Thread: Lowa Hunter + Superfeet question...

Default Lowa Hunter + Superfeet question...

Just curious for anyone using this combination - did you pull out the insole that came in the boot or did put the Superfeet in on top of it? I know what Superfeet suggests, but just figured I'd ask around before doing anything.

Thanks!

I pulled out the orginal and replaced with the superfeet or the fit would have been to tight in the toe box.

Have you looked at the Soles insole? Just curious why you chose the superfeet. I don't know much about aftermarket insoles but it seems like the moldable ones are the way to go.

In my experience (and others) the Lowa Sheep Hunter runs about 1/4 to 1/2 size small - lost several toe nails finding that out. I have used the Superfeet with sat. results but always remove the original insoles first.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Yep, I picked mine up last year and got them a half size larger than usual. I hadn't switched the insoles, yet, but I'd heard good things about the green superfeet. I haven't done too much with them, yet, maybe 30-40 miles or so. But, since I'm starting to train more and more, I'm wanting to go ahead and change them out so the insoles break-in along with the boots. I'm going to hold on to the ones they came with in case I don't like the superfeet, but I've heard good things about them so I figure I'd just start with them and see how I like them. Sounds like pulling the factory ones is the way to do it so I'll swap them out today and start breaking them in.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Yep, I picked mine up last year and got them a half size larger than usual. I hadn't switched the insoles, yet, but I'd heard good things about the green superfeet. I haven't done too much with them, yet, maybe 30-40 miles or so. But, since I'm starting to train more and more, I'm wanting to go ahead and change them out so the insoles break-in along with the boots. I'm going to hold on to the ones they came with in case I don't like the superfeet, but I've heard good things about them so I figure I'd just start with them and see how I like them. Sounds like pulling the factory ones is the way to do it so I'll swap them out today and start breaking them in.
    After doing so just pay REAL CLOSE attention to potential hot spots during even a short jaunt.....could save you a big headache during a long one....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    After doing so just pay REAL CLOSE attention to potential hot spots during even a short jaunt.....could save you a big headache during a long one....

Yep, that's why I'm starting now. I'd rather work through those kinks between now and the season. So far, they've been good, but I know a lot can change when I switch insoles.

Super feet are awesome! You can't go wrong. I put a set into a pair of merril hiking boots, made the boots feel better than new! I wore those boots out got another pair and used the old super feet in the new ones, still feel great!

I have been using Superfeet green in my Sheephunters for three years and like the combo. I just purchased a pair of sole foot beds for my Koflachs and like the idea of them being heat mold able and they are nice and cushy. You may want to take your boots in and try out a set of each to see which ones you like the best. Either way it is a great idea to upgrade your footbeds as the stock ones are pretty basic. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by GDinAK View Post
    I have been using Superfeet green in my Sheephunters for three years and like the combo. I just purchased a pair of sole foot beds for my Koflachs and like the idea of them being heat mold able and they are nice and cushy. You may want to take your boots in and try out a set of each to see which ones you like the best. Either way it is a great idea to upgrade your footbeds as the stock ones are pretty basic. Best of luck!

Good to know. Now that I've got em in, would you guys suggest the 'get em wet and walk em dry' method? I've got time to kill and the wife is talking about taking the baby for a walk this afternoon since the wind finally died down...

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Yep, that's why I'm starting now. I'd rather work through those kinks between now and the season. So far, they've been good, but I know a lot can change when I switch insoles.
    Good idea, as I would think the potential for them changing as they get "broke in" could possibly be quite a bit. I would think that as long as they don't make the boot too tight then you'll be fine. Where did you buy these "superfeet"...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Anyone used the 'get em wet and walk em dry' method and if so, how did you like it? Seems like a pretty good opportunity to get some blisters...

I've always just worn them until they were broken in, never really tried to speed the process...

Lowa boots and green superfeet is a great combo. Always take the original insole out of a boot when changing to a different style. If you feel the need to double up insoles then you need a better fitting boot to start with. Stacking them will only create a slipping point plus the good insole you are adding doesn't have a firm base to rest on negating their potential benefits. I have never done the "walk a wet boot dry" method to break them in. The Lowa boot isn't made real stiff like other boots that might possibly benefit from that method. I took mine out of the box 6 years ago and went after sheep in TMA.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Lowa boots and green superfeet is a great combo. Always take the original insole out of a boot when changing to a different style. If you feel the need to double up insoles then you need a better fitting boot to start with. Stacking them will only create a slipping point plus the good insole you are adding doesn't have a firm base to rest on negating their potential benefits. I have never done the "walk a wet boot dry" method to break them in. The Lowa boot isn't made real stiff like other boots that might possibly benefit from that method. I took mine out of the box 6 years ago and went after sheep in TMA.

When I picked them up at Barneys last year, they told me you could do that with them. I like knowing that, but I wasn't going to try. So far, though, I've loved them. They just still need some more work. But, I really like them, so far. They were great on Kodiak and have been excellent with the little backpacking I've done. Planning on a few miles tomorrow with a pack to get back to training.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Others have extolled the virtues of Superfeet and I'll briefly share my experience with them. I had a really bad case of planter fasciitis and needed to do something to get more support in my boots. I was in REI in ANC one day and on the sales rack was a returned, i.e., slightly used pair of Green Superfeet. They were a bit expensive new, i.e., just to try them out so I bought them used. While I didn't have Lowa boots I did have a pair of Kenetrek's Mountain boots to put them prior to a hunt. At first the high arch felt a little unusual but I kept wearing them and I was simply surprised at how much they helped with my foot support. I'll spare everyone the details, but I now have about 3-4 pair of green Superfeet insoles and I put them in all of my outdoor shoes, including my fishing waders. They may not help everyone, but for me they did wonders. One last thing, in all of my shoes/boots, I pulled out the manufactures insole and replaced it with the Superfeet insole. Leaving both in either felt uncomfortable or took up too much room in the shoe.

Another +1 for sheep hunting boots and superfeet...

I've used the Green Superfeet in Lowa's with positive results. Note that Superfeet come in Blue (leave the original insole in the shoe) and Green (remove the original insole). I haven't had a need to wear the boots dry method and I've had two pair.

Good luck.