Thread: Salmon Trip for 8-10 guys on first Alaskan Trip

Default Salmon Trip for 8-10 guys on first Alaskan Trip

Posted this in the freshwater forum as well.

As many of us Alaskan's are often asked, "Where and when should I go fishing?". Well I know what I would suggest but I would like to hear other ideas.

So here is what I have been given:

8-10 Guys $1500/ guy budget.
    4-5 days of fishing,
    Salmon only(as of now anyway),
    Partially guided till they get the hang of it as they are avid fishermen but novice with Salmon and never been to AK.
    Cabins included.
    No particular area (SC/SE/SW)

I'm not seeing that happen at this budget but hey maybe someone on the forum knows of a deal or has something they can do to hook these guys up. Also note that they are aware that travel expenses to/from AK are excluded from the above budget.

Dates are wide open.

What would you suggest to them?

Post your ideas or PM me if you like!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Is this to include renting a cabin/housing them? If so..they might as well stay home..

On the other hand..if they are paying for their own cabin, transportation and assisting with gas etc.. If someone would show them around for 2-3 days for 1500..not bad.

Maybe a day out on the Salt trolling..day at the russian, Kenai etc...doable..depends on what they expect and how they assume the funds are broken down and for what services..if just showing them places..we can probable do that along with tips on the forum here.

If they are looking to be handed rods, lures and directions on how and when to use them...going to cost em.

My 2cents
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Is this to include renting a cabin/housing them? If so..they might as well stay home..

On the other hand..if they are paying for their own cabin, transportation and assisting with gas etc.. If someone would show them around for 2-3 days for 1500..not bad.

Maybe a day out on the Salt trolling..day at the russian, Kenai etc...doable..depends on what they expect and how they assume the funds are broken down and for what services..if just showing them places..we can probable do that along with tips on the forum here.

If they are looking to be handed rods, lures and directions on how and when to use them...going to cost em.

My 2cents

Thanks for the response...

I just want to make something clear, the total funds for the "fishing/cabin" are about $12-15K for 4-5 days.

AKArcher

Sounds like cabins have to be paid for out of that budget...thats tough. Might be able to find a big cabin somewhere for all ten, or a couple at 5 guys per cabin, gotta think it's gonna take 75 $ a night per guy. X 5 thats 375, even 500 is still doable though. That leaves a grand per guy. Late July...
    I'd do a combo silver/butt charter (300) out of Seward, either a drift (Kasilof) or powerboat (Kenai) day for kings, thats another 300, and fish the other 2-3 days for reds in the lower Kenai. Thats cheap and easy and no guide needed, heck, they could double up on one of the above charters and still be OK., or use the 400 for freezing, shipping fish, licenses, etc...
    Heck, they could camp at Centennial and save more money if they were of a mind to. With ten guys it works pretty well to split up the needed camping gear and you can set up a decent camp. Guess it depends on your comfort requirments.
    I'm sure a similar trip could be done up in the valley...more guys usually makes things a little cheaper...it's hard to plan a trip for just 2, imho.

Id suggest taking a look at Piscatorial Pursuits, Bob Ball is a great guide on the Kasilof and they offer some very reasonable package prices including lodging.

Default Nordic tug charters

If anyone can drive a boat and has some experiance I would consider renting one or two of these boats they are a ton of fun and you can be in charge of your whole trip.

Chuck

Tuff budget to work with. An extra $500-800 each would give them many more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Chukar View Post
    If anyone can drive a boat and has some experience I would consider renting one or two of these boats they are a ton of fun and you can be in charge of your whole trip.

Chuck
    Hi Salt Chukar!

You could charter two 32-foot Nordic Tugs (each accommodates 4) out of Juneau for a week for $9100. Or, if you had 10 guys, a 32 and a 37 (accommodates 6, for 10 total) for $10850. If you need skippered charters, they have them too. Out of Juneau, you could head west in Icy Strait, and work your way out past Glacier Bay, possibly as far as Elfin Cove in Cross Sound. Great scenery, great fishing, and great critters - tons of whales, sealions, bears, eagles, etc. In addition to salmon and halibut, there are Dungeness crab and spot prawns.

We cruise our 26-footer 2-3 months in a summer, mostly between that area and Sitka - it's fabulous.

Here's a link:

http://www.nordictugcharters.com/Ala...atCharter.aspx
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Lets be realistic guys. Renting a "tug" is for some folks who appreciate the experience, but I'm sure these guys will want to be slaying fish, not cruising along at 7kts.

Look to Sitka. Raise your budget a bit, and look to come early or late to get a 4 days instead of 3 deal. Call the lodge and haggle on the price. With a group that large, they'll offer you a lower rate. You'll be guaranteed a bloody, fish killing time. Meals will be taken care of, and they can relax.

www.ravercroftlodge.com. Out of Valdez, $1950 ea for 6 days, 7 nights, including all meals, cabins, 3-4 boats for 10 people, fishing gear, freezing and vacuum pack fish, and possibly make you a package deal, check them out and talk to Boone Hodgin. Protected waters, best salmon is silver season in late August, some feeder kings all the time, halibut, cod, rockfish, ling etc. Look at the website. Much of August probably already booked, they get a lot of repeat customers. I have no financial interest in this lodge, but they are personal friends. PM me if you want...I have my own boat and cabin and fish by them every year. Lots of places to hike too, and they have sea kayaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    www.ravercroftlodge.com. Out of Valdez, $1950 ea for 6 days, 7 nights, including all meals, cabins, 3-4 boats for 10 people, fishing gear, freezing and vacuum pack fish, and possibly make you a package deal, check them out and talk to Boone Hodgin. Protected waters, best salmon is silver season in late August, some feeder kings all the time, halibut, cod, rockfish, ling etc. Look at the website. Much of August probably already booked, they get a lot of repeat customers. I have no financial interest in this lodge, but they are personal friends. PM me if you want...I have my own boat and cabin and fish by them every year. Lots of places to hike too, and they have sea kayaks.
    Never heard of raveRcroft lodge, Ron, but try this link: http://www.ravencroftlodge.com

Looks like a nice place. Isn't this across from your place? Very cool part of PWS.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yeah, I am right across from ravishcroft ravencroftlodge.com has some cool videos, and a good photo album for anyone that just wants to look around at that neck of PWS. They do an overnight trip with a visit to the Columbia Glacier and bullshead off Glacier Is too, for someone that just wants to sight-see. Also have guided fishing.

look at the video section, the first one has some amazing footage.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Posted this in the freshwater forum as well.

As many of us Alaskan's are often asked, "Where and when should I go fishing?". Well I know what I would suggest but I would like to hear other ideas.

So here is what I have been given:

8-10 Guys $1500/ guy budget.
    4-5 days of fishing,
    Salmon only(as of now anyway),
    Partially guided till they get the hang of it as they are avid fishermen but novice with Salmon and never been to AK.
    Cabins included.
    No particular area (SC/SE/SW)

I'm not seeing that happen at this budget but hey maybe someone on the forum knows of a deal or has something they can do to hook these guys up. Also note that they are aware that travel expenses to/from AK are excluded from the above budget.

Dates are wide open.

What would you suggest to them?

Post your ideas or PM me if you like!
    Possible candidate trips: in the SE:
    1) They could try river fishing on POW in September for coho. Take the ferry into Hollis, from Ketchikan, rent a cabin and a couple of cars, and try the fishing on the many rivers on the island. I have done this a couple of times and had a lot of fun. Cheap trip too.
    2) Check out Doc Warner's west of Juneau in August when the coho and pinks are running. This is a good, cheap option for people that can handle fishing from open skiffs.

Big_E

http://www.sanitycharters.com/ Ken Larson has a Lodge at Ellmar and he does charters. You might check with him. I have taken customers out from both raven croft lodge and from Kens lodge to go Halibut fishing. As far as salmon goes you are looking at pinks end of June thru July. Silvers last week of July thru August.

Wow after looking at the ravencroft website heck I want to stay there. That is a heck of a deal for a self guided trip.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yep, nice people too. And if you get tired of fishing (ha ha!) or it get sunny and windy, there is some good hiking around, old mining stuff to look at, bears to pucker you up etc. And, you can look across the fiord at the 1500' waterfall behind where I am Reading back, though, it sounded like maybe AkArcher and his friends maybe had in mind a land adventure as well? POW Island or the Kenai can sure provide that...although in August when the silvers are running in PWS, you can get out of the skiff if you do something like Ravencroft, and fish the small coastal rivers and even bay shallows with waders and catch a lot of salmon...and if the halibut aren't cooperating, hook up with CaptainDD as he mentioned above and take a trip out to Montague or the gulf for some big flatfish...

A sincere thanks to all who have provided info here as well as those who sent me PM's. I have been sorting things out and it looks like the group will be working on an August Coho Trip.

AKArcher