Thread: Cooper Lake in June

Default Cooper Lake in June

I haven't explored much down on the kenai peninsula, but now that i'm done guiding i'd let to get my canoe wet and get my boys out doing some stuff. Looking at cooper lake in early june, not sure when ice out usually is or any information about it. if anyone has experience down that way a PM would be really appreciated! thanks
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Brwnbr, We were up to Cooper Lake a few years ago on Memorial day weekend and it was still iced over.

ok thanks for the heads up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The road can also be in really bad shape still at that time.

Like anywhere else it depends on our spring. Last year first week of June I tried to hike the Russian lakes trail from cooper lake. You couldn't drive to cooper lake there was so much snow on the road yet almost a foot. I had to walk about 2/3 mile back to the trailhead down the road. That was on a record snowfall......this winter is shaping up to be the exact opposite...skilak lake is mostly burned off already if not all the way. Well I say that but it's been a week since I laid eyes on it and its been clear and cold at night. I will be frequenting the area most of April and may so ill be able to give you a better idea as we get closer. FYI the trails in the area are real mountain bike friendly as well as there are a couple of lakes down the Russian lakes trial worthy of fishing. Take your time on snug harbor road as it get washboardy at times but is a lot better than it used to be. Also dollies congregate near the creek that dumps in on the easterly side of the lake. I have hiked all over that area if you have further questions hit me with a pm

Jake it's a hit or miss lake for sure.. The way the weather has been this year it just may be open in early June.. Fun little lake to camp on too...

If you take the canoe down through the "narrows" towards the other end where the dam is, just as you get to the other side of the narrows on the right is a real nice place to camp usually out of the wind. Fishin' wasn't too bad right there either.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've heard there are some really nice rainbows in there

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    Like anywhere else it depends on our spring. Last year first week of June I tried to hike the Russian lakes trail from cooper lake. You couldn't drive to cooper lake there was so much snow on the road yet almost a foot. I had to walk about 2/3 mile back to the trailhead down the road. That was on a record snowfall......this winter is shaping up to be the exact opposite...skilak lake is mostly burned off already if not all the way. Well I say that but it's been a week since I laid eyes on it and its been clear and cold at night. I will be frequenting the area most of April and may so ill be able to give you a better idea as we get closer. FYI the trails in the area are real mountain bike friendly as well as there are a couple of lakes down the Russian lakes trial worthy of fishing. Take your time on snug harbor road as it get washboardy at times but is a lot better than it used to be. Also dollies congregate near the creek that dumps in on the easterly side of the lake. I have hiked all over that area if you have further questions hit me with a pm
    + 1 Mrgsholly. One other spot I really enjoy is the NW side of the lake. There is a stream that comes into the lake about half mile from the dam; and the fishing is perfect for kids. Though I went a couple of years ago and a brown bear chased a family out of camp on that stream. Oh, and camping on the islands does seem doable and fishing isn't bad there either.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you take the canoe down through the "narrows" towards the other end where the dam is, just as you get to the other side of the narrows on the right is a real nice place to camp usually out of the wind. Fishin' wasn't too bad right there either.....
    No doubt the mountains can funnel the wind right to cooper lake and make her nasty quick and in a hurry. Usually not waves larger than 3's but they can stack up nice and tight like. Has anyone any idea how deep it is? I have sounded along the south side of the lake and it Was over 400'. But I often second guess the depth finder.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgsholly View Post
    No doubt the mountains can funnel the wind right to cooper lake and make her nasty quick and in a hurry. Usually not waves larger than 3's but they can stack up nice and tight like. Has anyone any idea how deep it is? I have sounded along the south side of the lake and it Was over 400'. But I often second guess the depth finder.
    Don't recall the deepest I marked, but being a man made impoundment in a glacial valley I don't think 400' is out of the question.

Be very carefull around the islands to the west of the launch, they go from 30' to 2' real fast in some spots, not to hard to see if your looking for them but nasty if your not.

We rode up there this weekend and there is a TON of snow right now. The road in was as bad as i've ever seen it too.

Do alaska lakes stay pretty typical throughout the summer? like if i fish in july compared to august, is one time better than another? (sorry for the ignorance i just never have fished a lake in alaska before)

I would give the book "Highway Angler" a shot. That book will give you a ton of info on best and worst times to fish lakes and streams in AK.