Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Spring Black Bear--If you are new to the area or boating, Let me go W/ You!

Default PWS Spring Black Bear--If you are new to the area or boating, Let me go W/ You!

I use to have a boat, ran it for 5 seasons out there in the spring. Last spring with my boat was in 08. I use to have a bait in a bay that was very successful, nobody has baited there since, was out there last year to that bay. I have been to about every bay from Port wells to Knight island, and from Kings bay to Eaglik bay. Also Latouche and Elrington and bainbridge. Hunted bears closer in as I didn't have a Deep V boat. Have a few hot spots, one on knight island, furthest that direction, and "my bay" which is closer in.

I am willing to show anyone around. Help with the harvest if first timers, skin bear and such, and also set up bait station in my old location and can become "your bay"! 11 bears we pulled outa that bay, 9 of which were in 13 months, spring 07 and spring 08, 4,5 respectively. Have a chance to hunt on two buddies's boats, but not sure how often. So trade my experience for some time on the water showing ya around and bears, or explore your own areas ya want to go and have a bear hunter w/ lots of experience on board. Just a thought, throwing it out there!

Sounds like a good deal. Iím waiting on my boat rite now. Itís a SeaArk Predator 220 and mainly a river boat, but it should handle some fair weather on the Sound. If all goes well, the boat should arrive in the middle of April. If you know any sweet spots in Whittier Passage Chanel, Iíd like to take you up on your offer. Iíve never baited before and I donít know about the regs to do so. I"d like to learn some new tricks. I work 3 and 4 days a week, so I have lots of time to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Sounds like a good deal. Iím waiting on my boat rite now. Itís a SeaArk Predator 220 and mainly a river boat, but it should handle some fair weather on the Sound. If all goes well, the boat should arrive in the middle of April. If you know any sweet spots in Whittier Passage Chanel, Iíd like to take you up on your offer. Iíve never baited before and I donít know about the regs to do so. I"d like to learn some new tricks. I work 3 and 4 days a week, so I have lots of time to get out.
    Well there is not really any place in the canal, cabins and such things in there. Had a map once that showed all the cabins, might have been from F&G, unit 6. Had a bait once at the tip of Pigot point off a tidal slough, never produced a hit, just tracks of a wolverine. Not sure about the left side of canal as you leave, still think there was something over there though, loggin camp maybe. Is that sea ark a flat bottom boat?

It is a flat bottom, bot it does have a V bow. I am going to try the canal in May. I'll let you Know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    It is a flat bottom, bot it does have a V bow. I am going to try the canal in May. I'll let you Know how it turns out.
    Passage Canal and the rest of PWS is really no place to tool around with a jon boat. Even Passage can see 6-8 footers at times and a 3 foot chop can whip up very quick. The wakes of the ferry and cruise ships could give those low sides a test, as well. Not trying to be a downer, but you might want to re-evaluate your plan.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Passage Canal and the rest of PWS is really no place to tool around with a jon boat. Even Passage can see 6-8 footers at times and a 3 foot chop can whip up very quick. The wakes of the ferry and cruise ships could give those low sides a test, as well. Not trying to be a downer, but you might want to re-evaluate your plan.
    There are bad weather days but there are good ones too. If you respect the water and dont get dumb you can do a lot with a small boat. I manage pretty good with mine but I am very careful. I was wanting to give the PWS a shot for a bear this year as well. I will just monitor the weather very closely and not be afraid to turn around or get off the water very quickly.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    There are bad weather days but there are good ones too. If you respect the water and dont get dumb you can do a lot with a small boat. I manage pretty good with mine but I am very careful. I was wanting to give the PWS a shot for a bear this year as well. I will just monitor the weather very closely and not be afraid to turn around or get off the water very quickly.
    I agree about the weather out there, but will hold fast with my opinion about jon boats out on the Sound. I spend upwards of 50 days a season out there and would never attempt it. The Coasties are busy enough as it is. Lots of other options out there.

I agree about the weather out there, but will hold fast with my opinion about jon boats out on the Sound. I spend upwards of 50 days a season out there and would never attempt it. The Coasties are busy enough as it is. Lots of other options out there.
    Yup! I was waiting to hear for sure on type of hull before I made another comment. I too don't recommend it, passage canal is the worse! Seen about every type of scenario there is out there. Very shocking to run back to port across the sound on glass, to hit passage canal and have 3'ers cause of tide and slight breeze. Sometimes it all blows up all over, even on a sunny day, gets a nasty breeze and just sloppy confused chop all over. Left in 6' rollers one time at decision point. Ran out to surprise cove, tooled around the whole bay, popped out and it was all glass in less than hour, but the weather man was calling for that, and for once..................was dead on!

I will not be caught in a flat bottom river boat out there. Seen it before. Only time I got mad was when a boat was about to leave, river boat maybe 16', and they yelled, two kids were getting life jackets from the kids don't float rack. If you choose to put yourself in harms way, that's fine by me, very well could be worth the risk. But don't put little kids in that situation!! Def bears in passage canal, you'll get scared for sure with wind, chop, or just tidal movements causing 2' pitching waves, huging the shore don't always work! Def an awesome place out there and can see why guys risk it! But I am not gonna suggest it!

Yeah but getting off the water very quickly can take hours! Gotta watch the water, weather, and how big of a tide that day. Small boat is one thing, but a small flat bottom boat is a whole nother story! You'll get tempted to run further cause it's glass, then it changes, you get pounded, and learn a hard lesson, been there done that man! It's just not worth it!! Heck, even other boats wake throw you around! Those flat bottom boats slam hard even on a lake or river getting passed or hitting a choppy section, been there done that too! Passage canal is around 9 miles long, very easy to get tricked into running around either corner into blackstone or pigot bay, even out to culross or ester, that for sure is what can get you into trouble quick, especially early season when not many people are out but the weather is usually awesome. Very rare the water stays glass for a whole weekend! It can, seen it, but seen it blow up in areas more often than not, even just 2'ers in certain areas can pound a ocean boat, last we had that coming out of nellie juan area headed back to culross passage, got that a few times in my boat I had too, which only had 10 degree deadrise. So a flat bottom boat is just gonna really take a pounding, be miserable, cold, wet-even on a sunny day. Good stiff breezes kick up, seen it so hard that water stays flat! But chills you to the bone in no time. Be Wise out there!

A forum member got me in touch with a fellow with a brand new boat he bought, then wad deployed, so first chance he has to have ever used it. So far it seems he will want to bait. His motors need broke in, a few other things to check out. So it seems he will be needing my assistance all spring possibly, and I am more than willing! Plus don't know of a more deserving guy than somone who is currently serving our country! Of course it's gonna be big shoes to fit to get everyone involved a bear, will do my darndest! Want to be on the water in early April burning off his old gas and checking things out on the boat. It's an ocean boat too, so will be sea worthy and he already laid down the law about his confidence and sketchy weather days! Which is awesome, casue he's the captain! We met yesterday. Really stoked for spring now!

Glad ya found somebody like him to take out. Once ya find out the boat name, let us know. I'm sure we will run into you sooner or later when we are glassing the hills too.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Right on man. Glad you'll have a way to get back on the water. If you see us out there say hey.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I remember leaving Whittier one day and it was total glass and blue sky. Ran out 35 miles. Played around for half the day. Coming back hit 7 footers with white caps in Wells and ended up holding up in Ziegler in Pigot because getting into Passage was not going to be safe. There was 12 other boats in there with me and my 22 foot Hewes was one of the smallest. Everyone was getting pounded and all the radio chatter was people saying holy crap. It didn't lay down enough to get out of there until around 9:30PM, even then Passage was solid 4 footers. Forecast was 10 and 2......

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I remember leaving Whittier one day and it was total glass and blue sky. Ran out 35 miles. Played around for half the day. Coming back hit 7 footers with white caps in Wells and ended up holding up in Ziegler in Pigot because getting into Passage was not going to be safe. There was 12 other boats in there with me and my 22 foot Hewes was one of the smallest. Everyone was getting pounded and all the radio chatter was people saying holy crap. It didn't lay down enough to get out of there until around 9:30PM, even then Passage was solid 4 footers. Forecast was 10 and 2......
    Yup love it when weather man is wrong! Usually 10 and 2 will be glass or flat! I use to have it pretty down pat when came to that, up to 4'ers with certain wind and direction I knew I could make it out. A few times I didn't go, to only hear it was total glass after all! Ya just never know! But some areas are more predictable than others.

Well yeah I had to look for a way on the water, since you NEVER invite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K Your boat would be a bad influence on me, I already know that is what I want, get a ride and I'll be getting one on order!! If I see ya, I'll act like a pirate and take your boat!! LOL Was cool that one time we ran into each other and you got some good shots of us fishing! Yup, love it out there man

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Yeah but getting off the water very quickly can take hours! Gotta watch the water, weather, and how big of a tide that day. Small boat is one thing, but a small flat bottom boat is a whole nother story! You'll get tempted to run further cause it's glass, then it changes, you get pounded, and learn a hard lesson, been there done that man! It's just not worth it!! Heck, even other boats wake throw you around! Those flat bottom boats slam hard even on a lake or river getting passed or hitting a choppy section, been there done that too! Passage canal is around 9 miles long, very easy to get tricked into running around either corner into blackstone or pigot bay, even out to culross or ester, that for sure is what can get you into trouble quick, especially early season when not many people are out but the weather is usually awesome. Very rare the water stays glass for a whole weekend! It can, seen it, but seen it blow up in areas more often than not, even just 2'ers in certain areas can pound a ocean boat, last we had that coming out of nellie juan area headed back to culross passage, got that a few times in my boat I had too, which only had 10 degree deadrise. So a flat bottom boat is just gonna really take a pounding, be miserable, cold, wet-even on a sunny day. Good stiff breezes kick up, seen it so hard that water stays flat! But chills you to the bone in no time. Be Wise out there!

True that. I have a "v" bottom so I dont take quite the hammering in my small craft. I do get wet and a little cold every now and then but nothing an extra layer cant take care of. I am very careful and have yet to find myself in a situation where I was thinking "this is gonna be bad". I pride myself on being a wuss and not taking stupid risks with my life. I have a kid to look out for after all. But on the other side of the coin I am going to get adventurous enough to have a good time.

True that. I have a "v" bottom so I dont take quite the hammering in my small craft. I do get wet and a little cold every now and then but nothing an extra layer cant take care of. I am very careful and have yet to find myself in a situation where I was thinking "this is gonna be bad". I pride myself on being a wuss and not taking stupid risks with my life. I have a kid to look out for after all. But on the other side of the coin I am going to get adventurous enough to have a good time.
    Amazing what seeing a car seat or two in the rear view mirror does to the 'wuss' factor, eh? What kind of skiff are you running? My first boat I used out on the Sound was an 18' Klamath with an evinrude 70. We spent a week out there one spring chasing black fuzzys. We went all the out into Port Bainbridge. The caveat here was that we had lots of extra food and were prepared to wait out the weather if it would have showed. I wouldn't have done it in a flat bottom jon boat, but that Klamath was fine for a couple of guys that kept their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Well yeah I had to look for a way on the water, since you NEVER invite me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K Your boat would be a bad influence on me, I already know that is what I want, get a ride and I'll be getting one on order!! If I see ya, I'll act like a pirate and take your boat!! LOL Was cool that one time we ran into each other and you got some good shots of us fishing! Yup, love it out there man
    Haha! One of these days we will have to hook up for a trip. I keep thinking you'll have another boat in no time.

Good times!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363752622.903197.jpg

You Sir hit the nail on the head! Good on ya, gotta have adventures ya know!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Haha! One of these days we will have to hook up for a trip. I keep thinking you'll have another boat in no time.

Good times!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363752622.903197.jpg
    You Sir, just brought a smile to my face! Loved that boat and sure had tons of fun! Even the dog was fishing! Don't think it was trip, but she went in after a silver once! Plus once in Homer after a she saw a Sea otter! Ah the memories! That was an old guy from Indiana fishing w/us that day, he has been in bad health about ever since shortly after. He absolutely loved it up here! Took another guy once too, had dimensia(sp)? but seemed to have a good time on an over night trip. He passed a few years later at the most, I hope it gave them both a sense of being younger and enjoying life. Na not getting another anytime soon, unless............................................ .. you or your wife have any single sisters?! LOL, seriously! Just gonna enjoy helping others out for now and show them right ways in areas, incase no boats to follow and just build their skills.

Amazing what seeing a car seat or two in the rear view mirror does to the 'wuss' factor, eh? What kind of skiff are you running? My first boat I used out on the Sound was an 18' Klamath with an evinrude 70. We spent a week out there one spring chasing black fuzzys. We went all the out into Port Bainbridge. The caveat here was that we had lots of extra food and were prepared to wait out the weather if it would have showed. I wouldn't have done it in a flat bottom jon boat, but that Klamath was fine for a couple of guys that kept their heads.
    I have a 16' smoker craft. Similar shape to the klamath's. When ever we go out we take good emergency supplies. One of the best tools I have come across is a jet boil and those freeze dried meals. You can pack a ton of extra food using very little weight and space.

Im really looking forward to this springs adventure. Hopefully the weather cooperates so I dont have to chicken out.

Your no downer. Thanks for the heads up. If I do go out there, it will be on thouse glass water days and not far from port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast