Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Required to harvest heart/liver etc. in big game???

Default Required to harvest heart/liver etc. in big game???

Theres a heated debate here in the office about the requirements of harvesting the heart and liver from a moose as edible meat. On page 22-23 of the regs. Nothing is stated which requires someone to harvest the heart/liver. However under the definition of salvage pg 29. It talks about the heart/liver and kidneys.

Anyone care to chime in and set things straight....

I have been checked by the troopers and fed cops a few times with deer in the boat or on the four wheeler and they have never asked about the heart and liver.

My interrpertation - NO mention on pages 22-23 of organ meat - it does not need to be salvaged. Page 29 mentions it (organ meat) in the event it is ever determined that it has to be salvaged - it currently does not. I've never saved it & if required to do so, I guess it would tickle the dog to death (or a friend that wanted it).

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Page 29 also talks about the head, skull and hide...none of which are required to be salvaged from a moose. The definition of salvage is just that, a definition of the word (ie. the process), not what is required to be salvaged from a particular animal (the requirement). The diagram on page 23 is pretty clear on what needs to be salvaged.

It is pretty clear on page 22 about what is required for salvage on big game and it does not include the heart or liver. If you read the definition of savage that you referenced, you will see that they mention also "...head, skull or hide" but then continue on to so "as required by statute or regulation..." Based on this, they are not defining the word salvage to be referring to everything in every case, just that it referrs to everything that is specifically required for a specific hunt. Some hunts require the head/hide to be salvaged, others don't. Big game does not require the heart/liver to be salvaged in all cases, but some specific cases may which is why they are mentioned in the definition. Essentially, the salvage requirements for any specific animal, or in this case "big game", are more specific than what the definition of the word "salvage" applies to.

Personally, I am not a fan of the heart, but love the liver when prepared correctly. Best is fresh, fried with onions.

EDIT: Looks like Frost posted his response while I was writing mine. Appears we both came to the same conclusion. What is it they say about great minds
    ???

Only specific units and certian hunts in the past have required harvesting the guts.
    As a general rule, you are not required to harvest the guts.
    Otherwise, where does it stop....some call the tongue edible, others eat the nose and so on.
    BK

I believe there is a requirment for tier I or maybe II hunters in Unit 13 to salvage all the organ meat. Other than that, its not required to be salvaged. If you do a search on this you'll find more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I believe there is a requirment for tier I or maybe II hunters in Unit 13 to salvage all the organ meat. Other than that, its not required to be salvaged. If you do a search on this you'll find more info.
    Are you thinking of state subsistence caribou hunts? I don't think Tier I has a gut-salvage requirement... perhaps I'm wrong.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Are you thinking of state subsistence caribou hunts? I don't think Tier I has a gut-salvage requirement... perhaps I'm wrong.
    It doesn't look like that is a requirement for the normal Tier I, but it IS a requirement for the Copper Basin Community Harvest caribou and moose hunts according to the subsistance hunt supplement.

Anybody who wants to get rid of some heart/liver (immediately soaked in COLD saltwater overnight, sliced 1" , vac-sealed, and frozen) just send it to me, I know what to do with it!!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Anybody who wants to get rid of some heart/liver (immediately soaked in COLD saltwater overnight, sliced 1" , vac-sealed, and frozen) just send it to me, I know what to do with it!!

I have a cow tag and would gladly save a liver for anybody willing to pick it up in ER. I won't do any form of processing.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

There is nothing stated in the regs in regards to the harvest of Organs. I do how ever harvest the heart for myself and the liver for friends only but i am not required to do so.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    There is nothing stated in the regs in regards to the harvest of Organs. I do how ever harvest the heart for myself and the liver for friends only but i am not required to do so.
    Actually, as noted above, there are some hunts that require the salvage of some of the organs.

Heart is one of the best parts if you take time to trim all the linings off of it. Liver is not for me- I just can't stand the texture, don't care for the flavor, and have never understood the concept of eating the detoxifying organ of the body. Tongue is a great treat, but only worth saving on big animals like bison.

i know salvage isn't required but it sure is worth it i think.

I don't like liver much period so I would be doubtful to want a monster moose liver. Tongue is almost a caloric loss after messing with it. I really enjoy the heart.

In DLG area I saw lots of heads with no nose, many locals like it. Sure makes a funny lookin gutpile though. Often found a bulls head with rack on......nose off.

If you slice the heart into thin slices, roll in some spiced flour and fry with a 50/50 mixture of olive and vegetable oil in a frying pan. You will never leave it in the field again, trust me
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

First thing I do on moose is pull the tongue and rinse it off. We really like tongue sandwiches with it, boil in a salt water and peel off the membrame, slice thin and enjoy. We always save the heart as well.

Also, both heart and tongue are great jarred, as per below pic. Diced heart is great right out of the jar in spaghetti or other sauces. Jarred tongue on sandwiches.

Oh great, thanks bushrat Now I'm hungry again

Default moose heart, mmm-mmm good

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    If you slice the heart into thin slices, roll in some spiced flour and fry with a 50/50 mixture of olive and vegetable oil in a frying pan. You will never leave it in the field again, trust me
    I actually get a little ticked off when I hear some of my white friends say they left the heart and liver. My native side of my family wouldn't even think of leaving them.

I agree with whop, cut thin, roll in flower and spices and fry, but don't over cook it. Like others have said here, don't want the heart/liver, please call me and I'll be glad to take it off your hands. (in Fairbanks of course)

I keep the heart,liver,stomach lining and kidneys for my Native friends. Their favorite is the fat around the kidneys so I take as much of that as I can get for them.

I have tried heart and liver ,and just don't care for it myself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast