Thread: Minto Lakes

Default Minto Lakes

Hello. I'm wondering if Minto Lakes is the same thing as Minto Flats. The Minto Lakes I'm mentioning are about 3 miles west of the end of Murphy Dome Rd. Either way, are there good pike numbers in the Minto Lakes? I would certainly assume so.

Also, is the end of Murphy Dome Rd. a relatively safe place to park for a couple of days?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thumbs down Minto

The lakes are part of the flats. I haven't been down the road in a while but it leads down to the Chatanika river which you would then boat to the lakes and the flats. Never heard of anyone walking in there, to much water and swamp after you get to the river. The road is a bit longer than 3 miles and a challenge for a 4 wheel drive also. Just a note, ADFG has an emergency order for pike in Minto which I think limits your catch to 2 fish, one a certain size. You need to check their website. It appears subsistance use took it's toll on the population.

I was hoping to drive back there (2-wheel truck/rear differential lock option) and put my kayak in at the river and paddle over to the lakes. I didn't plan on keeping any pike, but thank you for the emergency update. I was thinking I'd maybe paddle back to the truck and sleep in there overnight for 2-4 nights. I'm just having pike shakes because I haven't caught any of size since I left MN a year ago.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thumbs up Sorry

What you are talking about is very doable. The river is nice and slow in there with not much current. I've seen the populations drop before throughout the years but never failled to catch pike while going in there. Just don't expect any monsters. But you never know. Don't just target the lakes but also nice looking holes and sloughs also. I would try to find out the condition of the road as I've been stuck with a 4 wheel drive but at different times seen it where a 2 wheel drive could make it. Murphy Dome is high so there could still be some snow drifts on north facing slopes. Also we have never had our vehicle broken into down there but anything could happen. I think you would have a great trip.

I think it's about 13 miles of river from the end of the road to Goldstream Creek, then another 5 or 6 miles up Goldstream til you get into the flats, if I remember right. The "as the crow flies" distance ain't too far, but it's quite a ways if the crow is paddling a kayak upstream to get back to his truck. Two wheel drive would usually work for most of the road, but there are almost always a couple real bad mudholes toward the bottom of the road. I've had a truck broken into down there, and have heard other folks havin the same problem, but that was several years ago ('95, I think)

If you're looking for kayak access to the pike fishing, putting in at the village of Minto might be a better bet.

Once you get in there though, you can get decent numbers of decent sized fish. My biggest was 42", and probably a couple dozen well over 36" over the years.

Default pretty torn up

The last half mile of the road was really torn up with ruts 2 to 3 feet deep in places and three culverts washed out. Unless someone did some work after october last year i would not try to take a 2 wheel drive in there, I would even question a four wheel drive right now. In a few months the road will have been repaired some, but as of right now you would need to hike the last half mile. Maybe you should look into the lakes around the tok area near the river they are all full of big pike.