Thread: Removing beaver smell from clothing

Default Removing beaver smell from clothing

Not sure if I have this in the right spot, but it is sort of trapping related! Anybody have any ideas on how to get the smell of beaver fat/castor out of a pair of Carhartts? Made contact with the hide when I was fleshing it last week, and it's coming back to bite me now. Washed them twice and soaked them in detergent for an hour, and still nothing. It's not exactly an enjoyable smell, IMO, haha! Any strange tricks that may be worth a shot? Thank you guys!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Hello Ryan. When I was about your age I accidentally trapped a skunk and managed to get some of the nasty essence on my clothes. Tomato juice was the ticket with removing that smell. I would imagine anything that can remove the smell of a skunk would be good enough for cats and beaver castor right? If that doesn't work try mixing up a bath of baking soda and warm water. Baking soda works great as a neutralizer of smells. In fact, I heard the major active ingredient in most of those scent killer products is just pure baking soda. Good luck.

I can vouch that a large quantity of tomato juice will deskunk a black lab. Can't speak to it's effectiveness on beaver.

At least one of the 'scent killers' I'm familiar with (Nature's Miracle) utilize enzymes to break down the odor causing compounds. Based on my experience with it, I would wager it would indeed do the trick, but it's pretty expensive.

As a last resort, a backyard bonfire is always an option.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Not sure if I have this in the right spot, but it is sort of trapping related! Anybody have any ideas on how to get the smell of beaver fat/castor out of a pair of Carhartts? Made contact with the hide when I was fleshing it last week, and it's coming back to bite me now. Washed them twice and soaked them in detergent for an hour, and still nothing. It's not exactly an enjoyable smell, IMO, haha! Any strange tricks that may be worth a shot? Thank you guys!
    Buy a new pair of carharts save the beaver carharts for bear baiting season. Go hang them up in a tree by your barrel.

Boil them outside for a while?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I think I would dedicate them to the skinning shed duties and buy another pair for work.
    You can try soaking them in baking soda and then washing them in that as well and hang out to air for a day or two....
    Trapping is a bit like painting - doesn't hurt to have special cloths set aside for the job!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Adding a quart of Coke to the washing machine takes away Deisel smell, maybe it will work for beaver smells.

A few months ago I was skinning some otters and got their grease on one of my shirts. It was a horrible smell that I couldn't get rid of. I washed my shirt about 3 times and still couldn't get it out. I then added Iron Out to the load of laundry and it took it right out. You can find Iron Out at the store. I typically use it to remove blood stains but in this case it also did the job for the otter stench.

Why do you want to get rid of it? Wear it proudly. A little castor behind the ear really attracts the ladies...........but muskrat is even better!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

On top of what's already been stated, better make sure you do so before you go back home to the old lady the next morning!