Thread: Sell Black Rifle for spotter, good idea?

Question Sell Black Rifle for spotter, good idea?

If you were into, or hoping to one day get into, mountain hunting, etc., would you sell an AK 47 and crate of milsurp ammo to fund the purchase of a higher end spotter, such as a Swaro 20-60x, 65mm HD? I didn't pay that much for it back when such things could be had reasonably - or at all. I feel a little handcapped with my older Nikon Spotter. BTW, I've got a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLCs, so I could make do with the bino's I have right now - I don't need "buy a good pair of bino's" suggestion.

Second question, would you get angled or straight?
    Last edited by Redlander; 03-12-2013 at 13:58. Reason: add info

In a heart beat!!!! ......european optics ain't gettin' any cheaper, and the craze about black rifles will eventually calm down (IMO). Noticed an array of black rifles at the gun show and I see dealers are starting to budge on their overpricing.....just wish I had stocks in the companies that make them.

Probably would if I felt I needed a spotting scope.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think you could get enough cash for more than just a spotting scope. Probably a new scope for the rifle at the very least, along with the spotter.

Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    If you were into, or hoping to one day get into, mountain hunting, etc., would you sell an AK 47 and crate of milsurp ammo to fund the purchase of a higher end spotter, such as a Swaro 20-60x, 65mm HD? I didn't pay that much for it back when such things could be had reasonably - or at all. I feel a little handcapped with my older Nikon Spotter. BTW, I've got a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLCs, so I could make do with the bino's I have right now - I don't need "buy a good pair of bino's" suggestion.

Second question, would you get angled or straight?
    Although I sure wouldn't mind having a real nice spotter, personally I'm still good with my old Nikon. I'm older now and won't be using a spotter now as much as I used to anyway. But you just have to weigh it out........which equipment do you want more? If you think you need the scope more now and can live without the AK for awhile, or maybe forever, then if you are getting a good deal I would trade it for the scope without much thought about it.

Angled or straight? It seems that most favor the angled these days but I've always been ok with the straight. Some say no neck strain with the angled, but that never seemed to bother me anyway. Others say that the angled will get wet a lot easier in a hard rain than the straight will.....meaning that you just may have to shelter it more. I don't really seem to remember having a problem with rain with my straight. But like I said, most seem to prefer the angled.....at least that's what I have noticed here.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I would sell the rifle, but that is just me. Years ago I was given some good advice by a hunter safety instructor. He told me that if I wanted to hunt seriously for trophy size big game that my most expensive piece of equipment should be my spotting scope. Binocs second. Rifle scope third, and rifle fourth. When I was given this advice I was skeptical to say the least because I was kind of a gun guy and especially the latest and greatest high speed super magnum death ray. Back then my gun was my most expensive piece of gear and I cheaped out on the rest cause I didn't have the money after the gun purchases. These days I have learned that any mass produced inexpensive rifle will more than do the necessary job of hitting an animal in the kill zone at a reasonable range. The much more important task of actually finding game and then determining if it is legal or of the size you are seeking requires high end optics to avoid endless extra miles of hiking just to check on what turns out to be a sub legal ram or a mediocre billy.

oh yeah, and I definitely vote for the straight eyepiece. I can't find anything when trying to look through an angled eyepiece.

I'm not much for selling guns I use and not much for keeping guns I don't use. I'd let that answer my dilemma.....

Straight is better for viewing wildgame IME. There are times when angled is great, but for a scope I'll use for hunting (even a little bit) I don't want anything that's not straight.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Negative, no way no how!! Course two things sway my choice. I have a brother who owns 3k worth of Swarovsky. And I just finished watching Red Dawn 15 minutes ago. Even without those two factors I'm not so sure I would unload that rifle.

I would sell it in a heartbeat. A Swaro spotter can be one of those purchases you only need to make once in your life, provided you take care of the glass. I bought one last year and got a lof of flack for spending $2500 on a spotting scope, until a few of my buddies looked through it and saw the difference between their Redfields, and Leupolds. One of those buddies is on the search for a Swaro of his own now. The fact that we could sit on a hill and glass sea ducks on the beach at a mile away, and tell what species they were, what sex and if they were banded or not really made him a believer. I prefer the straight glass, a lot of my time glassing game is on my stomach or on my butt so it works great for me.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Agreed. You get what you pay for when it comes to spotting scopes. Looked through many, but my Zeiss Diascope 85 is in another class. I used mine primarily as a zoom telephoto lens. Mounted a point and shoot camera on the Zeiss camera adapter and photographed musk ox. Looks like they were 10 feet away rather than 200 yards. As for straight or angled, I favor straight personally. If selling an AK-47 to fund a high end spotter, you better have a like new Arsenal AK-47 to even come close. AK's are cheap guns and everyone knows it. A new Diascope or Swarovski will run 3x what even the nicest AK cost. I know the Zeiss 85 will run $3,000-3,500. A brand new Arsenal (best AK-47) will be worth about $1200-1400 in todays ridiculous and time limited gun market. Seems it was a $900-1,000 gun prior to December this past year, a price it will be at again soon when the masses realize there is no gun legislation taking effect limiting their sale. If you found someone with a nice used spotting scope that wanted an AK, you might work out a trade. But selling an AK to buy a nice spotting scope could leave you with a significant bridge to gap.

-Dan

take advantage of the paranoia, sell black gun (high) and buy spotting scope (low) is perfect economic sense

I'd sell that rifle and ammo asap if you are going to. The panic is already dying off day by day.
    You'll most likely be able to replace the rifle in the future for less than you sell it for today. You will most likely NOT be able to buy high end optics for less than you can today.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    You'll most likely be able to replace the rifle in the future for less than you sell it for today. You will most likely NOT be able to buy high end optics for less than you can today.
    I'd say that's logic that is hard to argue with!
    +1
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!