Thread: 2012 Skandic WT Electrical Issue

Default 2012 Skandic WT Electrical Issue

I was out at my friends trapline the last few days (about 80km back). We were building trail, and when we went to start his skidoo, it just didn't.
    As in nada. Had been running just fine, shut it off to run a chainsaw, 5 minutes later, no start. Checked the electronic key connection, checked all fuses. Battery connections. It would pull start with the emergency cord, and run like a champ, go through all its diagnostics, no issues. While running, I could pull the electronic key and it would shut off. If the key was not aligned properly, it would recognise the DESS fault until it was aligned. Kill switch worked fine.
    Any ideas before I haul it into the shop and dig out the electrical schematic and my multimeter? It was bought through a trappers discount, so as a commercail sled, it had only 12 month warranty.
    Forgot to mention engine: 600 ETEC.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

My guess would be battery, starter solenoid, starter, or ignition switch. The battery may have enough to run the thing but not enough volts to trip the solenoid. Start with the battery voltage and then work your way through the starting circuit with the meter.

Any one of those things could have had a sudden internal failure. Stuff happens.

I agree check battery, and nearby connections....
    These sleds are great, just wish they weren't so expensive. I love em

When you pushed the start button there was nothing? Have you thawed it out yet?

You may have a stuck starter, take a small hammer and tap the starter and try starting it at the same time.
    If that does not fix the problem put your Vom across the starter and check the voltage when trying to start it.

My friend has same year, same engine in the SWT. It was the electronic key after he was towed home and brought it to the shop. He got a new key and it worked fine.

We had a spare key and that wasn't it. You couldn't even hear the relay pulling in when we tried the starter.
    Hadn't really considered the battery being shot, as I had thought the ETECs required a good battery to run, thus I figured the battery should have had enough juice to at least energize the relay.
    The owner is picking up some spare relays (there are two in the fuse box) and we'll throw those in and see if that works. Otherwise, into my shop.
    Strange, the other BRP product on the trip died and wouldn't start when we got back to the parking lot. My 440 BearCat ran like a top....
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Must have been HAARP.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Must have been HAARP.
    Lots of Aurora that night. Hmmm....
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

2 broken wires in the wiring harness from the handlebars. Right at the base of the steering column, the wiring harness makes a hard bend. Right there, 2 wires had worn and broken. Skandic guys might want to check theres out.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

yes, that's common with any machine that bombs through the woods. Glad you found the problem, good sniffin. Call you a hound-dog of snowmachine repair.

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    Must have been HAARP.
    True man, true...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    2 broken wires in the wiring harness from the handlebars. Right at the base of the steering column, the wiring harness makes a hard bend. Right there, 2 wires had worn and broken. Skandic guys might want to check theres out.
    Thanks for the update, yukoner. Little tidbits like that can be a lifesaver.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I was out at my friends trapline the last few days (about 80km back). We were building trail, and when we went to start his skidoo, it just didn't.
    As in nada. Had been running just fine, shut it off to run a chainsaw, 5 minutes later, no start. Checked the electronic key connection, checked all fuses. Battery connections. It would pull start with the emergency cord, and run like a champ, go through all its diagnostics, no issues. While running, I could pull the electronic key and it would shut off. If the key was not aligned properly, it would recognise the DESS fault until it was aligned. Kill switch worked fine.
    Any ideas before I haul it into the shop and dig out the electrical schematic and my multimeter? It was bought through a trappers discount, so as a commercail sled, it had only 12 month warranty.
    Forgot to mention engine: 600 ETEC.

I have one and have had the same issue. I found it is snow that melted in the starter switch which froze and did not allow starter button to make contact. Either bring in and warm up or push button hard a few times, breaks ice, starts. It usually happens after deep snow/powder. I have kept the handle bar clean after powder rides and not had the issue since (mine is a 2011 WT Etec)