Thread: Cabin Security Location Questions

Default Cabin Security Location Questions

I understand that any remote cabin is vulnerable to break in and vandelism. I have been looking at some land for rec cabin just north of Willow about mile maker 80 on the Parks hiway. This land is NOT in one of the gated developments up that way. The land is on a good gravel road 1/2 mile off Parks hiway. I've been told that building a cabin in this area in a non-gated development is foolish due to greater than normal, significant problem with cabin break-ins and vandelism. I plan on having a gated drive way and building 75-100 yards off gravel road in heavily wooded area. The cabin will be for summer and winter rec use so it won't be occupied all the time. No electric. I'd appreciated any input from folks that are familiar with that area and related security issues, if any. Thanks!

I would look into a alarm system and build it into the house. Yes it will be a problem finding something that will not drain the battery but not impossible to find. If it were my cabin I would have a presser switch that would turn on all the alarm systems when someone step on it. That way no battery power would be use until it was needed.

Is this the property that you put the driveway into last fall? Depending on what you plan to build, I would not let worry about vandals sway you. A good solid gate will do alot to keep the criminals at bay. Of course alot of these people will work harder to steal from someone than if they just got a job.

Well concealed game cameras are one way...and a good relationship with your neighbors...The latter being more useful, IMO.

If the permanent residents drive past your place everyday and will keep an eye on the place for you, that is the best situation possible I think. If they see someone casing the joint, let them know you'd like to get a phone call. I do it for several weekenders in my neighborhood. I have "confronted" a couple of troublemakers over the years at neighbors weekend cabins.

I live pretty close to where you mentioned. It is a real concern but can be dealt with at least to a certain degree.

If you are still looking for property in the area, let me know. I have 9 acres in "my" subdivision that I would consider selling and I drive past it everyday ...

Are you speaking of the Caswell Area?

Are you talking about wilderness rim? Good area. Family has land there