Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Forbes 24B rifle review - many photos and comments

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    739

    Default Forbes 24B rifle review - many photos and comments

    I have attempted to post my entire review and photos from the 24 Hourcampfire site. I have received some email questions and thought this would be helpful. Hope the link is made for you.
    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...in#Post7527151

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    kenai
    Posts
    175

    Default

    how did it shoot group is?
    how many round in the mag 3 or 4 ?

    I also read most of your write up on the link.
    thanks

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    739

    Default

    I only shot two groups of four after sighting it in. Those as you can see from the photos are about an inch. The magazine holds three.
    This was an initial range session to get familiar with it, test a couple other rifles, record my notes and plan for the next session.

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Voiding the warranty for field stripping the bolt, deal breaker for me.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    It looks like any other Remington, and shoots just like any other Remington. So what is so special about the rifle?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Weight. That's about it. If the stock is the same as the NULA it is great at reducing felt recoil and it's very light.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    I only shot two groups of four after sighting it in. Those as you can see from the photos are about an inch. The magazine holds three.
    This was an initial range session to get familiar with it, test a couple other rifles, record my notes and plan for the next session.
    magazine only holds three? ouchy on a wounded bear situation.

  8. #8
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    magazine only holds three? ouchy on a wounded bear situation.
    I've only chased a couple of wounded bears in thick stuff, but with 4 in the rifle (1 in the chamber + 3 down) I doubt you'd run dry before the bear covers the 50 feet that separate the two of you..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've only chased a couple of wounded bears in thick stuff, but with 4 in the rifle (1 in the chamber + 3 down) I doubt you'd run dry before the bear covers the 50 feet that separate the two of you..........
    +1....some of my rifles are 3+1 and others are 4+1, but in a wounded bear scenario I'd be lucky to get 3 away likely, let alone 4 or 5...I certainly wouldn't shy away from a rifle that only holds 3 in the mag...

  10. #10
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    as far as light rifles and magazine capacity are concerned, I really like that those Kimbers have 5 round magazine capacity.

    Made a huge mistake this past year......forgot my spare rifle cartridges miles from where I shot my moose. Since I always travel with an unloaded chamber, had five rifle cartridges to my name. Shot number one: ribs, shot number two a miss in thick brush, shot three.....right through the front shoulders. It was all of 2-3 seconds. Later that night......bear came into camp as we overnighted on the kill. Two rifle cartridges left........

    Folks always talk of following bear into brush, what about three shots, two hits, the third a miss?? Stumbling n jittering through the adrenaline running through you veins, you fumble to reload. Then the bear figures out what hurt him....comes right back at YOU and your fumbling noises. It's happened before. I personally don't find magazine capacity of three acceptable. Dunno though....some folks like frolicking around with hot chambers.....might work out for those folks.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Voiding the warranty for field stripping the bolt, deal breaker for me.
    Its meant to scare the bubba gunsmiths from screwing up stuff.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    It looks like any other Remington, and shoots just like any other Remington. So what is so special about the rifle?
    You evidently didn't pay attention to the write-up.

  13. #13

    Default

    Knik, I have one coming this week. Have you worked up any loads yet?

    Thanks for the write-up over on the fire.

  14. #14

    Default

    It's here.......




  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Well, I am sure you love it, but as I stated two weeks ago, you could drop it in a rack with a bunch of other synthetic stocked rifles and it would simply just be another synthetic stocked rifle.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Well, I am sure you love it, but as I stated two weeks ago, you could drop it in a rack with a bunch of other synthetic stocked rifles and it would simply just be another synthetic stocked rifle.
    It actually is different-at least the grip sure is. For the weight, it also is comfortable off the bench-put 20+rounds through it today.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    Okay, how much does that critter weigh. I think I have something in blued steel and walnut that might trip your trigger. I certainly haven't fired it since I bought it because I know it would likely cripple me. I don't think the thing weighs over 7 pounds, a Husqvarna 9.3x62 that comes up like a fine fowling piece on an m98 action. I need to get some photos.

    Is your rifle a .270 or .30'06?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

    Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

    You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    It actually is different-at least the grip sure is. For the weight, it also is comfortable off the bench-put 20+rounds through it today.

    Sure is a beauty... They also make a lefty which(lujon let me in on that) is a nice change of pace...
    Be sure to post some updates

    Sure are some haters round here.. Hey Mainer ya know in Africa on dangerous game they on hunt with 2. 3 down works fine, I only have two down in my wby and never had an issue including charging brown bears... You don't have that kind of time to get 4 shots off on bears especially in alder and if you don't have one in the pipe when going in the alder after a wounded bear you are foolish at best.. I also always have spare cartridges as I keep em in my sling and on my stock so if I have my gun I have at least 12 shots

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Sure is a beauty... They also make a lefty which(lujon let me in on that) is a nice change of pace...
    Be sure to post some updates

    Sure are some haters round here..
    They will have a SS SA available next year and I will be putting my order in soon. A light 7mm-08 that shoots well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg sounds good to me.
    We don't have to have the same taste's in rifles...

    Nitro: No disrespect intended at all toward you, but to say that all synthetic rifles feel the same is pretty naive- I prefer the stock of a Win Extreme Weather to the Kimber Montana. That doesn't make it better or worse- simply my preference. No need to bash a guy's rifle, especially if you haven't handled or shot it! Just my .02
    BEE

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Okay, how much does that critter weigh. I think I have something in blued steel and walnut that might trip your trigger. I certainly haven't fired it since I bought it because I know it would likely cripple me. I don't think the thing weighs over 7 pounds, a Husqvarna 9.3x62 that comes up like a fine fowling piece on an m98 action. I need to get some photos.

    Is your rifle a .270 or .30'06?
    It's an '06 and gun itself is 5.5 lbs.

    Please don't misunderstand, I am still in the process of warming to synthetics myself. Going home to deer hunt last year in SD didn't
    help much as my Weatherby Backcountry seemed out of place there.

    Post some pics of that Husqy-that 9.3 won't hurt yu'

    Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •