Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1000 yd range becoming a reality.

Default 1000 yd range becoming a reality.

After a long week of work, we are almost done clearing the new 1000 yd range at Upper Susitna Shooters at mile 94 on the Parks Highway. We should be done by tomorrow. Our grant request for money to build the range cleared the first hurdle and was approved at the state level by the Friends of the NRA. It now needs to go to the national committee to be awarded. This should not be an issue. This part of our project didn't cost us much as the guy logging the trees off the range is doing it in exchange for the wood. Once the ground dries up this summer we will be tackling a 20 tall ridge that crosses the range between the 600 and 700 yard mark. We hope to have all the earth work done by the end of the summer using the money from the FNRA. From then on it will be a work in progress. Final plans are for target risers and pits just like the real long distance ranges. I believe this will the first public 1000 yard range in the state.

Shameless plug for the FNRA- It's important these days to be involved in shooting both by defending our Second Amendment rights politically AND supporting the use and education about firearms. The FNRA is a non-profit that fund raises to provide monies for range development and education. The FNRA is not a political organization in any way. I'd encourage each and every one of you to buy raffle tickets and attend events sponsored by the FNRA. They do great work and the money does find it's way down to local clubs. On that note, we have formed the Upper Susitna Friends of the NRA. We will be holding our first banquet in October. I'd love to see all you guys from this forum at our event. It will be a good time.

Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Good on ya. I have a cabin close by and will be seeing you more it looks like. A lot more. I don't use your range now only because when I am up that way I use the opportunity to shoot out in the woods for practice. I use the ranges closer to home for load development. I will have to get some reloading gear up to the cabin now and stretch my legs a bit. Congrats.

Shame we can't use small town run ways any more.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Very nice....
    Esse quam videri

Thanks for all your work on this Doug. My wife and I have come up and shot a couple of times and it is a great range. Only snafu sometimes is knowing when it will be open.

Looking forward to coming and shooting more in the coming year(s). How much do you think the dirt work will affect the range being open this summer?

thanks again

Awesome Doug! I may just move to Alaska now... but don't tell anyone... it might ruffle some feathers <grin>
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Thanks for all your work on this Doug. My wife and I have come up and shot a couple of times and it is a great range. Only snafu sometimes is knowing when it will be open.

Looking forward to coming and shooting more in the coming year(s). How much do you think the dirt work will affect the range being open this summer?

thanks again
    Thanks for coming up and using the range. We are completely run by volunteers so scheduling in the past has been a small issue. Last season we had a good amount of volunteers to run the range and we managed to keep open Friday through Monday pretty much every weekend.

I have taken over the head range officer job. We will be holding a range officer class on April 20 and hopefully that will garner some more volunteers to keep things open. Our plan is to once again make sure we are open Fri-Mon and most Wednesdays.

Dirt work on the 1000 yd range will not effect the rest of the facility one bit. We are looking forward to a good season, but I know for a fact that ammo shortages are going to put a dent in our attendance.

If anyone wants to get ahold of me, my range email is operations@susitnashooters.org

Wow! Good job!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Doug:
    That is fantastic! I can't wait to use the range and would gladly make a donation for the hard work y'all have done.
    BEE

Please keep this thread updated with progress. Great job to you and the entire crew making that happen. First rate.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Awesome Doug! I may just move to Alaska now... but don't tell anyone... it might ruffle some feathers <grin>
    That's what feathers are for.

Just don't bring any Rattlesnakes.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Good on you folks, Doug. Your experience mirrors mine with FNRA in Nome. The Nome shooters had a lot of help from FNRA and the result was great. I attended the last few years banquets there and they were quite enjoyable. Even got my raffle money back most years in guns and stuff I won.
    In Nome, we formed a "sportsmans assoc". Once the range was done, the automobile entrance was locked with members only having access. That made a big difference in damage to the range. I now use the public range here in Fbks and the presence of folks who are less than respectful of the privilege is obvious.
    But really, Doug............why does anyone NEED a 1000 yd range?
    I'll have to see what I can do about attending a banquet!
    Good Job.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's what feathers are for.

Just don't bring any Rattlesnakes.

SOTN
    No worries Smitty. Rattlesnakes don't like Alaska. They would only crawl back if i did bring'em. Too bad though.... they make nice hat bands
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

That's great news. I turn the magical "over 60" this fall and should be putting in for a lifetime membership at that time; getting ready for our move! I've looked over your range a couple of times and talked to the range officer at the time and was impressed.

As my time will be more agreeable then, maybe I could help out during the week for people that don't want to put up with the weekend crowding.

Sounds good Leonard. We have a Range officer training class on April 20th.

Boy that will be nice to have such a range in AK. Even if my shooting skills or rifles are not up to the 1,000 yard challenge right now.
    I attend the FNRA banquets in Kenai every year.
    I would like to wish you good luck at your banquet this year. Maybe you will get lucky and make the big dog list like Kenai does each year.
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com

Doug,
    I am assuming that there will be some ranges shorter than 1000 yds. for those of us less optimistic about our abilities?
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Anchorage Suburbanites and part time Willowbillies.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Doug,
    I am assuming that there will be some ranges shorter than 1000 yds. for those of us less optimistic about our abilities?
    http://www.susitnashooters.org/services/services.htm

Nice work!
    Question: whats the adress of the range? I want to see how far it is from vine in wasilla. Or from wasilla in general.

They are about 50 miles up from the parks/vine intersection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast