Thread: Would you suggest getting a mixer?

Default Would you suggest getting a mixer?

I'm going all in and getting good equipment after using sub-par cheap stuff. I'm going to get a new grinder and stuffer for sure. But my question to you all is, should I get a mixer as well?

I have never used one but have mixed by hand and it is a hassle. To those that have used a mixer, would you spend the money? And what would you suggest as far as mixers go? Is there anything that sets them apart?

A mixer is cheaper than a re-fill on a v8 truck. cheaper than a meal for two at a restuarant.....cheaper than getting your meat processed by some outfit in town.

Quit being cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    A mixer is cheaper than a re-fill on a v8 truck. cheaper than a meal for two at a restuarant.....cheaper than getting your meat processed by some outfit in town.

Quit being cheap!
    Where would you suggest I get a mixer? The ones I was looking at at Alaska Butcher supply were between $2-300.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    Where would you suggest I get a mixer? The ones I was looking at at Alaska Butcher supply were between $2-300.
    That's what I was thinking, I haven't seen any mixers for less than my stuffer.

I have a decent grinder, a great stuffer, and NO mixer. I put out around 100 lbs of sausage a year between summer sausage, brats, and patty style stuff.....I see no need. I use a designated and meticulously cleaned rubbermaid tote and yellow dishwashing gloves.....not worth it to me, however, it's your dime.

I also see no need. I mix a couple 30 lb. batches a year in my deep frying aluminum 10 gallon pot.
    It's not because I am CHEAP, it's more practical to me. I don't want to spend the time cleaning up more equipment. It's easy to clean up a large pot, not so a mixer.
    PLUS, my large pot doubles as a deep fryer pot, so I have less to store and I already own the aluminum pot.
    To each there own but I see it as wasted $ unless your doing this on a regular basis and doing large batches.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    That's what I was thinking, I haven't seen any mixers for less than my stuffer.

I have a decent grinder, a great stuffer, and NO mixer. I put out around 100 lbs of sausage a year between summer sausage, brats, and patty style stuff.....I see no need. I use a designated and meticulously cleaned rubbermaid tote and yellow dishwashing gloves.....not worth it to me, however, it's your dime.
    That's kinda what I was wondering, thanks for the advice on that. Like I said, I've never used one and wasn't sure if it's worth the money. I did my first batch of pepperoni, the first thing I've ever ground, mixed and stuffed. I had extremely cheap equipment from Sportsmans warehouse and it was a nightmare. I'm excited about doing my own meats and want equipment that's going to make the process quicker and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I also see no need. I mix a couple 30 lb. batches a year in my deep frying aluminum 10 gallon pot.
    It's not because I am CHEAP, it's more practical to me. I don't want to spend the time cleaning up more equipment. It's easy to clean up a large pot, not so a mixer.
    PLUS, my large pot doubles as a deep fryer pot, so I have less to store and I already own the aluminum pot.
    To each there own but I see it as wasted $ unless your doing this on a regular basis and doing large batches.
    BK
    Also sounds good to me. Since I'll be dropping for a good chunk of change on a grinder and a stuffer, I'd like to save where I can.

Thanks guys for the tips.

I bought a cheap mixer from Cabelas a couple years ago, nothing fancy just a hand crank model. It'll thoroughly mix 20 pounds in a fraction of the time I used to do it by hand. I only use it once or twice a year but it sure is nice to have when I use it.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

save the money and put it towards a grinder or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    LEM makes one that'll mix 20-25lb batches. Paid all of $120 for mine. Check out sportsmans, or you could get it shipped via amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-S.../dp/B000SQCAJA

You pull the spring loaded black knob, and everything comes out. It's not difficult to wash....rather simple. Takes all of 10-15 full rotations of the handle to thoroughly mix large batches of sausage, or fat with burger.

There's also another company that puts their name on the same mixer, but it's about 20$ cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Weston-36-1901...m_cr_pr_sims_t

For years I resisted spending the money and mixed my sausage by hand. I always hated doing that cause my hands would get so cold they ached mixing a big batch of sausage. I have tried using my grinder as a mixer and that was a flop. Ex-wife (before she was ex) finally got tired of hearing me whine so she bought me a good mixer for Christmas several years back. All I can say is once you try one you will never make sausage without it again. Is it a necessity, no. But boy is it nice.