Thread: Savage Bear Hunter- anyone have insight/ knowledge

Default Savage Bear Hunter- anyone have insight/ knowledge

anyone know anything about the Savage Bear Hunter 300 WSM with the muzzle break, and fluted barrel. It has the acustock and the acutrigger?

No days if a company puts bear or guide in the name of a rifle folks think it must be the in thing in Alaska. I really doubt many here with make this their bear gun just like guides didn't jump all over the Marlin guide gun. First thing they should do is knock off the muzzel break and add sights.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have the savage 300WSM 116 weather warrior. Pretty much the same gun as the ABH model. I bought this gun because I liked the Alaska bear hunter but I didn't need the fancy camo stock and muzzle break and didn't want to pay for it.... I still have the accustock and trigger and I really like my rifle. Fast, strait, and deadly right out of the box.
    If you go with the alaska bear hunter let me know I have a two piece leupold scope base for a good price if interested.

Longkj

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    No days if a company puts bear or guide in the name of a rifle folks think it must be the in thing in Alaska. I really doubt many here with make this their bear gun just like guides didn't jump all over the Marlin guide gun. First thing they should do is knock off the muzzel break and add sights.
    Amigo I agree completely except your take on the marlin guide gun....it is incredibly popular with a lot of guides, both here in Canada and AK.

I have an earlier 116 model, pre accu-stock and accu-trigger in 338WM. It was called the AK series and has the fluted barrel and muzzle brake. I had to change out the stock and had the trigger gone through. At that time an aftermarket trigger wasn't even available (it's been about 14 years or so). Long story short it has been the most accurate rifle I own. The bear hunter model is as solid a rifle as most out there though it is a little heavy. Don't let the others negative opinion about the muzzle brake deter you. The muzzle brake on the Savage can be turned off with just a turn of the brake. I like being able to open the brake for bench shooting on hard hitting calibers. As for the open sights well........ there are some advantages but it all depends on what you intend to use the rifle for. The bear hunter is not an up close and personal rifle. That's the brush hunter series in 375 Ruger. It's a fact that more and more rifles in todays market are not coming with open sights. There are several reasons why but I won't get into that argument.

I don't think the 300wsm would be my first choice for a coastal brown bear caliber but it's great for everthing else. The bottom line is Savage makes very accurate rifles. Their pricing has come up in recent years though they still appear to me to be a good buy. Get a good scope, quality ammunition and have at it!

Good Luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Amigo I agree completely except your take on the marlin guide gun....it is incredibly popular with a lot of guides, both here in Canada and AK.
    Don't know of any big game guides but ya many fishing guides tour guides. You will be hard pressed to find an Alaskan hunting guide using a 45-70 of any style.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you