Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non pelagic and pelagic rockfish

Default non pelagic and pelagic rockfish

Ok so I'm asking for some help in the rockfish area. I have yet to find a good book with actual photos of the different species they are either an artist drawings of the fish or an underwater water photo. And the one fish and game has in the regs does not help much. So if you have a photo of you or someone holding a non pelagic or pelagic rockfish please post it here and say what kind and if its either non pelagic or pelagic . I know I'll print them out and put them in my I.D book in the boat. Unless someone has a quick reference book with "GREAT PHOTOS" they know off. But I think I have them all

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Guide to Northeast Pacific Rockfishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ok so I'm asking for some help in the rockfish area. I have yet to find a good book with actual photos of the different species they are either an artist drawings of the fish or an underwater water photo. And the one fish and game has in the regs does not help much. So if you have a photo of you or someone holding a non pelagic or pelagic rockfish please post it here and say what kind and if its either non pelagic or pelagic . I know I'll print them out and put them in my I.D book in the boat. Unless someone has a quick reference book with "GREAT PHOTOS" they know off. But I think I have them all

Thanks
    ftp://ftp.afsc.noaa.gov/posters/pJOr...shes-of-ak.pdf

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/Rockfish-Game/gamemenu.htm
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    Guide to Northeast Pacific Rockfishes.

http://seagrant.uaf.edu/bookstore/ca...Field%20Guides

We have several guidebooks in the store, selected specifically for this. Check out: http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=565

There are others as well. Look under"guidebooks".

We also have a discussion of this on our Rockfish Page. Check it out!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks !! Great pages and links I never even knew about. That will help me a bunch

Thanks

We have most of those in our store, and are looking at adding one of the rockfish resources.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Go down to fish and game in Anchorage and ask for a poster. I have one and its great. Has about 25 different rockfish on it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

BARBS YELLOWEYE.jpgYellow Eye. My Favorite Fish to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    BARBS YELLOWEYE.jpgYellow Eye. My Favorite Fish to eat.
    Thats a pretty meaty one right there. Bet he was eating good.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I had a question about rock fish too. How long do they live? Ive heard some say well over 100. Others are skeptical. Maybe someone with actual knowledge can way in here.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I had a question about rock fish too. How long do they live? Ive heard some say well over 100. Others are skeptical. Maybe someone with actual knowledge can way in here.
    Shortrakers can live over 150 years and rougheyes over 200. I sampled a shortraker out of Whittier in 2000 that was born in 1887.

http://mtalab.adfg.alaska.gov/ADU/maxagetable.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Go down to fish and game in Anchorage and ask for a poster. I have one and its great. Has about 25 different rockfish on it.

Will do! I have to stop by next week and pick up a shrimping permit

I got mine laminated at a ups store. Will last forever now.

2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Thats a pretty meaty one right there. Bet he was eating good.
    She was great eating. Official Weigh in was 25.7 pounds 11 hours after it was caught. She had over 1/2 gallon of eggs in her and when we pulled her out for weigh in , there was close to a quart of eggs inside the fish box not counting the 1/2 gallon or so upon cleaning.. Belly was compariable to a basketball.

I'm a bit skeptical on the way they age those fish. If they truly were that old, they'd have been fished out ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm a bit skeptical on the way they age those fish. If they truly were that old, they'd have been fished out ages ago.
    Non-pelagics (like yelloweye) HAVE been fished out in some areas. Because they tend to remain on the same rock pile their entire lives, they are very susceptible to overfishing. I fished with a charter operator on Kodiak who used to be a commercial fisherman out there for many years. He no longer targets yelloweye because he noticed that rock piles that once produced an abundance of them are now devoid of yelloweye. He believes they fished them out. There is still some outstanding yelloweye fishing around Kodiak Island, but you won't find many boats targeting them specifically.

As to aging them, I believe the methods are accurate, but that's a question for an ichthyologist (that's different from an "ictheologian", we have a few of those here too). There's a lot we don't know about our rockfish, but I'm glad ADF&G is taking measures to protect them for future generations.

I think we need to beef up our info on our Rockfish Pages. I'll try to get on that...

Mike

Well, yeah. You can wipe out any species of fish with the limits they used to have on kodiak.

In my experience, rockpiles hold a certain number of mature yellow eye a season. Catch em, and they are gone. for the season. The next season, the same amount of mature yellow eye take up residence on that same rockpile. They are virtually on every single offshore rockpile on the W side of POW. So, if I have 70 charters, I hit 70 rockpiles. Very easy fish to catch, catch rates over the years seem stable, and somehow we keep catching those 100 year old fish, every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Well, yeah. You can wipe out any species of fish with the limits they used to have on kodiak.

In my experience, rockpiles hold a certain number of mature yellow eye a season. Catch em, and they are gone. for the season. The next season, the same amount of mature yellow eye take up residence on that same rockpile. They are virtually on every single offshore rockpile on the W side of POW. So, if I have 70 charters, I hit 70 rockpiles. Very easy fish to catch, catch rates over the years seem stable, and somehow we keep catching those 100 year old fish, every year.
    Maybe they get wary for the rest of the season and then bite again the next? It is a fact in places like Puget Sound and others off the mainland west coast that yelloweye were fished out by party boats parking on the same reefs over and over, same with several other non-pelagic species. Even pelagic species like lingcod can be fished out since they occupy the same habitats everywhere, although they come back a lot faster. From what I heard, the spear-fishers decimated the lingcod in Puget Sound. Right now, I'd say if you are still getting yelloweye year after year, you are simply NOT fishing them out...yet anyway. If we all stick to the 2 fish a day, or whatever limit it, and move if we catch any more than that, hopefully this will sustain them, they are sure a great fish to catch and eat!

I prefer "Guide to Northeast Pacific rock fish" or Petersons "pacific Coast Fishes" for quick dock side referances, but use "Pacific fish of Canada" by Hart as a positive Id source. I allso have the walls of my cave wallpaper with NOAA posters of differant rock fish. Every year, I probably print up over a 1000 copys of a 11 x 9 color page of a miniture of the NOAA poster, with a age of all the differant Rock fish on the back, and then laminate the sucker, just to give to all our fishermen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast