Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: what would you do?

  1. #1
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default what would you do?

    Long story short. Took my boat in to have trailer fixed. Trailer done and when I went to pick it up I notice my scagg was damaged and numerous scratches on on lower unit. Well I while deciding what to do, they place decided to file to scagg to make it smooth and said they will weld to fix the spots. This morning I took boat to Deweys and he said no as bad as he thought and a quick solution is put a scagg gaurd over it. Called other place and they seemed not thrilled and wanted to know how much. End they said they will drive to dewey's and talk to dewey's personally.
    This place is trying to do it very cheap. I have been nice so far. Should I just contact my insurance and let them fight it out with them?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  2. #2
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Long story short. Took my boat in to have trailer fixed. Trailer done and when I went to pick it up I notice my scagg was damaged and numerous scratches on on lower unit. Well I while deciding what to do, they place decided to file to scagg to make it smooth and said they will weld to fix the spots. This morning I took boat to Deweys and he said no as bad as he thought and a quick solution is put a scagg gaurd over it. Called other place and they seemed not thrilled and wanted to know how much. End they said they will drive to dewey's and talk to dewey's personally.
    This place is trying to do it very cheap. I have been nice so far. Should I just contact my insurance and let them fight it out with them?
    It all comes down to, "what can you live with?". Is there even the possibility that there could be damage to more than just the skeg, meaning could there damage such as a cracked housing, gear alignment etc that you just haven't noticed yet? I'd probably get my insurance company on early and have it properly evaluated and repaired (replaced?). Better now than when prime season gets here, or you have a catastrophic failure 80 miles from port.

  3. #3
    Member Soundfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Did they admit what they had done, or did you have to find it first? Also, are you guaranteed by Deweys that it is just superficial? That would help me somewhat to be more understanding. If they were apologetic and trying hard to make it right, that means a lot. We all make mistakes, and it is how you handle them that really matters to me.But if they want to be rude, which is what it sounds like to me, I would play hardball. It was not like that when it got there, and it should not be like that when it leaves. I do not tolerate that bullying type attitude from anyone. Go get em'.

  4. #4
    Charterboat Operator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage AK.
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    FUNNY, when i bought my boat (04) the skag was bent just a little, the owner said that Dewys did it and would not cover it. Still running the same motor, skag still tweaked a bit, other than looking at it you couldn't notice. Seen quite a few that have the skag guards on them, it should be just fine if they cover it.

  5. #5
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    I had a skeggard on an old boat and it was fine. I would take Frostbitten's advice though and get it thoroughly checked out. You'd hat to have a bigger problem come summer.

  6. #6
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Gary, what boat is this? Maybe I am wrong, but i don't think your insurance will cover it if in a shop, its their insurance if anything, but doubt if it is big enough damage to be covered by their insurance. You say the skag is damaged and numerout stratches, then you say then want to fix it by welding up the holes. what holes. Are these scratches actually gouges that need filling? I'd see what the firsth shop is going to do before leaving it with deweys, i doubt if the first shop would cover it if you took it to deweys. Bud
    Wasilla

  7. #7

    Default slight misalignment in lower unit can be very bad...........

    You need to be sure there is no misalignment of the lower unit,
    Even slight misalignment can cause the driveshaft to bind, seals to leak, etc.....
    At a minimum it should be tank tested at up to near full rpm to check for vibration or noise

  8. #8
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,117

    Default

    I 2nd titobandito's opinion. You need to contact your insurance co. in the event something comes up later and also have it tested/checked by a Yamaha dealer.
    I'm pretty sure your insurance will cover it regardless of where the damage occurred, thats what insurance is for.
    Odies did some damage to my boat when they were repairing it two years ago and the insurance co was happy that I called them in the event it led to future problems down the road. This way it was documented immediately and not heresay months later when it was time to use it.
    BK

  9. #9
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    When I bought my boat, both motors had dinged up and bent sags. I ended up grinding them down a bit and put on a couple skagguards from Overtons. Best thing ever. Those lower units are pretty tough and can withstand a lot of abuse. But, I'd still get it checked out.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

  10. #10
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Gary, what boat is this? Maybe I am wrong, but i don't think your insurance will cover it if in a shop, its their insurance if anything, but doubt if it is big enough damage to be covered by their insurance. You say the skag is damaged and numerout stratches, then you say then want to fix it by welding up the holes. what holes. Are these scratches actually gouges that need filling? I'd see what the firsth shop is going to do before leaving it with deweys, i doubt if the first shop would cover it if you took it to deweys. Bud
    My insurance would go after there insurance for the claim to fix the motor. I will call Dewey's tomorrow and have them inspect the motor inside and out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  11. #11
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    boat6.jpg

    Some pictures of the damage
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  12. #12
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    boat4.jpg
    one view of the scag
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  13. #13

    Default

    Man, that looks like a rough hit...go with the insurance and have them replace the lower leg housing and pay for the gear swap. Skeg doesn't look bad but I wouldn't want anyone welding on my gearcase. That just plain sucks.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  14. #14
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    boat1.jpg
    Last Picture. I'll post later what they did(grinded the scagg to attempt to fix it)
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  15. #15
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    boat scagg.jpg
    Hope this one works
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  16. #16
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Ok, I will ask. Who did the trailer work? Your boat needs to be returned to you in the same condition that it was brought in. Anything less is not acceptable IMO.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  17. #17
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    ok, i will ask. Who did the trailer work? Your boat needs to be returned to you in the same condition that it was brought in. Anything less is not acceptable imo.

    yeah, i can't say on the fourm.... If you pm i can tell you... Don't want to be banned from here
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  18. #18
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Here are is what they tried to do with out my consent.
    repair 2.jpgrepair 1.jpg
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  19. #19
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    yeah, i can't say on the fourm.... If you pm i can tell you... Don't want to be banned from here
    PM me who did the work. Thanks.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  20. #20
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    repair 3.jpgrepair 4.jpg
    Last two pictures... Typing this is getting me all worked up!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •