Thread: Winchester 70 .270 pre-war at the Palmer Gun Show

Default Winchester 70 .270 pre-war at the Palmer Gun Show

I picked up the very nice pre-war Model 70 in .270 Win. that the nice gentleman had on his table up at the front of the hall. He was asking $875 for it, I thought that was quite a good price for the condition of the gun after I checked on-line.

One feature that made the gun interesting was that it lacked sling swivels. I looked very closely - there is no signs that they were ever installed. I've looked at a lot of Win 70s over the years and i don't recall ever seeing one with out swivels before. Anybody got any information on a Mdl 70 lacking the normal sling swivels?

The gun is the 12,XXX serial number range so it would have been made in 1937 according to my reference.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I picked up the very nice pre-war Model 70 in .270 Win. that the nice gentleman had on his table up at the front of the hall. He was asking $875 for it, I thought that was quite a good price for the condition of the gun after I checked on-line.

One feature that made the gun interesting was that it lacked sling swivels. I looked very closely - there is no signs that they were ever installed. I've looked at a lot of Win 70s over the years and i don't recall ever seeing one with out swivels before. Anybody got any information on a Mdl 70 lacking the normal sling swivels?

The gun is the 12,XXX serial number range so it would have been made in 1937 according to my reference.
    I used to see them quite a bit without swivel studs in Arizona. To use it horseback like the old Winchester ads touted studs are somewhat in the way Id guess it was ordered in horse country, pre war there was a lot of horse country. So Im not surprised that it came without studs but am that in over 70 years nobody installed them on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default sling swivels

Thanks for that information. Guy I got it from said it must have been a special order - I guess buying a new Mdl 70 in 1937 was a big deal and you get what you wanted. I may try hunting with it some day but the lack of sling swivels will be a big negative. Perhaps I can pick up another stock that has been modified.

Rifle did manage to survive for some 75 years without getting sling swivels or a recoil pad added but it doesn't show much usage. Someone did add a Lyman 48 peep sight but it is a pre-war model; perhaps it was special order also.

Got to load up some .270 ammo and go give it a try this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I used to see them quite a bit without swivel studs in Arizona. To use it horseback like the old Winchester ads touted studs are somewhat in the way Id guess it was ordered in horse country, pre war there was a lot of horse country. So Im not surprised that it came without studs but am that in over 70 years nobody installed them on it.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK