Thread: Dinghy for a Hewes OP or Raider 2284

Default Dinghy for a Hewes OP or Raider 2284

Hey Folks

I'm in the market for a dinghy for my 22 foot Raider 2284. What do you guys that have boats of size with a hard top do for getting to shore. I don't intend (for now) to put a motor on it, just looking for a way into shore for the dog or to get me in after dropping the wife and dog and dry bags on the beach and then anchoring up. And safely of course.

My neighbor has the 7.5 foot Baltik boat with the air floor. Looks kinda big on the boat (rocket launchers may have to go), but about right for price and big enough to be safe with one or two people. So far this looks decent but I'm not one to reinvent the wheel, so from those who have been there and done that.......fill me in.

We have been using an 8' zodiac type boat for years. Get a tough one and you'll have no worries.
    Another thought would be an open type (sit on top) kayak. They don't go flat and are even tougher than a zodiac.
    We run our 100 lb lab back and forth all the time.
    BK

I have a 8'9" zodiac on the roof of my Ocean Pro. It fits in front of the rocket launchers nicely. I load/unload from the bow by myself all the time.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have a 8'9" zodiac on the roof of my Ocean Pro. It fits in front of the rocket launchers nicely. I load/unload from the bow by myself all the time.
    When winter goes away again we're gonna pump my neighbors boat up and fit it.....but some quick measurements yesterday showed it hanging almost two feet off the front of the cab if I leave the rocket launchers on........I assume yours must hang out the front a ways as well?

Just bought a 9' west marine with inflatable keel on sale this weekend for 1000 my roof from front to rocket launchers was 9'8" so it fits perfect
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Looking at pics of OP's it's apparent the front end of the cabin is different, giving you more deck space above the cabin......my Raider doesn't have that little scoop or hood that OP has, instead the cabin slants back......potentially leaving me 8" to 1 foot shorter for roof storage. Hmmmmm.

Used a sit-on-top ocean kayak for that, for many years. Wear rain pants though! Very stable the one I had, Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT. Lots of other brands out there...would have to be a smaller dog, a big one likely wouldn't get on and sit still. Great for getting back and forth, tough, easy to drag up rocky beach and tie off, bears will bite but not as often as an inflatable, and easy to repair, usually only a tooth puncture and put some silicone or aquaseal in the hole.

I think the Alaska Series inflatables are the bomb. We have the 240TDS tender, 7”10”, 45lbs, about 850lb capacity. They come with a grizzly claw bottom so you don’t have to worry about puncturing. Have had ours for 6 seasons now and use it every day we’re on the water. Jim King’s show prices are about half of the online quotes. 45lbs is easy to throw on top of the boat, won’t bust your back.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Being as I'm in Juneau, how do I go about not paying the internet prices......which are substantial. I'm sure it's a quality piece of equipment but as we all know, boats have lots of ways of drawing out the Benjamins

Give Jim King a call, 907-248-2900
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I think the Alaska Series inflatables are the bomb. We have the 240TDS tender, 7”10”, 45lbs, about 850lb capacity. They come with a grizzly claw bottom so you don’t have to worry about puncturing. Have had ours for 6 seasons now and use it every day we’re on the water. Jim King’s show prices are about half of the online quotes. 45lbs is easy to throw on top of the boat, won’t bust your back.
    I had the same and agree with all above, including price, and I ordered mine over phone and paid to have it delivered in Valdez, presume you could do same for Juneau...I had a 2hp Honda on mine, rowed OK too...but really for 2 people or 3 if two of them are small. Also, any inflatable presumes that when you are on shore, bears won't have access, they love to bite em! Using a small aluminum skiff now after about 80 bear punctures