Thread: Afognak Bear 291

Default Afognak Bear 291

hello everyone,
    Im looking for information or stories from people who have done this hunt, ive been digging around all over the internet trying to get as much info as possible, as this will be my first brown bear hunt. I hunted elk on Afognak 2 years ago and decided then that it would be a good place to try for bear. Anyway I if anyone can help with resources, I would sure appreciate it, I dont have much to offer, other than when caribou are or aren't near the haul road. oh and by the way, I plan on using a 30-06 some would say its a bit underkill, anyone have opinions on that?

There have been a ton of threads about the 30-06 for big bears and most turn into debates. 39-06 has been used for everything and will kill what you shoot at, proper shot placement is the key to clean kills. I am sure you will have a back up partner with you so I see no issue with your choice of rifle. As for hunting the island I have not been there myself, good luck in a great hunt!

Personally I would be packing something a little heavier if I could, and would at least have a hunting partner. A 30-06 will do the trick if you do your part and place your shot properly. I would be sure to throw some lead down range to make sure you are comfortable with whichever rifle you choose. A large cal. revolver is a welcome companion in bear country.

Ill be headed to Afognak to hopefully bag an Elk this Oct. Were you sucessfull on your Elk hunt? How did it go? Where did you hunt? I will be hunting out of the Pillar Lake cabin with a few guys-2 tags to fill. Any tips would be appreciated!

I wouldn;t think twice about the 30.06, just make sure you can put the bullet where you want it. But I'm also the guy using a recurve to hunt Kodiak this spring sooo........

Dont worry, the world record Kodiak Bear was shot with an '06 back in I believe 1956. Go for it using the best ammo out there.

agreed. wife is taking her 06 out to afognak with us this year for brownies, shes confident and accurate with it which is very important with those big bears.

Do you handload? Maybe try some hot 180 Gr. Round Nose bullets. You will be limited on range, but they sure hit hard at 100yds or less.

Myself and a couple buddies hunted that unit for 9 days last fall and didn't see a single bear or any fresh sign. I was on the east side of Izhit Bay. We however did see a ton of elk all within 1/2 mile of the coast and several nice bulls.

My recommendation is to be mobile, either take an inflatable or go in by boat.

As for elk hunting out of Pillar, knew a guy who hunted there last fall for elk and could see them but couldn't find a way up the ridge.

PM if you have anymore questions.