Thread: Surveyor in the Sterling area

Default Surveyor in the Sterling area

Does anyone have any recommendations for a Surveyor in the Sterling area? I just need the borders marked on an acre lot. I'm putting a driveway in this spring and I don't really want to go off the old flagging.

Jerry Johnson, Johnson Surveying 262-5772

Supporting Member

I second Jerry Johnson, Johnson Surveying....he's done some work for me and has been great to deal with.

If you go to the Kenai Peninsula Borough Parcel Viewer site, http://mapserver.borough.kenai.ak.us/kpbmapviewer/ you can get the gps coordinates for your corners or any other point on your property; might save ya some bucks.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a Surveyor in the Sterling area? I just need the borders marked on an acre lot. I'm putting a driveway in this spring and I don't really want to go off the old flagging.
    There aren't any metal stakes driven in the ground?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    There aren't any metal stakes driven in the ground?
    I couldn't find the corner stakes where I thought they would be, which makes me wonder about the accuracy of the flagging. The flagging is pretty old.

cdubbin-thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

If that doesn't work out, it looks like Jerry Johnson is the guy.
    Thanks for the responses.

If you go the GPS route, a few tips. 1) A consumer grade GPS is only going to get you within 20ft or so, which isn't good enough to call it a corner but will get you in the neighborhood of a corner stake - if there is one. 2) Rent a metal detector. Once you get where your GPS says the corner is at, start sweeping around with the detector and you have a good chance of finding the stake (if it is there). 3) Do this in May after all the snow melts out but before any vegetation starts to grow. You might see the stake without any other aid.

Depending on how the property is layed out you might be able to take some measurments off of adjecent lots that have a marked corner and get close to start looking for metal corners. Good Luck