Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use a 270 Winchester in Alaska?

Default Anybody use a 270 Winchester in Alaska?

I use a 270 Winchester for a lot of things here in western Colorado. Do folks in Alaska use them much If the libs keep up the crap their doing here in Colorado I'll be moving north! Then I'd have to carry my 338 Win Mag more.

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I don't think it is particularly popular up here based on the fact that I've never run into anyone except me who regularly uses one. I love mine. I have killed moose and caribou with it, and I will be taking it sheep hunting this year. I would also have no second thoughts about using it for black bear.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I don't currently own one but i'm shopping. I won't carry it down here on the peninsula but I want to have one for hunting up north in the tundra or out on Kodiak/Adak. I really like the round in a classic wood gun, if I was rich I'd have bought one of several Ruger #1s in .270 or a beautifull Mark X in a Mannlicher stock.

I worked for Joe Beatty, a cattle rancher on Kodiak when I was a kid. He shot 12 brown bear with his Rem 721 in 270 WCF

I was in Nome for my first 6 years in Ak and didn't bring a rifle with me. I bought a beater Interarms mauser in 270Win and shot several moose with it. It worked fine and if that was all I had it would still work fine.

I'm pretty new to the .270- I bought one last year and wonder why I waited so long. Probably tote it for caribou and perhaps black bear and given a reasonable shot- I'd not blink at shooting a moose with one either. I probably wouldn't carry it down in the thick country but I'm mostly an open tundra and mountain kind of guy and there's nothing wrong with the .270 when the terrain opens up.

I have several acquaintances who use one almost exclusively with little complaint. It probably has a bigger following here than most realize.

Modern bullets have done nothing except make a good cartridge even better.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I don't currently own one but i'm shopping. I won't carry it down here on the peninsula but I want to have one for hunting up north in the tundra or out on Kodiak/Adak. I really like the round in a classic wood gun, if I was rich I'd have bought one of several Ruger #1s in .270 or a beautifull Mark X in a Mannlicher stock.
    I have an excellent condition Remington 700 Classic I would talk to you about. Very accurate too.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Modern bullets have done nothing except make a good cartridge even better.
    This is true of many "classic" cartridges. The 270 was always a good one, and modern bullets make it better than it ever was. The very first animal I killed with mine was a moose. I like it so much that I occasionally have to remind myself that I do still have other guns.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I love the .270. Plenty of folks out in the bush who have not been affected by magnumitus use the .270 for everything. Out in villages in Southwest Alaska it is probably a close second to the '06 in popularity... but then, plenty of folks use the .243 and even .223 also.

To me the 30-06 equals it with the 270's biggest bullets but the 06 can go to 220's no problem.For me the 06 just gives more in the same action.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    To me the 30-06 equals it with the 270's biggest bullets but the 06 can go to 220's no problem.For me the 06 just gives more in the same action.
    But...
    ... the .270 can be loaded down to a 100 grain bullet, so you can kill a moose with a 165 or 180 grain bullet or kill a wolf with a 100 grainer.

Love my .270....
    Proud to be an American!

Just got a new Stevens .270 this year, what's a good round for moose and black bear? Usually use cor-lokt 180s in my '06. I don't handload.
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

With the 06 the 100gr is 3,450fps where my book shows the 270 100gr at 3,350.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My mountain rifle is a tikka superlite in .270 Win. I haven't killed a sheep with it yet, but I did take my deer on kodiak with it, as well as a cross fox. And no it didn't blow the fox up. I loaned it to my buddy today who just took his first caribou with it. It's a great cartridge, and will do a lot for you up here.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

One of the very first folks I met in AK had a homestead out in Skwentna for a long time before relocating to Anchorage. He had an ancient Husqvarna .270- it was his only rifle and he'd killed a pile of moose, black bear, caribou, and one really pissed off grizzly.

Oddly enough the rifle was missing the front sight blade... he never knew it was supposed to have one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

25+ years ago, I cut my teeth on a 270, and I currently own three of them. To this day, it's the only centerfire rifle cartridge I've ever carried in the field. And so far, it's "only" taken sheep, caribou, and deer for me. I have no doubt it would have no problem taking a moose.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I love the .270. Plenty of folks out in the bush who have not been affected by magnumitus use the .270 for everything.
    That's just it, and what makes it such a great round......pretty much magnum velocities without the belt...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yep, my hunting partner has one and it worked well on everything from sheep and goats to caribou. He has a No.1 but he used his 450 Alaskan on deer when hunting Admiralty, too may big brown furry things to contend with there. Jim

All said and done with your 270 and 338 you are well covered in most of the world.Just bring a 22lr and shotgun too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast