Thread: Fireweed shoots

Default Fireweed shoots

I've always wanted to try young fireweed shoots, but just have never gotten around to it. What's the best growth stage to pick fireweed shoots, and what do you do with them? Any recipes appreciated. Thanks for any info!

The fireweed growing here are still very small and hardly worth picking just yet. Usually they are best when about 3 to 6 inches tall, before the leaves really open up and the stalk is still tender. Cook them like asparagus sautéed in butter, or add to stir-fry. One of our favorites is to simply chop and add to the top of a pot of steaming rice a few minutes before serving. When I add them to soups or stews I usually throw them in right at the end so they still have a bit of texture and aren’t too soggy. You can also eat fireweed raw and it is a good addition to a salad.

My son brought back a handfull of shoots last night (bottom right in the picture, top left is a sprig of spearmint) to go along with the rabbit dinner. I chopped them up and added to the Alfredo-noodle side dish just before serving.

If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Excellent! Just the kind of info I had hoped to learn. This is shaping up to be a fine forum.

Thumbs up

A little early here too, but I managed to find a small bunch—10 or so—which I added to a lettuce/tomato salad last night.