Thread: ft Wainwright archery range

Default ft Wainwright archery range

Anyone know who operates or donates to the range on FT Wainwright?

there is no one.... Last guy to upgrade it retired here not long ago.

are you the one looking to do the eagle scout project?

Trad no I am not but the kid came to range control yesterday and pitched it, and everyone was curious who ran it. If it gets done could be a nice range

Like tradbow said no one runs it or is in control of it. MWR tossed it around a few times but there was never enough support for them to throw targets ( $$$$$) out there. Years ago there WERE some nice 3D targets there until someone decided they needed them at their house more than everyone else needed them at the range. Now we have what it there currently the bags and hay bales.

yeah i figured nobody claimed the archery range and remember the 3 D targets when there was a walk through range on birch hill, but the plan the Boy Scouts have is pretty good and hopefully gets approval and blessed off on by whoever

There was a lot of new 3-D targets bought around 2000 when they tried to kick off a archery club. A building was promised for the club but later pulled. The targets were placed in a connex (type of storage). MWR would not rent the targets out to try and recover any money. Later on a lot of the targets made there way to a archery shop in North Pole. When i found out they were from FWW and tried to shoot them there at the shop, I was quickly told they were for traditional shooters only. Thats when I lost respect for the shop and never went back, some never the targets didn't even belong to them. Plus nobody on post could ever tell me how the targets made there way out to the shop. Go figure

actually a shop claimed the range....I had this talk last night.

"Years ago there WERE some nice 3D targets there until someone decided they needed them at their house more than everyone else needed them at the range"

Thats not true. They were 'donated' to the far north. I dont remember who mandated this move...they didnt go to north pole archery also, atleast originally.

i remember the conex,/ shack project, but thats all I remember, I do know its would be great to have a nice range with dedicated maintenance quality targets

yes, they(alot of them) were at North Pole Archery at one time. One of the owners even told me they were from FWW. I know one person that had something to do with them going to the archery shop. I want get into a peeing match over it but there was some shady **** done.

I put a lot of time in helping set archery ranges up on FWW but they always seemed to get trashed. They use to have a Techno Hunt (sp) system in the Rec Center also back in the first part of the 90's.

I hear the shady **** part. If you're familiar with the 90s than you may remember there used to be a complete bow shop setup at the ski hill, fletching jigs, bow press's blah blah blah. More crap that 'came up missing' and no one remembers lol. Along with 3ds that did get stolen out of a conex, I believe that fell in the late 80's before my time, these obviously predate the 3ds we are referencing in previous posts. You're right though those targets did get to NPA shortly after the 'transition' to FNA. I dont know the loop holes from fna to npa once they left they were out of my net. Though we probably have crossed paths on base.

Wiso, Talk to bubba about this. If you dont know who he is, holler I'll give you his info, you work with him. The person he's going to connect you with is one of two that I know who had the binder set up to work those bales when we shot both at the current place and over acrossed from the new basset in the big field. John Sheets used to borrow us the binder to redo them. Doug Macke did up a newsletter or two for the base years ago. I may have one or I'm sure I can get a copy of it as we're still in touch. I have so much crap if I did have one I wouldnt know where its at LOL!

Yeah Bubba was in on conversation Fred too we all forgot, Fred did mention something that I also remember is that alot of those 3 D targets went to the Airforce base because at the time they had a hanger to shoot in during winter months.
    After it was mentioned it rang a bell in my head and I do remember Eialson AFB having a very active a rather large archery club.
    I do remember the bow workshop on the ski hill, would of been nice to have kept it up and maybe even get some 3D shoots but OH well what can you do.
    I do hope that regardless of past issues the range gets upgraded and monitored by people who have time, energy and dedication

time energy and dedication is an ever changing thing...GNAA is a good example lol!

I wonder what happened to all that gear that was at the ski hill...it 'dissappeared'. No recollection lol.

It would probably just make you mad to know what happened to that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    time energy and dedication is an ever changing thing...GNAA is a good example lol!

I wonder what happened to all that gear that was at the ski hill...it 'dissappeared'. No recollection lol.
    I dont know who scored all the gear, I know for sure who didnt score any gear hahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    It would probably just make you mad to know what happened to that stuff
    I doubt it will make me mad I am a federal employee and see and know way to much fraud waste and abuse already hahahhahahahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    I doubt it will make me mad I am a federal employee and see and know way to much fraud waste and abuse already hahahhahahahahahha

I hear you on that, I'm in the same boat with you.