Thread: A frustrated old school Mercury Owner....

Default A frustrated old school Mercury Owner....

I posted a thread on this last fall, and have done some work to the boat this winter.....life has taken some different turns (bought a house) so its kept me away from working on the boat this winter but as life returns to order I am only becoming more frustrated with this ole' Mercury.

I'm running an ole' 87 Mercury 70hp jet drive, and last summer it ran nice and strong. Toward the fall it would get real hard to start, then later in the fall it refused to start. I did some work to it, had terrible spark and the starter smelled like it was about to catch fire every time I started it....come to find out whoever rebuilt the starter had an extra spring that wrapped itself in the armature of the starter....shorting everything out. Replaced the solenoid, stater, all new ignition coils, wire, plugs, and recently rebuilt the fuel pump. It will now start and run....okay.....but getting it to restart (unless it sits a while) is an impossibility. Tested all the cylinders and they are all within 3 psi of each other (117-120). When I attempt to start it the fuel/oil mix is running out of the exhaust port (presumably because it is not igniting).......ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! This is getting old!!!!!!!! Any suggestions?

My last move is (and its already underway) to rebuild the carbs.....if it still doesn't work Burkeshore Marina (and I know you troll the forums ) are going to be getting a phone to work on a boat while I am on vacation sipping Mai Tai's on the beach come the end of April......

You have a fuel issue sounds like. Usually when a motor won't start hot its lean in my experience. Hopefully your carb rebuild will help. Its possible the floats arent working correctly which isnt allowing enough fuel into the mix when attempting a hot start. Did you winterize the motor properly? 2 strokes are really bad at getting gelled nasty fuel when allowed to sit.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I will second the theory of bad floats in the carbs....too much or too little fuel. If it's flooding it will obviously wet the plugs and just send fuel out the pipe without starting.

Does it turn over hard when hot or crank as usual?

I have a early 90's 115 and it takes more torque to turn over when hot but lights right off.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Don't wait to long to call, things heat up at the end of April as every one has spring fever and We have over 200 boats to get in the water. Randy will get that baby running no sweat. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by bmborum View Post
    I posted a thread on this last fall, and have done some work to the boat this winter.....life has taken some different turns (bought a house) so its kept me away from working on the boat this winter but as life returns to order I am only becoming more frustrated with this ole' Mercury.

I'm running an ole' 87 Mercury 70hp jet drive, and last summer it ran nice and strong. Toward the fall it would get real hard to start, then later in the fall it refused to start. I did some work to it, had terrible spark and the starter smelled like it was about to catch fire every time I started it....come to find out whoever rebuilt the starter had an extra spring that wrapped itself in the armature of the starter....shorting everything out. Replaced the solenoid, stater, all new ignition coils, wire, plugs, and recently rebuilt the fuel pump. It will now start and run....okay.....but getting it to restart (unless it sits a while) is an impossibility. Tested all the cylinders and they are all within 3 psi of each other (117-120). When I attempt to start it the fuel/oil mix is running out of the exhaust port (presumably because it is not igniting).......ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! This is getting old!!!!!!!! Any suggestions?

My last move is (and its already underway) to rebuild the carbs.....if it still doesn't work Burkeshore Marina (and I know you troll the forums ) are going to be getting a phone to work on a boat while I am on vacation sipping Mai Tai's on the beach come the end of April......

Yeah I am praying it is a carb issues because I have nothing left in my arsenal. Upon disassembly the floats didn't appear to sticking and the needles looked "okay" not really worn or anything. The fuel has been drained two or three times this winter between moving the tank and replacing the filters and what not. Yeah it DeFINITELY is not firing once its started and ran, AND when it does it sputters out after two maybe three revolutions. When you do try to turn it over (electric start) it fires just enough (usually) to disengage the starter.....so.....but never enough to start it, and then fuel POURS out of the exhaust......enough I need a drip pan to catch it lol. As far as winterization.....yes and no, I have been working on it off and on all winter.....and it's been in a heated garage all winter.

'cmon Borum, you ain't got that thing running yet!?...

...good luck man, I wish I had a clue to help...the only assistance I have to offer is only useful after the motor is running
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    'cmon Borum, you ain't got that thing running yet!?...

...good luck man, I wish I had a clue to help...the only assistance I have to offer is only useful after the motor is running

Lol, it's off and on. It will, then it won't....between various irons in the fire this winter it hasn't gotten as much TLC as I would've liked or my wife would've liked (since she can't park the car in the garage ) Other than that it makes a GREAT moving trailer! Puts a whole new meaning to hauling a boat load of (full in the blank). Mainly as of recent it's just dumped fuel out the exhaust. We'll see sometime this week/next weekend when those carbs get cleaned up and go back on.......you know in the middle of going back to school, work, an a master bath remodel......

If its so much its dripping you are probably way way rich. Im not familiar with your motor per say but usually there is an adjustment screw for fuel/air mixture. You may try turning that (dont go crazy you don't wanna lean it out too much or you can burn it up) and see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    If its so much its dripping you are probably way way rich. Im not familiar with your motor per say but usually there is an adjustment screw for fuel/air mixture. You may try turning that (dont go crazy you don't wanna lean it out too much or you can burn it up) and see how it works.
    It's beyond "dripping", so much so that it needs a drip pan under it. Logic would say a float is definitely stuck HOWEVER they seem to be free floating and the needles were in decent shape....so who knows. The Mercury manual from those years are slightly shady....so in some areas they have real intricate tech data, and then when it comes to other things there's nothing....add to that its printed with a dot matrix style printer and it becomes impossible to read! When I removed them the carbs were all set almost the same, about 1.5 turns backed out (from all the way in) if that makes sense....but I can't find any good data of where it should be or atleast start at......every carb with be slightly different with fuel quality, air density, etc but it'd be nice to atleast have a starting point before the $20 Jerry can of fuel I just bought ends up on the garage floor

You say the needles were in decent shape, how about the seats? Not familiar with the carbs but I have seen some where the seat looks like some sort of plastic or some tht are replaceable brass. They may be worn enough that you can't see any problem with the eye but they are definately sealing correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by bmborum View Post
    It's beyond "dripping", so much so that it needs a drip pan under it. Logic would say a float is definitely stuck HOWEVER they seem to be free floating and the needles were in decent shape....so who knows. The Mercury manual from those years are slightly shady....so in some areas they have real intricate tech data, and then when it comes to other things there's nothing....add to that its printed with a dot matrix style printer and it becomes impossible to read! When I removed them the carbs were all set almost the same, about 1.5 turns backed out (from all the way in) if that makes sense....but I can't find any good data of where it should be or atleast start at......every carb with be slightly different with fuel quality, air density, etc but it'd be nice to atleast have a starting point before the $20 Jerry can of fuel I just bought ends up on the garage floor
    Usually 7/8ths to 1.5 turns is typical so it sounds like that is good. I know you said the components were in good shape but its possible they are not in reality. The inner workings of a carb have very close clearances. A needle may be only slightly worn to make a difference. Usually there is a spring on the top end of the needle as well that my be worn and not putting it back into the seated position inside the jet letting more fuel than normal spill around it.

Lol, I almost feel dumb for admitting this but I finally solved this ghost problem I have been chasing for awhile this winter. The culprit was some ever so slightly tweaked linkage pieces which cause the linkage to not travel as far as it should....thus not opening the butterflies in the carbs to allow air in....hence why my garage floor has a big gas stain on it now.....

fixed that and the sucker sounds like a brand new two stroke! She ought to after putting on a new starter, rebuilding the fuel pump, rebuilding the carb, new coils, new solenoids, new plugs and wires.......purrrs like a kitten!

Wow. Good to hear you got it fixed. Dont feel bad none of us thought to ask you about the simple stuff either! I find that when I assume its not the simple stuff it most often is. I dont know how many times Ive changed a sensor in my car just to find out it was a bad circuit breaker.

So it's not fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    So it's not fixed?

It fixed! Fixed as fixed is gonna be until the water opens for some river trials

Oh, I thought Dustin said you had dropped it off at the Marina. Maybe it is another Inlet Drivers boat we got in. Glad you got your gremlin fixed.

Now for some summer weather!

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Oh, I thought Dustin said you had dropped it off at the Marina. Maybe it is another Inlet Drivers boat we got in. Glad you got your gremlin fixed.

Now for some summer weather!
    Lol, no it was me! You're right about it being a Gremlin....in fact you may have just named it! She ain't pretty (yet) but it is cheap and gets the job done. I think there was just a confusion of dates from my original post and when I picked it up. It's mainly a winter refurb project that'll turn into a fun little utility boat. Thanks for the help, the cable swap worked good...there was/is some minor linkage adjustments underneath the cowling that could've been done...but no fuss, I really need to see how much slack is truly there on some open river water before too many adjustments are made. Dustin and the crew out there were great to work with, you definitely got a long term customer.

Also too when y'all going to start selling river boats? Lots of lake boats out there of course being on the lake...but the north en of the Valley or the Valley in general sure could use a river boat dealer? With a Mercury Authorized Service Center seems like y'all would be an ideal candidate for another line?