Thread: What are your favorite early season trout flies

Default What are your favorite early season trout flies

Wooly Bugger? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear? We have to pick one for the first cast....

Quote Originally Posted by Handifly View Post
    Wooly Bugger? Gold Ribbed Hares Ear? We have to pick one for the first cast....
    This all depends on how early you're talking. Early early season before break up my go to's are leeches and sculpins. There aren't many bugs alive this early in the spring. Mid April the stoneflies and midges will start to emerge. After that you'll see caddis begin to hatch. Buggers, leeches, and sculpins for march-mid April. Stonefly and midge nymphs/adults mid-late April. Caddis into May and June. As the old adage goes, "match the hatch". Take a small seine with you and kick up some rocks and mud to see if any bugs are out and what kind. If you don't see any bugs try your buggers and leeches. Smolt patterns can also be effective in April-may.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I'm more keyed to trout in rivers feeding on emerging salmon in the spring. That translates into Alevin midday and small streamers morning and evening. In lakes it's hands down for Woolly Buggers, both plain and beadhead, with olive, black and brown topping the list in that order.

Smolt ptrns, streamers, leeches... and smolts.

All the above are excellent suggestions. I also like Dolly Llamas in olive and black.....white fleshflies often work as there is fleshleft sticking to woody debris that is knocked loose by spring flows.

Don't forget beads (if so inclined) I have observed last year's eggs and maggots in many trout and charr stomachs in salmon streams. Plus, whether inseason or not, trout don't forget what a tasty little morsel they are.

But, I usually stick with big and black, smolt patterns, alevin and in Bristol Bay.....May and June were your best days to pound grayling and trout on dry flies as the salmon subsidy was not yet there.....and they are hungry.