length to nose is the rule of leaders) and 11" flasher. I've been doubling up on hoochies too. Putting a clear-ish hoochie over a darker solid hoochie to give it a plumper appearance. You can come up with a lot of color combos, and find some real winners. I had one last year that caught me some big ol' kings. It was an o237r over a 039r. I put it together to look like those little perch I was pulling out of the kings stomachs in May. I caught some slugs on that combo.

Don't worry about any "new" smell. I put pro-cure herring oil on hoochies in the past though. The last few inches they rely on their nose to guide em in. At least that's what a hi liner told me. So a little scent or herring strip aint' gonna hurt, that's for sure. It just gets a bit messy with that herring oil.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post

Don't worry about any "new" smell. I put pro-cure herring oil on hoochies in the past though. The last few inches they rely on their nose to guide em in. At least that's what a hi liner told me. So a little scent or herring strip aint' gonna hurt, that's for sure. It just gets a bit messy with that herring oil.
    I'm not claiming to know 2% of what you know about hoochies. In fact, you've probably forgotten more than I'll ever learn. But I have to add that I've never even thought of the plastic smell as an issue. Could be, but might not be. I will add though, that for kings more than silvers a little scent is often a big help.

My point for chiming in is to say that I HATE herring oil, mostly because I manage to get it all over everything, and on a hot sunny day..... Gak.
    Following the example of other knowledgeable friends, I fillet the big herring everyone hacks up for halibut, then salt the fillets. Once they're good and firm, I cut them into strips and keep them in a Tupperware container on the boat. These I hang on the hook (or hooks) inside the hoochie for both added smell and added bulk. Seems to work like a charm.

As a side note, I also salt all the needlefish and capelin I can get and use them the same way. A little hunk of needlefish inside one of those skinny needlefish hoochies can turn all the fish away from unbaited hoochies. Same for a strip of capelin inside a capelin hoochie.

And no goshdarned herring oil getting all over everything in the boat!

I have never been concerned about the "plastic" smell of hoochies and have been using them since they first began to appear on the market. The quality of the plastic has gone down in the last number of years and I have run across some "stinky" ones but they seemed to catch just like the others. I do know some sport fishermen who add scents to hoochies - I don't know any commercial salmon trollers that add scent but I know a few that add salted herring belly-strips. Green is a good choice for SE Kings in the spring, from dark green all the way to chartreuse. The bait purists will stick with herring - either whole or cut-plugs with a very tight roll and no flasher. Have a good trip.