Thread: Public Brown Bear/Moose workshop in Kenai tomorrow (March 15)

Default Public Brown Bear/Moose workshop in Kenai tomorrow (March 15)

Short notice, but tomorrow afternoon at the Board of Game meeting in Kenai they are gonna have a brown bear/moose workshop open to public participation to discuss future management and harvest regs for brown bears and moose on the peninsula (Unit 15). There are proposals before the board they would like to discuss with the public, such as thoughts on baiting of brown bears, changes in moose harvest regs etc.

For those of you on the peninsula, would be good opportunity to express your opinions and get some insight from ADFG bios and managers.

What time?

before attending the roundtable (still not sure what format it will be) It would be best to listen to the departments presentations on current moose and bear populations that will be given friday at the BOG meeting.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    What time?
    8:30 am.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

What time?
    Public worksession to take place after oral reports, so mid afternoon maybe....

Gosh darn it.......why do they have these things when most people have to work?

Can anybody relate as to what went on? What the BOA have been considering? Recent research findings? What was most of the main focus as to public opinion?

Thanks.....I'll go to the F&G website to try and see if I can find anything.....

Edit:......Actually I didn't realize it was about other areas as well, so my questions above are about the Kenai specifically....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

On Friday there was a presentation about reproduction and depredation of moose. Also, there were presentations on the recent brown bear study that provided the new estimate of brown bear numbers on the KP, as well as brown bear genetics, and populaiton work done with radio collars.

The town hall was basicly an open forum for people to talk off the record.

The predomniating issue in public testimony was the brown bear population on the Kenai and what to do about it.

On Friday there was a presentation about reproduction and depredation of moose. Also, there were presentations on the recent brown bear study that provided the new estimate of brown bear numbers on the KP, as well as brown bear genetics, and populaiton work done with radio collars.

The town hall was basicly an open forum for people to talk off the record.

The predomniating issue in public testimony was the brown bear population on the Kenai and what to do about it.
    Thanks. Maybe you can confirm this?.....I "heard" today that they talked about the possibility of opening up spike/fork again for moose this year. I also "heard" that they will not limit the brown bear hunt to 10 sows now. And lastly, that next year they may open it up for brown bear baiting.

The departments proposal on moose was spikes (no forks) 4 and 50". The vast majority of folks testifying were against any change in the current restrictions, some even wanted to close the season (funny how easy it is to restrict the hunting of others when you live in a subsistence community). The bios say we can have some additional harvest, and I would think that under IM we would get it, but last I heard it looked bad for any additional opportunity for most folks. Still spike/fork and 3 or 50" in the subsistence hunt. 143 was still being debated when they adjourned, as far as I know.

the department also proposed an open registration hunt in almost ALL of 15c, and most of the area around Seward(with no sow cap), along with drawing hunts in the refuge (subsistence hunters have always been allowed a brown bear in the refuge as long as they salvage the meat... They can throw it away, but they have to bring it out). The overwhelming sentiment was that the department needs to open the hunt more in the refuge. the department can't, and the refuge won't, so the department proposal was pretty d a m n good if you ask me.
    Listening to some of the testimony it was apparent many hunters had not looked at the department A&R's

The refuge will not allow baiting for brownies, and if it passes they might close the refuge to all baiting. Not set in stone, but a possibility that has been mentioned.

Dave, what was it Jeff was saying at the AC meeting about moving opening day up to Sept. 1st? Is the Dept. wanting to shorten the season? Wanted to get more of a handle on that, but everybody seemed to want to move on so I didn't ask.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    The departments proposal on moose was spikes (no forks) 4 and 50". The vast majority of folks testifying were against any change in the current restrictions, some even wanted to close the season (funny how easy it is to restrict the hunting of others when you live in a subsistence community). The bios say we can have some additional harvest, and I would think that under IM we would get it, but last I heard it looked bad for any additional opportunity for most folks. Still spike/fork and 3 or 50" in the subsistence hunt. 143 was still being debated when they adjourned, as far as I know.

the department also proposed an open registration hunt in almost ALL of 15c, and most of the area around Seward(with no sow cap), along with drawing hunts in the refuge (subsistence hunters have always been allowed a brown bear in the refuge as long as they salvage the meat... They can throw it away, but they have to bring it out). The overwhelming sentiment was that the department needs to open the hunt more in the refuge. the department can't, and the refuge won't, so the department proposal was pretty d a m n good if you ask me.
    Listening to some of the testimony it was apparent many hunters had not looked at the department A&R's

The refuge will not allow baiting for brownies, and if it passes they might close the refuge to all baiting. Not set in stone, but a possibility that has been mentioned.
    Thanks for the input......

Here's what happened.

143 Moose: Spike 50"/4 season to stay the same
    144-146 No action
    147 failed airial wolf control in 15A and IM objectives
    148 passed
    149 NA
    150 failed
    151 failed

153 Brown Bears: Registration season Kenai wide, With a cap of 70 bears including nonhunting mortality starting Jan. 1, 2014. Brown bear baiting Kenai wide. All meat must be salvaged. Seasons for coming year as follows:

Spring 2013 Permit season only
    2014 Registration season Kenai wide Sept. 15 to May 31 (overlaps moose season)
    retain locking tag. This fall will be open season on all brown bears as no cap will apply.

Comes out to about 30 extra bears taken a year.

154-156 NA
    157 failed
    158 failed
    159 pass

160 only affecting trapping season not hunting season
    Oct. 15-April 1 extended front end of season. No leg holds allowed in early season snares only

161 failed

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Here's what happened.

143 Moose: Spike 50"/4 season to stay the same
    144-146 No action
    147 failed airial wolf control in 15A and IM objectives
    148 passed
    149 NA
    150 failed
    151 failed

153 Brown Bears: Registration season Kenai wide, With a cap of 70 bears including nonhunting mortality starting Jan. 1, 2014. Brown bear baiting Kenai wide. All meat must be salvaged. Seasons for coming year as follows:

Spring 2013 Permit season only
    2014 Registration season Kenai wide Sept. 15 to May 31 (overlaps moose season)
    retain locking tag. This fall will be open season on all brown bears as no cap will apply.

Comes out to about 30 extra bears taken a year.

154-156 NA
    157 failed
    158 failed
    159 pass

160 only affecting trapping season not hunting season
    Oct. 15-April 1 extended front end of season. No leg holds allowed in early season snares only

161 failed

Thats some interesting changes in the brown bear management.

OK, sounds good. But, I wonder why they waited until 2014 to start taking more bears? If the board wants to increase the take bears, why not start 4/1/2013?

I am surprised 161 failed. It would have been a good deal for non snow machine hunters. Its really nice to hike with snow shoes on the crust.