Thread: 350gr Barnes in 375 H&H?

Default 350gr Barnes in 375 H&H?

has anyone played around with the 350 gr barnes x-bullets in their 375 H&H? I picked some up the other week and was going to see what i could do with them when i get back home this weekend. i have found minimal load data for that bullet, but it appears on the online barnes load data center IMR4320 or RL 15 produce some fairly decent numbers for the case/bullet combo. makes me wonder if something like a H4350 could be a good one to try out too.

Look at data for the Woodleigh 350 grain and check out an old Hodgdon manual for 350 grain data.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thats a really long bullet. I would think you would have to experiement a lot with the chrono to get acceptable velocity as the bullet needs to be seated deep into the case, limiting the amount of powder. My gut tell me that H4350 might be to slow. Not sure how it would stabilize but shoot some and report back, could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Not sure how it would stabilize but shoot some and report back, could be interesting.
    I'm guessing it will stabilize just fine. Most .375's out there are twisted at 1:12. Running a few calculations with the Greenhill formula shows most bullets in .375 will do fine at 1:16.

The TSX is long for weight, (1.691") but the faster than needed 1:12 should be fine. Calculations show about 1:14 is fast ennough for the 350gr TSX.

I haven't tried them yet but I thought they'd make a fantastic tree stand load! Let us know how they shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Look at data for the Woodleigh 350 grain and check out an old Hodgdon manual for 350 grain data.
    I've noticed over the past decade of reading all the versions of barnes reloading manuals, they frequently go to faster burning powders to compensate for their disgustingly long bullets. Powders that are way too fast for lead core bullets of proper length. H-4350 (what elkman was inquiring about, would not be suitable for the bullet. It'll work, but it's slow.......like reloader 19 slow.

If it was a lead core 350 grain woodliegh......You'd be able to run reloader 17 and take full advantage of the powder capacity, but because it's a ridiculously long Barnes X bullet, it appears barnes are recommending the faster reloader 15. The more suitable hodgdon powder (similar burn rate to rl-15 and IMR 4320) would be H-380. Other suitable powders would be Ramshot Big-game, AA 2700 and Vhitavuori n540 or n140, and Norma 203

Just a question, not a criticism. Why the 350 over the 270 or 300g tsx?

sorry guys, i have been traveling the last couple days. those bullets are incredibly long, i was finally able to get home late last night and open up the box, and holy cow! the length makes me wonder about like H380, like mainer mentioned, which i have had great success with in the past in that case. i do have loads worked up for the 300/270gr bullets, but i was looking to figure out the 350gr for my next trip to africa when we are going to pick on some cape buffalo, and also for a bear hunt this fall with my wife....figured it would be as good of time as any to run some "field tests".

Email Barnes and ask for their data with this bullet...they have always been responsive to me when I have done so.

If you're taking it to Africa I'm sure you are thinking about powder choices and the possible temperature differential from testing here and shooting there (although I was in Namibia last June/July and there was ice in the morning a few times).

BTW I've taken brown bear just fine with the 270's.

Use the 270 TSX and don't look back . . .

Ditto, go lighter and get some performance from it. Consider the sweet spot speed of your bullet for good terminal expansion. So a 350 from an H&H case is mondo big. I hesitate to run 200g in my 300 H&H because of powder volume restrictions. I settled on 300g TSX for my .416 for the same reason.

That 270gr does an awesome job with loads of penetration.