Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letting youth hunt all year round?

Default Letting youth hunt all year round?

I'm against it but probably be a interior only thing anyway.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Year round big game hunting opportunities already exist...ie. black bear in unit 20 for example. What's the real motive behind the bill I wonder.....

Not a bad idea; when I was a kid, moose season started on Aug. 20, and school (in Idaho) on Aug. 23 Always a mad dash for my dad to hunt a couple days, get me back to the road, on a plane to Anchorage, and on home. One time I went through the metal detector with my pockets full of '06 cartridges! My dad's buddy who always met me at the terminal and got me on the next plane sure went white in the face, lol. I'm sure plenty of families up here can appreciate this bill; only concern I can see is for the guardian to cheat and harvest the animal themselves.
    "Ė Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

There are much better ways to get youth out hunting than opening it up year round. Such as in buck only areas allowing kids to obtain a doe tag for a set season and the stipulation that they have an adult with them. Or reducing antler restrictions on moose for a set # of animals in an area. Or have some of the caribou draws that give out 1000s of tags, make a certain % have to go to youth. Of course this all depends on populations in each area.

I'm against it. One of the things kids should learn is there are definite seasons for various game and hunting within the rules is part of learning to hunt. So at seventeen they can hunt all year round and then suddenly at 18 they can't? That will go over well. There are already youth hunts and as already been pointed out, year round hunt oppurtunities already exist.

I think it's unnecessary, and way too prone to potential abuse by "guardians". The author's office stated,"...the hope is that the bill would offer more opportunities for parents to take their kids hunting, where they can learn about firearm safety and hunting education."

If kids are to learn to hunt properly and safely, why not let them experience the entire process -- that includes closed seasons and strict interpretation of hunting boundaries/regs.

Taking kids hunting is absolutely critical to the future of our heritage. However, special seasons/exemptions are not the way to go.

Here is the bill. If this was available, I would probably take advantage of it depending on the area. It sounds like more work than it is worth though, can't they just try to incorporate some more youth hunts under the already existing structure? Put a proposal into the board of game and see if it sticks. There's a pile of antlerless moose hunts in unit 20 that could be used for starters.

SENATE BILL NO. 77
    01 "An Act relating to big game hunting with children."
    02 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF ALASKA:
    03 * Section 1. AS 16.05.255(i) is amended to read:
    04 (i) For the purpose of encouraging adults to take children hunting, the board
    05 may [SHALL] establish annual hunting seasons in appropriate areas of the state for
    06 big game, other than bison and musk ox [, THAT ARE OPEN BEFORE SCHOOLS
    07 START IN THE FALL AND BEFORE REGULAR HUNTING SEASONS BEGIN].
    08 Only a resident child accompanied by a resident adult or a child accompanied by the
    09 child's resident parent, resident stepparent, or resident legal guardian may take big
    10 game in an area where a season established under this subsection is in effect. The
    11 adult, parent, stepparent, or legal guardian who accompanies the child may only assist
    12 the child in taking big game. A big game animal taken under this subsection must be
    13 counted against the bag limits of both the child and the adult, parent, stepparent, or
    14 legal guardian who accompanies the child. In this subsection,
    15 (1) "adult" means an individual who is 21 years of age or older;
    01 (2) "child" means an individual who is not more than 17 years of age
    02 and not younger than eight years of age.

Agreed, seasons are part of hunting, however, I applaud youth centric hunts. They give them a shot at success with less hunting pressure at times and since they are youth only, it frees up a lot of mentors for such hunts. Yearround is unnecessary and would likely be abused.

Now I always profess that "success" in hunting should not include killing always. However within the current condition of hunter numbers dwindling, we are in a special set of circumstances where giving a kid a better chance benefits us all in the long run.

I have expressed some concerns on this bill (SB 77) but haven't heard back. Also waiting to hear if it has BOG support. I think youth hunts are a great thing, in fact AK BHA had a proposal for one in Unit 13 at the last meeting that was shot down unfortunately. I/we also fully agree with the current statute that we "shall" have some youth hunts that begin prior to when the normal school season starts.

Concerns on this bill is "shall" is taken out, and "may" substituted. That means it doesn't have to happen, but not like it always did anyway under current law.

Would definitely like to see more youth hunt opportunities though for limited number of animals where bios have determined they can handle that extra harvest. The future of hunting depends on recruiting youth and getting them involved. Keep in mind too it counts against the parent/guardian's tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I'm against it. One of the things kids should learn is there are definite seasons for various game and hunting within the rules is part of learning to hunt. So at seventeen they can hunt all year round and then suddenly at 18 they can't? That will go over well. There are already youth hunts and as already been pointed out, year round hunt oppurtunities already exist.
    Amen Brother
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I'm usually the guy in favor of special treatment of the youth, like more/better access to gimme-hunt tags & earlier season etc... but this bill just doesn't sit right with me. I'd have to know more about it before I could be in favor or it; right now I think it raises more questions for me than it answers.

You dont have to be a youth in GM23 to hunt all year round.

The wife, kids and I did a rabbit drive yesterday, useing our Salmon Net and clubs...........gets 'em up close and personal, as well as showing them how to do so without a gun..........

(Wow! 3,000 posts and even more green bling )
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

100% against this. Youth don't need more opportunity to hunt than they already have. Itís nothing more than coddling our youth more than we already do. Show me one study that has proven that a youth hunt has recruited more hunters... At least half the states down south have some sort of youth program, some have early seasons,and most are abused IMO. I doubt you'll find any such study, but if you do I'd love to read it.

Youth have all sorts of opportunity to hunt before school starts already, why should we bend over backwards to give them their own season? Seriously... Whatís next a season for senior citizens? I mean why not? We need to keep them interested, heck maybe we should set aside a bunch of draw tags for youth and seniors as well. I think 20-30% would be fair.

Youth will get into hunting if they have PARENTS or guardians who are involved in their life. Setting up a hunt where they can shoot something to lure them into the fraternity is a joke. IMO these are the kind of people we donít need or want in the fraternity. I sure as heck didn't need a youth hunt to get involved in hunting.

I don't read it as year round, I read it as an "annual" hunting season, like all other seasons. I think what they're looking for is a 1-2 week season that starts before regular season.

How many years have people tried to get an 'early' sheep season for residents only, only to be laughed out of the BOG meetings? Youth don't deserve preference in this case either.

Would that mean non resident youth would benefit too? I don't see this exception as a "need" but more of a "want". I would vote no.

I don't get it....my son and I hunt darn near year round as it is. Bears, caribou, moose, birds, small game- heck, something is always open.

The one month that hunting is slow is when the reds are running...so we're otherwise occupied.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Exactly. Can we give them all a trophy too?
    Kids also need to learn the lesson that they really aren't special.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    You dont have to be a youth in GM23 to hunt all year round.

The wife, kids and I did a rabbit drive yesterday, useing our Salmon Net and clubs...........gets 'em up close and personal, as well as showing them how to do so without a gun..........

)
    I like it !
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I don't get it....my son and I hunt darn near year round as it is. Bears, caribou, moose, birds, small game- heck, something is always open.

The one month that hunting is slow is when the reds are running...so we're otherwise occupied.
    Exactly.

The only thing this would open up is opportunities for abuse of the regs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast