Thread: Halibut Charters Valdez

Default Halibut Charters Valdez

My grandpa comes up every year twice to homer and seward to go fishing for the silver derby and the halibut in homer. This year he is thinking of heading to valdez but is worried about how far they have to drive the boat to get to good halibut waters. I know everyone goes to different areas and you can catch halibut of the dock. What i am interested in knowing is do the charters drive farther to get out into open waters to get the halibut. Miles of hours of drive time would be nice thanks to all.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    My grandpa comes up every year twice to homer and seward to go fishing for the silver derby and the halibut in homer. This year he is thinking of heading to valdez but is worried about how far they have to drive the boat to get to good halibut waters. I know everyone goes to different areas and you can catch halibut of the dock. What i am interested in knowing is do the charters drive farther to get out into open waters to get the halibut. Miles of hours of drive time would be nice thanks to all.
    I would say you're looking at at 3-4hr run if not more. Depends on the boat/water/weather and the captain. There are shorter runs and yes halibut are found closer, but when on a charter for halibut the destination usually involves a lengthy trip.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I charter out of Valdez several days each year. The reliably good halibut fishing is all in the gulf of Alaska. Several charters will go out to the gulf if the weather allows it. I always fish with Orion charters. Other good options are the otter dodger, halibut grove, and dawn treader.

On the Dan Orion boat we typically travel about 27 knots and go about 90 nautical miles to fish. Call it a 3.5 hour trip to the fishing grounds. The fishing is better in my opinion than in other halibut fishing harbors but I will readily admit that on most days you will take a pretty good beating just on the boat ride to the fishing grounds.

I told him i think he is going to stick to what he is comfortable with and a much shorter trip in homer. Thanks for the information.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.