Thread: lake louise

Default lake louise

Hey guys,

Im going to be going out to lake louise next sunday and staying for a few days. I've been reading the wolf pack report on the trail conditions and even called the lodge but have not heard of any fishing reports.

Has anyone fished here lately and have a report? First time out to lake louise and have no idea what to expect. Im hoping for a few burbot mainly.

Thanks guys and happy fishing!

will baldwin(f2k)

Fish hard. Fish long. If you don't see any action after 15 minutes. Pick up your crap and move a few hundred yards. Bring an auger extension. 8" auger hole is really tight, you really need a 10". Try depths of 5-20ft for lakers. For burbot, fish under 5 ft of water. They are spawning right now and should be aggressive. Remember to check the regs very carefully. The troopers wil be out. Good luck

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Try depths of 5-20ft for lakers.
    Really? Only 5-20 ft of water? I haven't fished out there much myself but I always heard lakers are much deeper in the winter. More like 20-60 ft deep. Are they shallower right now because spring is coming or something?

Most lakers Ive seen caught in all those lakes were at around 15-20. They cruise the shallows hunting baitfish. And this time of year they are following the whitefish into the shallows, because the whitefish are following the burbot that are spawning in the shallows so they can gorge on thier eggs. And of course, the lakers also enjoy a burbot meal. The fish are where the food is. Jus sayin.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Most lakers Ive seen caught in all those lakes were at around 15-20. They cruise the shallows hunting baitfish. And this time of year they are following the whitefish into the shallows, because the whitefish are following the burbot that are spawning in the shallows so they can gorge on thier eggs. And of course, the lakers also enjoy a burbot meal. The fish are where the food is. Jus sayin.
    Sound advice! food source is a major element of catching the cheetah of trout. "we need to move" echos on the lake when hunting lake trout.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I know if u go straight out from Larson bay. Go to the left and about 100 yards off of the shore. It's about 5-10 feet deep. I have caught decent lakers and burbot late in the evening in the past.

Can you drive out on Lake Louise or do you need a snowmachine?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Can you drive out on Lake Louise or do you need a snowmachine?
    There is about an acre in front of the lodge in 3 foot of water that you can drive on when it is plowed. Only once every few years is it somewhat safe to drive on the lake. It is a short period during breakup. Right now you would be bat crap crazy to take a vehicle on the lake. A dozer or track rig maybe, but not a truck. I have seen several trucks on the lake in the winter. They were all stuck before they got off the lake.

If you take a truck on the groomed trail and mess it up, you will not be treated kindly. The groomer is not fuel friendly and people use the groomed trail to haul in supplies and building materials.

Overflow has been a problem this year. If you have a short track, you might want to stay on a trail. However, this is the first year that I have had 80% of a groomed trail turn into water when I rode down it.

In places the snow did not bond to the ice. If you get heavy on the throttle, you will burn down to ice and be stuck. Even worse when towing a sled.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    There is about an acre in front of the lodge in 3 foot of water that you can drive on when it is plowed. Only once every few years is it somewhat safe to drive on the lake. It is a short period during breakup. Right now you would be bat crap crazy to take a vehicle on the lake. A dozer or track rig maybe, but not a truck. I have seen several trucks on the lake in the winter. They were all stuck before they got off the lake.

If you take a truck on the groomed trail and mess it up, you will not be treated kindly. The groomer is not fuel friendly and people use the groomed trail to haul in supplies and building materials.

Overflow has been a problem this year. If you have a short track, you might want to stay on a trail. However, this is the first year that I have had 80% of a groomed trail turn into water when I rode down it.

In places the snow did not bond to the ice. If you get heavy on the throttle, you will burn down to ice and be stuck. Even worse when towing a sled.
    your making it sound no fun again.

I did really well there this weekend. Five lakers and one big burbut in 6 hours of fishing. Split the time between 2 spots, both were 35' deep. The burbut was on the bottom of coarse and bit on a herring tip up. The lakers were all caught on tube jigs except one that INHALED a airplane jig and they where about 5' off the bottom. Over flow has gotten much better but there are still spots that we had to bar out to get thru. Was gorgeous out. Many thanks to Jedi for giving me a refresher coarse!

Lake Louise really needs its Lakers to be returned after being caught and cared for carefully and quickly. I'm normally a catch and eat guy, but I've returned ever single laker caught there by me, my boy, or on my canoe. We should each make up our own mind though, so no stones thrown here.

FM, not sure if that was directed to me or not but I assure you I release my lakers. I have kept 2ea in 12 years and that was because they weren't going to make it. Burbut on the other hand, well, they are just to yummy! Here's a not so great pic from last weekend. I got to remember to face the SUN for clearer pics,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    FM, not sure if that was directed to me or not but I assure you I release my lakers. I have kept 2ea in 12 years and that was because they weren't going to make it. Burbut on the other hand, well, they are just to yummy! Here's a not so great pic from last weekend. I got to remember to face the SUN for clearer pics,lol.
    sweet! FOW?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Hi Steve, No, not at anyone individually, my comment was only about the resource. Sounds like you have some concern for that same resource too, if you're releasing a hog like that. Do you have to get a Hog-Stamp on your fishing license before you can fish for those? ;-)

Good job sir.

potentially headed to louise this weekend to chase some fish, im sure fishing should be picking up, only caught one fish there between the last two trips so have some making up to do.

ANY UPDATES ON FISHING??
    NRA life Member JVJ

also is an extension needed???
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    potentially headed to louise this weekend to chase some fish, im sure fishing should be picking up, only caught one fish there between the last two trips so have some making up to do.

ANY UPDATES ON FISHING??
    Last weekend the fishing was very slow from what I gathered. I heard of a couple small burbot and one laker. You may or may not need an extension. It all depends on where you drill your hole. Overflow was gone.... for once. I ran 80 miles and never saw any. Lots of freight being hauled. Try not to tear up the groomed trails.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Bout 3o" of ice

Sounds good, ill be there for the weekend. thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ