Thread: 280 AI performance ? what are you getting ?

Default 280 AI performance ? what are you getting ?

To the people who have a 280 AI what have the you seen in performance from it compared to what a re-loading manuals state?

Possible like at getting a 280 AI but comparing it to a old 30-06, as of right now not seeing any great improvement IMO.

I was woundering the speeds people are getting and with what bullet weights they are shooting. I like a bullet weight are 160 or so.

thanks

surprised you haven't got a response yet. This caliber seems to be a new bandwagon, moderators galore on that bandwagon too. You're right..... minuscule improvement over a 30-06. Great down-grade to little deer bullets in bear country too.

IMO, an improvement to the 30-06 case, would be a 30-06 AI(not much), or a 338-06 AI (no thanks to sub 30's in bear country). The above stated, should "rowl uppa response" Here comes the ultra long range/sectional density and ballistic coefficient parrots...........................................

haha
    thanks
    ya I am a little suprised to

I'm averaging 3025 FPS with 160 grain TSX's. Its a little hot but it works, I actually had Lex webernick of Rifles INC develop the load for me for the rifle I had him built. I mentioned about this load on other 280 AI threads.

I plan to work up loads this summer for mine if I can find primers, powder and bullets to do it... I have a feeling that I am not the only one who has a lack of components issue. Lots of people that purchased them shortly after Kimber got them to market couldn't get brass except to use fire formed 280. FF brass (at least for me) isn't something I would post about due to the likelihood of variances in case volume. I would be very happy with anything in the 2925-3000 fps range with 160 abonds.

In three different rifles, with barrel lengths from 22 - 25.5 inches, I'm getting 3050 - 3200 fps with 140gr bullets and a variety of powders (RL17, 19, 22, IMR & H4831, N165).

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'm averaging 3025 FPS with 160 grain TSX's. Its a little hot but it works, I actually had Lex webernick of Rifles INC develop the load for me for the rifle I had him built. I mentioned about this load on other 280 AI threads.
    For frame of reference, I have to go some and be pretty careful to top 3100 even by a little with 160 grain Partitions from my 7mm RemMag and 24" barrel. That sezz awfully good things about the capabilities of the 280 AI, cuzz the load I've cited is my do-it-all go-to load for 7mag.

Perhaps a touch off topic but maybe not.

A guy that I'm working with received a custom build, (his description), rifle from his grandmother after his grandfather passed. He describes the rifle as quite heavy with a fancy wood stock bedded and a heavy contour long barrel. He thinks it's a Remington type action and the barrel is inscribed 7mmAI.

I've volunteered to look it over and work up a load since he has not been able to find ammo in any of the shops around town. I won't have the rifle in my hands until late next week.

Based on the 7mmAI inscription is it reasonable to assume this is a 280AI ? Isn't the 280AI a tweaked .280 Remington, a .284 in a 30-06 case with a longer blown out body?

Marshall that really depends on the smith. There was a number of improved Ackleys in 7mm including the 7x57. I'd get some cerrosafe and do a chamber cast. I am suspecting the owner does not have any brass.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    Marshall that really depends on the smith. There was a number of improved Ackleys in 7mm including the 7x57. I'd get some cerrosafe and do a chamber cast. I am suspecting the owner does not have any brass.
    Yup, Cerrosafe all the way. Even heavy as it is, I'd be a little surprised if it's not a 7x57 AI. Time was in my youth, that was one of the more popular PO rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by PRDATR View Post
    I've been all over the net tonight, even called a few friends. I'm leaning in the 7X57 direction too. We've already discussed doing a cast and taking measurements. You are correct, he doesn't have any brass or loaded ammo.

I will have the rifle by the end of next week. I have a few other projects underway but I will follow up on this one with great interest. It will be my first opportunity to play with an Akley modified cartridge design.

In the end it will be a project that allows me to build a box of ammo for a co-worker so he can enjoy the gift his grandfather left him and a chance to expand my reloading experiences.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone has a rifle with the same 7mmAI inscription please chime in with your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I've been all over the net tonight, even called a few friends. I'm leaning in the 7X57 direction too. We've already discussed doing a cast and taking measurements. You are correct, he doesn't have any brass or loaded ammo.

I will have the rifle by the end of next week. I have a few other projects underway but I will follow up on this one with great interest. It will be my first opportunity to play with an Akley modified cartridge design.

In the end it will be a project that allows me to build a box of ammo for a co-worker so he can enjoy the gift his grandfather left him and a chance to expand my reloading experiences.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone has a rifle with the same 7mmAI inscription please chime in with your knowledge.
    Marshall, It most likely is a 7x57 AI. That was once a very popular case to AI because it has so much taper before improving it so the gain is more than some of the more modern cases.

Back to the 280 AI it is a case (pun intended) where AI and other factors tend to improve it's ballistics a great deal. First it was first introduced in an auto loading and slide action rifle and loading for it was a very mild 50 kPSI. To load it to 270 winchester pressures improves it's performance. Secondly the 280 case, once feared it could be chamber in the popular 270 Winchester chamber, was made .050" longer at the shoulder to prevent this. The is powder space the 270 and 30-06 do not have. Third is the AI body expansion and forty degree shoulder which add more powder space to the cartridge. When I did my first pressure testing on the cartridge I was impressed with how close it was to the 7mm Rem. mag. in performance, with 150 grain bullets hitting 3100 fps. It seems to be at it's best with bullets of abut 150 and 160 grains but gives improved performance with all weights. To fire form cases with a hand load, use standard 280 brass (never 270 or necked 30-06) and load a moderate load with any inexpensive bullet and push seat it into the rifling. Us a mid burn rate powder such as 4895. This will fire form the case to your specific chamber and prevent excessive case stretching at the web which can lead to case separation. The load the fireformed case with 280 Ackley data.

On another note, a properly chambered AI cartridge will shoot the standard ammo with a snug bolt closure and be perfectly safe.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm going to start a new thread on the rifle I mentioned. Not intending on hijacking this one.