Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Popcorn in bulk?

  1. #1
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default Popcorn in bulk?

    Where do you guys get your kernels from? I checked Costco and they only had 5lb jugs. Anywhere else have a better deal?

    Thanks. mark.

  2. #2
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    costcos arch enemy Sams sells it i 50lb bags.

  3. #3
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Also..how much would 5lbs make?

  4. #4
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    costcos arch enemy Sams sells it i 50lb bags.
    Thanks! I will give them a call tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    5lbs Would go a long way 1- 50 lb bag had lasted me gong on my 3rd season and I would refill the entire 55 gal drum about once per week.

  6. #6

    Default

    3 Bears in Wasilla sells it in 50# bags also.

  7. #7
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Thanks for the sources.

    Now its time to get poppin!!

  8. #8
    Member Steve_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Delta Junction, AK
    Posts
    168

    Default

    How are you popping it? Are you using the traditional hot air popper or the more dangerous way of big pot on propane burner over a tarp? I recommend the large pot over propane myself. Much faster and you can place used cooking grease in your pot and it gives the popcorn a better flavor for the bears. It may not smell the best to you but of course don't let it burn. I have used the same 50# bag from Sams going on 3 years as well and still have a 5 gallon bucket full of kernals waiting to be tested over fire.
    Good luck,
    Steve

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I just picked up 50lbs at 3 bears in Wasilla for $38. I also noticed Amazon had it with free shipping for $48 so that might be a good deal if you cant make it to the store.

  10. #10
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    How are you popping it? Are you using the traditional hot air popper or the more dangerous way of big pot on propane burner over a tarp? I recommend the large pot over propane myself. Much faster and you can place used cooking grease in your pot and it gives the popcorn a better flavor for the bears. It may not smell the best to you but of course don't let it burn. I have used the same 50# bag from Sams going on 3 years as well and still have a 5 gallon bucket full of kernals waiting to be tested over fire.
    Good luck,
    Steve
    I just purchased a friar/turkey pot combo.. and I have some P-Nut oil

    I figured this would be the best way?

  11. #11
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Either costcos or sams had the 50# bags for $20 last year, can't remember. I need to stock up on some but I imagine the price has gone up some. I should of bought 20-30 bags when they were $15/50lb a few years back, would of lasted me a long time.

  12. #12
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Just like this.....

    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Now your talkin!! I do this similar, with only two it will keep you busy for about an hour. I try and do about three cans per week. But if you got Brownies chowin down it could take a lot more, gotta learn when to say "NO".

  14. #14
    Member Steve_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Delta Junction, AK
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Rob B,
    Is that a hockey puck on the lower right popper? That's crafty thinking. I have dozens of pucks lying around the garage and I could have been using them for something useful.

    Good luck,
    Steve

  15. #15
    Member Hughiam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Just like this.....

    That is shear GENIUS!

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Either costcos or sams had the 50# bags for $20 last year, can't remember. I need to stock up on some but I imagine the price has gone up some. I should of bought 20-30 bags when they were $15/50lb a few years back, would of lasted me a long time.
    3 bears kenai its around $55!

  17. #17
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Rob B,
    Is that a hockey puck on the lower right popper? That's crafty thinking. I have dozens of pucks lying around the garage and I could have been using them for something useful.

    Good luck,
    Steve


    Nope. It's a fire starter kit that I had to use as a cover since I lost one.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Anyone know where to buy one of those air poppers now days? Walmart in Kenai didn't have any.

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,748

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Anyone know where to buy one of those air poppers now days? Walmart in Kenai didn't have any.
    Dang...!!! I had one for years but wasn't ever using it so I think I finally threw it out.............sorry.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Dang...!!! I had one for years but wasn't ever using it so I think I finally threw it out.............sorry.
    Ha ha ha... no worries, I'll find one somewhere!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •