Thread: Windlass Windlass what to do ?? I need you guys opinions

Default Windlass Windlass what to do ?? I need you guys opinions

As some of you know i'm thinking of taking on a anchor windlass, the windlass looks to be a nice unit, US made by a company that stands behind its products. Now here's my beef they keep emphasizing that their windlass's work best with the anchor line they produce/sell and if using another rope the windlass may not pull correctly/slip, that may be true but their lines aren't cheap (aprox $1/ft) and my concern is that folks will not buy the expensive line(don't blame them) then the windlass doesn't work and me being the dealer will get a bad reputation for selling them the windlass, i don't want anyone to be unhappy with my stuff and i surely don't want to get a bad reputation for any of my products.
    So i'm asking for you guys to chime in and let me know your opinions on this. Would you buy the windlass and try it with your present anchorline, if it doesn't work/slips would you blame me for selling you a product that doesn't work ?? or would you have to bite the bullet and buy the correct anchorline ??
    I'm up in the air on all this, i personally would buy the windlass(if it was the brand/model i wanted) take the sales guy advice and go try it with what i have for anchorline and if it works fine if not i guess i'd have to buy the right rope but wouldn't blame the sales guy for selling me the windlass. With my limited research it seems like all brands of windlass want you to use their brand of anchorline, is that what you guys using windlass's have found ??
    OK tell me what you think !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Personally I would do the same as you. If my current rode did not work properly I would then order the recommended set up. You are a stand up guy even though you were a "salmon choker"! There will be people that will talk bad about you, but that will happen regardless of what they buy and who they buy from. Screw 'em!

I really like the look of those windlasses. If I can make one of them work for my application, I can see one in my future.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That windlass was sounding good to me before you mentioned the line problem. If the windlass had a pulley or whatever you call the winding thingy, and it is hourglass shaped like most, I think that line claim might be bull. The line binds more on itself that on the pulley, and if it works on another windlass it ought to work on that one. The hourglass shape makes the line squeeze together and not slip. Bottom line for me would be that if you tell this to your customers, then why would they get mad at you? However, for me if I thought I also had to spend $600 for new anchor line I wouldn't buy the windlass in the first place.

I use my cheapo windlass with three different types of shrimp pot line and both braided and twisted anchor line, and it works equally well with all...my bet is that there is either something wrong with the windlass design, or the line claim is bogus.

PS: Pete's wife has a better job than mine

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    PS: Pete's wife has a better job than mine
    What can I say? I married up...way up! Plus all my boating expenses come out of my summer job, not her check.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Steve, do you have a close-up picture of the gypsy on these units? I realize that windlasses are finicky and require a certain lay of rope for each type of gypsy but I do not buy into the idea of needing their rope.

As far as your rep I would say you have already made it loud and clear that the manufacturer isn't letting you know why so it's kinda on the buyer to try it for themselves. I mean...did they first produce a rope and then come up with a gypsy that would grab it and then build a windlass to spin it or what??? My gut tells me that it would work with several kinds of rope...but that experiment would be expensive any way you slice it.

I for one wouldn't blame you considering the facts of the matter. Maybe you can get them to e-mail a **** good reason for their recommendation and you could share it with us.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Well Steve, I'll rip off my Lewmar if ya let me "borrow" one so I can abuse it all summer with my cheap 1/2" 3 strand. Then I'll let ya know how it holds up.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks for the replies and opinions guys i do appreciate it. Instead of answering each separately i'll try and do it all in here.

Pete yup i know that will happen but one aw **** takes away 100 attaboys and i don't want to get any aw ****s if possible. I'm sure the windlass would work for you if you have a rope locker in the bow thats all it will take.

Ron its not a problem with the windlass its just the manufacturer is making sure that it will work/pull & free drop with no problems, you know with rope coming into the country from who knows where in the world and made of whatever materials are the cheapest the ropes all twist up with different diameters and lays(medium, hard or soft lay) and that has a lot to do with how good a windlass pulls. I didn't know any of this till i got interested in selling windlass's, maybe i should stick with what i know ??

Charlie they are so picky on the rope that they actually own the plant/mill that makes the rope, its next to the place that the windlass's are made at least thats what i've been told by the owner of the company. I don't have any close up pictures to post but i'll check my emails with them to see if there is anything to post.

Maybe i'll just get one to display at the shows and see what kind of responses i get from folks, at least i know there are a few guys that are interested and seeing the unit might just make up there minds. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Oh
    by the way the anchorlines come color coded for depth and have 10' of 5/16" chain spliced into the rope with a stainless thimble.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I found out with my Lewmar that my old braid on braid rode wouldn't work. It was too soft so I bought the 9 plait Lewmar recommended and it works fine, so the line type does matter and the manufacturer's recommendations usually have merit. Steve - as long as you're up front with your customers about using the proper line, I don't think they will have a beef. I tried and it didn't work out but I didn't blame Lewmar. Having to use their line though and finding out after the fact it was impossible to get at least 500' of it in my locker like I can now with my 8 plait would be a different story. I'm hoping their test with the 8 plait works out. I suspect it will perform OK as it's a harder line than braid on braid but may not be hard enough for their gypsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    I found out with my Lewmar that my old braid on braid rode wouldn't work. It was too soft so I bought the 9 plait Lewmar recommended and it works fine, so the line type does matter and the manufacturer's recommendations usually have merit. Steve - as long as you're up front with your customers about using the proper line, I don't think they will have a beef. I tried and it didn't work out but I didn't blame Lewmar. Having to use their line though and finding out after the fact it was impossible to get at least 500' of it in my locker like I can now with my 8 plait would be a different story. I'm hoping their test with the 8 plait works out. I suspect it will perform OK as it's a harder line than braid on braid but may not be hard enough for their gypsy.
    How does that 9 plait flake down into your locker? is it fairly soft so it doesn't take up a lot of room?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Steve - yeah, the 8 plait lays down really well like a soft 3 strand (Goldline is what I use for my pots since it lays nice in a garbage can, back when I was in Whittier) but is hard enough for the gypsy to grab. I got mine from Defender a few years ago and paid about $300 for 500 ft including shipping so a lot less than what Good is asking for their line.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You are a stand up guy even though you were a "salmon choker"!
    Retired fisherman prefer to called salmon stranglers!!
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856