Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding where to hunt!

Default Need help deciding where to hunt!

My GF is going to Italy next September and it's a family trip they have been planning for awhile. As much as I would like to go, there's many reasons I'm not going. So she has agreed to let me go hunting pretty much any where I want. I'm looking at spending around $5000, not including any license and fees. I'm kinda at a cross road and can hunt in my back yard, or anywhere in the lower 48 or even Europe. If you had this same option, where would you hunt. What everyone says will help make my mind up.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Default RM Bull

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    My GF is going to Italy next September and it's a family trip they have been planning for awhile. As much as I would like to go, there's many reasons I'm not going. So she has agreed to let me go hunting pretty much any where I want. I'm looking at spending around $5000, not including any license and fees. I'm kinda at a cross road and can hunt in my back yard, or anywhere in the lower 48 or even Europe. If you had this same option, where would you hunt. What everyone says will help make my mind up.
    Pick one of the Western states: ID, CO, UT, .... and bowhunt a Rocky Mountain Bull Elk, one of the most majestic creatures to every walk the earth. They mount really well too. They also bowhunt these animals in Flagstaff AZ too.

Ducks in Argentina, Red Stag in New Zealand, Elk in AZ..or go shoot hogs out of a helicopter in Texas with a full auto and have some fun...while helping with the population. While down there grab some exotics on local ranches...to easy.

Or just save the funds, grab a cold one, a rod and catch fish..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Probably too late to draw for anything, and 5K won't even begin to cover a guaranteed tag, outfitter, airfare, etc....Here's a thought: Prince William Sound, Alaska! Ferry your rig to Cordova and hunt moose and goat and bear, then charter a boat and hunt deer and bear and catch halibut and salmon. Easy peasy mac n cheezy!
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

It might help if we knew what direction you were leaning....meaning some of the things we think may not even interest you in the least. If you can give us an idea of some of the animals you have always wanted to hunt and now you have your chance, then maybe we can help you narrow it down a little...???

Personally I would love to go after BIG muleys again.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Tough decision! But like others said, 5k will be a tough budget. I'd go buy a landowner tag in New Mexico for elk. They aren't cheap but the chance at a great bull and an awesome hunt are very real. They go for 1-4500 bucks depending on who's selling and the unit. Some tags are unit wide and some are ranch only, get the unit wide one. That's what I'd do. That or go on a sheep and moose hunt up here.

If you have never, I suggest taking your bow on a guided elk hunt in Colorado, Montana or New Mexico in the last two weeks of Sept. If I typed for an hour, I couldn't explain the physical and emotional rush you will experience when a 1000lb brama bull bugles in your face at 10yds after you just chased him up and down drainages at 10,000ft for the last 10hrs. A big T-rex bugle makes your spine vibrate like a tuning fork. My last episode was in CO a couple years back. After being in serious elk action for 6 days, we were exhausted. Half hour before dark, I watched my partner arrow a nice bull. We quickly set up again and called in a big non-typical. Big five-by with one antler wrapping down under his neck, hard antler. He came charging in screaming his head off and stopped in front of me at 5 yds. Nothing between him and I but sailboat fuel. As my buddy was laying on his dead bull calling about 100yds back, my bull stood there and bugled like ten times. No BS, he was blowing hot air right in my face. I was standing there, staring at the ground, thinking "this f'in thing is gonna kill me". When he finally spooked and kicked dirt in my face, I was broke down. Fell to my knees and I am not ashamed to tell you that it took me a half hour to get my **** together. Adrenaline was raging out of control!!! Most unbelievable encounter I have ever had. We do public land hunts but for that money, you could book an awesome guided hunt that could provide a lifetime of memories. PM me if you wanna talk more archery elk. Good luck.

Elk, mule deer, trophy moose, goat, trophy caribou, grizz, black tail, antelope are some options. I am a bowhunter but rifle or bow is fine. I have a big list of animals I want to hunt. Pretty much any and all big game. I know it's a big list, but if you can imagine a great hunt full of memories and somewhere u want to hunt or have hunted and have just that, then that's what I'm looking for.

I'd head straight to NZ and hunt tahr, chamois and red stag.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Yukon flats for your trophy moose taken with your NEW RIFLE(with the extra $$)!?
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Since you live in Alaska you can hunt most of the stuff up here for under the 5000 budget. In order to make maximum use of the "permission" your gf has given you I would lean toward a quality elk or muley hunt as those are things you probably can't do every all like the alaska stuff. Africa, Asia, Australia, and Europe are pretty much out as the budget won't cover those destinations. If you are into bird hunting at all, then I would definitely go to South America on a combo duck and dove shoot.

I would highly consider an african safari, all you can shoot baboon hunt! LOL, seriously what I would highly consider myself!! Everything else is similar to a deer or moose, but baboon, c'mon!! LOL, ah yeah, but that's just me.

If you have a sheep from Alaska then maybe a Stone from next door would be nice.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you have a sheep from Alaska then maybe a Stone from next door would be nice.
    Yeah, stone or fannin sheep would be another on my list. But I don't know if his $5k would cover it...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The cheapest stone sheep hunt I could find was about $20K. Me, as a die hard waterfowler would do that St. Paul Island hunt for king eiders, or head down to Cold Bay during the peak of the Brant migration and stay for about a week. For big game, I would lean towards AK Penn Brown bear.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default maybe a remote AK float hunt - and other assorted stuff

Use that $$ to pay for a guided Float Hunt in a very remote Alaskan area not usually gotten to. If extra $$ bring along a cook on the hunt. Hmm. Sounds like a great Alaska hunt to me.

Of course the last book I read was "Yukon Trophies Won and Lost", and they brought those three guided hunters an additional person in their party just to be the cook and another horse in their mule trail to haul the cookstove on one side and flour on the other. That was clear back in 1947, when it took a team of 20 horses, so many guides, indians, and white men with specialties in river running, cooking, and heading up the whole show (head guide). Great book I highly recommend. Sorry to digress.

What it cost for you to pull off a remote float hunt J? Maybe within your budget?

Sorry about the other suggestion... while a worthy goal its one that usually requires a few decades of every year gathering a hunting preference point from the state for that species, for a long time to have a reasonable chance of hunting RM Elk. Or have 15+ grand to pay a landowner in a western state, and that likely just ain't in the cards.

When I saw you a few times in that high-river canyon how many years back I may have told you of my own plans on this subject - if not, ask. Hey, did T ever get that wet wheeler going? Man o man can ams are heavy. Pulling it up that really steep part I saw the smoke from all four Swamplites come up, and the smoke went down the trail faster than I was going down the trail.... not good. After many uncertain moments I got forward momentum established again and were up top just seconds later. Thanks for giving me a break then up on top; I needed it.

Fun stuff though; you guys too I hope. You and T ever want to put in on a party application for caribou there some year, I could probably round out our group to be 4. Each of the four hunters have to have their own ATV. Not good for next year though; sorry. Gotta get'r in the draw.

So why would you need your GF's permission to go hunting? A guided elk hunt in AZ on some of the ranches would cost you more than $5,000. Guided mule deer and/or pronghorn would be a great hunt. The float hunt idea is one I would endorse, see a lot of territory and have a good chance of success for a trophy moose.

Do an interior float. Moose, wolves, bears, caribou....

sent from my igloo

Dude! Better take that hunting trip now before your GF becomes your Wifee-Poo and all of a sudden it is "Permission Denied"

Ok just to clarify, some of you keep saying "permission" when it comes to my GF, but it's not permission. I don't want to go to Italy with her and her family and instead I'm going hunting. She wants to go with me when I hunt, and is a little jealous, and wants to go but can't. She has said she doesn't mind if I go by myself.

On another note, I have dreamed of a float hunt for big moose/caribou/grizz, but this time I have no one to go with me. My best friend/ hunting buddy, can't afford this trip right now, so I will go at it alone. So I am pretty limited on where I can go and do by myself. A float hunt (as great as it would be and as bad I want to do it) is not feasible this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast