Thread: Rock Dock press mount?

Default Rock Dock press mount?

Anyone using this system for mounting presses?

http://www.patmarlins.com/

I have considered such a system. I had planed on a solid block of steel that was attached under the plate which connected to the press, and the early thinking was for a tapered dove tail instead of the key slots. However, my plans never got beyond a little thinking as I have yet to have more then one press I wish to use. I think the basic idea is good, though. My concern with what is shown in your link is I think it is placing a large load on some relatively small screws attaching the base pieces. I would think that the setup would get kind of loose over time and be highly dependent on the tightness of the screws into the wood.

I have the Lee system and it works OK but after the fact I would prefer Pat's system. I did get a check maker from him and it is really a quality made device.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I have the Lee system and it works OK but after the fact I would prefer Pat's system. I did get a check maker from him and it is really a quality made device.
    I second Music Man's opinion. Pat systems are quality made - both the Rock Doc and the Check Maker.

I'm fabbing up a system that uses a truck receiver hitch. Going to mount plates/male hitch sections to my vice and reloading presses.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Anyone using this system for mounting presses?

http://www.patmarlins.com/
    I use the same "system," but home made. My bench top is actually a laminate of three 3/4" layers with the top layer having a block cut out of it, and middle one right below it with a larger cutout to form the "mortise." Works on exactly the same principle, but it's flush with the counter top. I've made up lots of the "blocks" for mounting tools, plus blanks to shove in for a flush fit with the surface and return it to bare bench for other uses. Actually I have two of these cutouts, one on either side of a 4' knee hole under the bench. Slicker than goose snot, and it lets me use the same counter for everything from reloading to gunsmithing to fly tying and rod building and general home projects. Even have a bench vise on one of the blocks. No pics, but I hope you can follow my hazy description.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I'm fabbing up a system that uses a truck receiver hitch. Going to mount plates/male hitch sections to my vice and reloading presses.
    That is what I did on my last bench and it was great. I used the small class 1 receiver for little cars not the big class 3 to 5 for trucks. 6 Robblees stocks them and they are plenty stout for a press, you could swing a Ford Pinto off the things. I havenít had time to install it on my new larger bench yet though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

BrownBear, I have seen a setup like you describe and am supremely jealous! Definitely the most flexible system as long as you have the skill to make good fitting inserts. If I ever build another bench I would like to go that way. As it is I have a built in bench and the plate system of Pats looks to be the easiest "off the shelf" system.