Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Help with the Regs...interpretation

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    105

    Default Help with the Regs...interpretation

    This September I am headed down to Admirality Island for what is looking like an awesome Bear and deer hunt. Admirality Island is a "One Bear every 4 regulatory year" area.

    The "Gray" area -
    Hunting licenses run from Jan 1 - Dec 31 yearly...right?
    Griz tags run from July 1 - Jun 30 yearly....right?

    If the above is right, then I should be able to shoot a Griz NOW in the Unit 20 area (1 per regulatory year), then go down and shoot one on Admirality Island in September...since a new regulatory year has started.....right?

    I'm a legal kinda guy and don't want to ruin my hunt on Admirality because I shot a bear near Fairbanks, and I don't want to shoot one here, then one on Admirality and violate the game laws.

    So my question is...Can I shoot one now in ANY GMU that has a 1 bear a year limit AND THEN go to Admirality in September and shoot one there?

    Lets also throw in the hypothetical....
    If I shot one Griz in a 2 bear per year GMU, could I then hunt and shoot a bear in a 1 bear per year (or every 4 years) GMU?

  2. #2
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Thumbs up

    "Regulatory year" is the June 30/July 1 cutoff so it doesn't matter about the hunting license dates. Basic rule is if you shoot one in the spring, you are good to go for the fall. Just don't shoot another one next spring!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  3. #3
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default according to the regs...

    "If you kill a bear in any of the one bear every regulatory year you may kill a bear in any legal area of the state during the next regulatory year." Seems to me that you would be legal. A quick phone call would confirm this.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  4. #4

    Default Check w/ F&G!!

    I would make the call to Fish & Game a priority. They generally explain things very well.

    It was my undersating that if you wanted to hunt in a 1 bear every 4 regulatory years then you could not have shot a bear in any area the prior 3 years. I have done little reasearch on this so I could be completely wrong.

    Isn't it fun how everyone seems to understand all of these regs differently??!!!

    Good luck.

    I am curious to find out what you hear.

    Todd



    After re-reading the Regs it appears that you will be OK. Sorry for the confusion
    Last edited by NE to AK; 05-09-2007 at 16:37.

  5. #5
    Member AKBighorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    As for the hypothetical question, I would say you would be ok if you flopped the order of events but not they way you asked it.

  6. #6
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    I think Bighorn is right. You would have to bag the first bear in the "one per year" area then go to the two bear area for your second.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KirovPDR View Post
    This September I am headed down to Admirality Island for what is looking like an awesome Bear and deer hunt. Admirality Island is a "One Bear every 4 regulatory year" area.

    The "Gray" area -
    Hunting licenses run from Jan 1 - Dec 31 yearly...right?
    Griz tags run from July 1 - Jun 30 yearly....right?

    If the above is right, then I should be able to shoot a Griz NOW in the Unit 20 area (1 per regulatory year), then go down and shoot one on Admirality Island in September...since a new regulatory year has started.....right?

    I'm a legal kinda guy and don't want to ruin my hunt on Admirality because I shot a bear near Fairbanks, and I don't want to shoot one here, then one on Admirality and violate the game laws.

    So my question is...Can I shoot one now in ANY GMU that has a 1 bear a year limit AND THEN go to Admirality in September and shoot one there?

    Lets also throw in the hypothetical....
    If I shot one Griz in a 2 bear per year GMU, could I then hunt and shoot a bear in a 1 bear per year (or every 4 years) GMU?
    Obviosly before you go on this hunt you NEED to call the troopers and get the "official" word. No one on this forum will be helping you out at trial! But I am confident that the answer to your question is no. If you take a bear in a GMU that allows 1 bear every regulatory year and then go to a more restrictive GMU, you must abide by the more restrictive GMU's regulations (ie you must wait 4 years to take a bear in the other GMU). But say you take a bear in GMU 4 and wait one regulatory year you could take another bear in the GMU that allows one bear every regulatory year.

    I had a friend that got this answer directly from the troopers a little while back. It really changed his hunt plans.

    Good luck!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    78

    Default

    You can shoot a Grizz in unit 20 this spring and then go to Admiralty this fall and shoot another browny. The one bear every 4 year areas only pertain to areas that are 1 bear every 4 years. You couldnt shoot one in Kodiak this spring and then one on Admiralty this fall.

  9. #9
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    You would be legal. I shot a Kodiak brown bear last spring and bought another brown bear tag for a fall griz hunt in the Petersville area (one bear every regulatory year). If I was successful in the fall, I wouldn't be able to hunt any brown bears this spring.

  10. #10
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    Obviosly before you go on this hunt you NEED to call the troopers and get the "official" word. No one on this forum will be helping you out at trial!
    The info in my post above came directly from the F&G office in Anchorage yesterday.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  11. #11

    Default

    AK Mud the info about this regulation is on the top of page 14 of the 2007 hunting regulations. Here is what is says:

    "You may hunt a species if the bag limit in your hunt area is greater than the number of animals of that species you have already taken anywhere in the state. If the limit is greater, you may take the number of animals needed to reach that limit."

    But the converse is true the regs go on to give this example:

    "For example: If you took one black bear from unit 6 (which has a limit of one black bear) and then go to unit 9 (which has a limit of three black bears) you may take up to two more black bears in unit 9. But if you hunt unit 9 first (limit of three black bears) and take one black bear, you may not hunt bear anywhere in unit 6 (limit one black bear) within the same regulatory year because you have attained the bag limit for that unit."

    I don't see the gray area in this regulation. Pretty clear cut if you ask me.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    You can shoot a Grizz in unit 20 this spring and then go to Admiralty this fall and shoot another browny. The one bear every 4 year areas only pertain to areas that are 1 bear every 4 years. You couldnt shoot one in Kodiak this spring and then one on Admiralty this fall.

    Tony, That isn't true. Check out the regs and my previous post. If you take a bear in unit 20, you can't take a bear in unit 4 until you have waited 4 regulatory years after you took the bear in unit 20.

  13. #13
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default Two different situations being discussed.

    Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    AK Mud the info about this regulation is on the top of page 14 of the 2007 hunting regulations. Here is what is says:

    "You may hunt a species if the bag limit in your hunt area is greater than the number of animals of that species you have already taken anywhere in the state. If the limit is greater, you may take the number of animals needed to reach that limit."

    But the converse is true the regs go on to give this example:

    "For example: If you took one black bear from unit 6 (which has a limit of one black bear) and then go to unit 9 (which has a limit of three black bears) you may take up to two more black bears in unit 9. But if you hunt unit 9 first (limit of three black bears) and take one black bear, you may not hunt bear anywhere in unit 6 (limit one black bear) within the same regulatory year because you have attained the bag limit for that unit."

    I don't see the gray area in this regulation. Pretty clear cut if you ask me.
    I think you are talking about the "hypothetical" question he asked at the end of his post. You are right, he has to take the bear in the more limited area first then go to the area with a more liberal limit.

    As far as his original question goes, one bear every 4 regulatory years (Admiralty) and 1 each regulatory year in area 20. If he takes one in the spring (regulatory year '06/'07) then one in the fall (regulatory year '07/'08) he is completely legal. He won't be able to take another one on Admiralty for 4 regulatory years, but he will be able to take another in unit 20 after July 1, '08.

    If you take a bear in one of the "1 every 4 year" areas, that doesn't mean you can't take another one throughout the state for 4 years, it only applies to that specific area.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  14. #14

    Default

    Page 25 2007 Regs

    "If you kill a bear in any of these "one bear per regulatory year" areas in Units ........20....., you may kill a bear in any legal area of the state during the next regulatory year."

    So yes, he would be legal to go from a 1 per year 06/07 to a 1 per 4 years in 07/08.

    5 AAC 92.132. Bag limit for brown bears

    http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section132.htm

    A person may not take more than one brown bear every four regulatory years, except that

    (1) the bag limit for brown bear in Units 6 (except Unit 6(D)), 11, 12, 13 (except in Denali State Park), 16(A), 17 - 21, 22, (except Unit 22(C)), and 23 - 26 is one bear per regulatory year; a bear taken in these units does not count against the one bear every four regulatory years' bag limit established for brown bears in other units; in Unit 20(E), a person may take two brown bears; a bear taken in this unit does not count against the one bear every four regulatory years' bag limit established for brown bears in other units;

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    122

    Default Yes and no.

    If the above is right, then I should be able to shoot a Griz NOW in the Unit 20 area (1 per regulatory year), then go down and shoot one on Admirality Island in September...since a new regulatory year has started.....right?

    Yes, read the top of page 25 in the Alaska Hunting Regs.

    Lets also throw in the hypothetical....
    If I shot one Griz in a 2 bear per year GMU, could I then hunt and shoot a bear in a 1 bear per year (or every 4 years) GMU?

    No, top of page 25, again.

  16. #16
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    If the above is right, then I should be able to shoot a Griz NOW in the Unit 20 area (1 per regulatory year), then go down and shoot one on Admirality Island in September...since a new regulatory year has started.....right?
    Correct, since it would be a new regulatory year.

  17. #17

    Default Go to go if you...

    shoot a bear in the spring in a 1 every year unit. Like stated, June 30 is the end of the regulatory year, so July 1 is the start. Kind of my thought is shoot one in the spring so you can shoot another in the fall. Don't do it backwards!

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    78

    Default

    CapNcrunch
    I'm not wrong.
    Tony

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    CapNcrunch
    I'm not wrong.
    Tony
    Looks like you are right, I am wrong. I got my info from a ADFG biologist last year, I should have researched my answer better before I gave it.

    I feel pretty bad, since I read the regs a lot and try to keep up on them.

    Sorry guys.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    78

    Default

    No problem CapNCrunch. Just as long as Kirovpdr gets the right info all is good

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •