Thread: Baby carrier

Default Baby carrier

Does anyone have any recommendations on a baby carrier to use on hikes? My wife and I are expecting our first in May and this will be our last summer in Alaska, so I would like to get out and explore a little bit if we can.

Slings are the way to go for the first year. My wife liked the Ergo baby carrier, but I did most of the carrying the first year and I really liked a simple sling. The baby will feel secure and will be a natural cuddled position while you're hiking. We had our boy on top of a mountain within a couple weeks of birth and we had both of them all over the place their first summer. In many ways the first year is the easiest. Once they're able to move on their own, it gets a whole lot more complicated.

Once they get a little bigger, the backpack option becomes pretty nice.

We had a couple of the REI Sherpanis; they're good for long hikes (lots of storage, rain canopy, etc.) I also looked at the Kelty, seemed pretty nice. The Baby Bjorn for the 4-wheeler.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Thanks for your help and responses! I was looking at the ergo, but I don't know for sure if that is what we're gonna get. Cdubbin, you liked the sherpani? Was your kid comfortable in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jibby View Post
    Thanks for your help and responses! I was looking at the ergo, but I don't know for sure if that is what we're gonna get. Cdubbin, you liked the sherpani? Was your kid comfortable in it?
    Seemed to like it

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg