Thread: Twin Outboard Throttles

Default Twin Outboard Throttles

The throttles on my twin Honda 135's on my Hewes AK 26' have always been uneven when they are at the same rpm, and one of them keeps creeping back if I am not holding it. The amount of unevenness and rate of creep vary some, but it is almost always the left throttle has to be ahead of the right, and it is also the one that creeps. I noticed this when I bought the boat new, but the dealer said although it could be adjusted, it would always be uneven when getting the rpm's to match. When I am cruising I sure would like to let the throttles go without having to constantly readjust one of them, and sometimes the right one moves too. I do have counter-rotating props.

Help???

isn't their a adjustmentt for the tension on the cables on the control box ? I'm not familiar with honda's but the ones i had on my bowpicker and the Kobelt control on the boat i have now have them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well, Steve, you would think so....you don't really get much of an owners manual with the HC, separate manuals for a lot of the equipment, like the Wallas Stove, or the windshield wipers, and an owner's manual for the honda motors, but nothing on the controls. As some know, I've used this boat 5 seasons, about time I deal with this I have looked at the throttle control box some, but not enough, and haven't explored the engine end. Not sure how to even get into the control box, maybe from the bottom, the side seem sealed, and there are buttons to release the throttle from transmission so you can idle fast but that about it. It's hard when you don't live where your boat is stored all winter, when I get there I have people with me and we all just want to go out! I do annual maintenance like lower units and oil change before I leave at end of summer, but not much else...wish it was here with me, or me there with it so I could tinker during the winter.

Cap'nRon
    The friction adjustment screws are under the binnicle cover toward the back. The cover can be a PIA to get off. Good Luck.

Nunya beat me to it. If yours are like mine there's a rubber cover just to the back side of the binnacle cover. That cover hides tension screws to control the tension on the throttles so they won't creep on you. As far as getting them to be exactly the same throttle I'm at a loss. My aren't the same either but they are close and it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Thanks guys...but I had to google "binnacle", I hadn't a clue...well wikipedia says it's the dash with all the instruments in front of the steering wheel, whoops, I mean the helm Here's the link for the rest of you that didn't know this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binnacle

Patrick, the uneveness wouldn't bother me either if the dang thing didn't creep. I will look underneath when me and my boat meet up again in mid May! If I can tighten them up, that will be great. To tell the truth, I haven't really tried to find the adjustment that hard, but with the clues you and Nunya gave me, I will get it done this time.

Our kingfisher with twin 150's does the same thing, drives me crazy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

The adjust screws aren't on the dash but, at least what Ive always called, the binnacle or casing under the throttle controls. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Notice the black box the throttles are attached to. On the lower right side of this box, as it appears in photo, there's a rubber strip. You just pull this strip off and there are adjustment screws in there for each throttle. Just tighten up the screw until the throttle stops creeping but not too tight or the control isn't smooth. Now this is a Yamaha setup and I don't remember what I had when I had a Honda but I'd bet it's similar.

Hope this helps and maybe we'll see ya this summer.

Yamaha Binnacle.jpg

Thanks, Patrick. As my grandfather used to say "A blind man sitting on a jackass could see that!" So now I can too, and I hope we'll connect this summer too!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Thanks, Patrick. As my grandfather used to say "A blind man sitting on a jackass could see that!" So now I can too, and I hope we'll connect this summer too!
    Ha....now that there is funny. No way in the world would I ever say that to you as I'm sure you'd figure it out on your own. Just thought I'd throw it out there and save you some time. Anyway...hopefully you'll see the same thing on your setup, as mine is a Yamaha, and get it fixed.

I've heard another version of your saying as well. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn. Ha! I love that one.

Honda controls are a little different. They don't have access to the screws like the yamaha does. You have to pull the cover off to get to them. If memory serves me, You have to squeeze the cover in the front and back to release the tabs holding it on. Some drill two small holes in the cover while it's off to have access to the adjustment screws in the future.

Ron, clearly the problem is the poor girl doesn't get used often enough, easily rectified by getting it to me in Homer where it can be used year round
    How do ya like those Hondas by the way? We've to a pair of used ones at the shop (the 135's) owners repowered to larger motors.

Nunya...thanks a bunch for that tip specific to the Honda controls...as they say in Dixie: Ya can't beat that with a stick! I used to have a number for the PNW Honda Tech Rep, but it changed. Used to be able to ask him these questions, maybe I will try the HC factory or the dealer again so I know for sure when I get back to AK soon, but sounds like you have shown me the path now!

Big Jim: I have nothing but good things to say about my Honda 135's...on my HC Alaskan 26' I get between 2.5 and 3.0 mpg, or 8-12 gal/hr depending on speed and conditions, staying under 5k rpm, usually 4200-4500 and 24-28 knots. Better yet, I get on step in about 1 1/2 seconds, no bull, I am there just instantly. Even better, I can get on step with one motor. No one on the forum has ever done that with the usual Yamaha 115's on these boats, and I think I get better economy. A lot of it might be the props, I have 15"x15 pitch stainless props, say Honda on them, of course someone makes them for Honda...With 156 gallons of fuel, and 4 people and maybe 1000 lbs of additional gear, it still performs like this...at closer to the lower mpg and higher gph.

Now, I have to say these are the only engines I've ever had on this boat, and my former boat had a mercruiser engine and outdrives. It used to rare up and take forever to go down on plane, a real PITA. Also, I buy everything Honda I can, generators, 4 wheeler, mower, garden tiller, two cars, etc. Never had a complaint in performance or durability on anything...well maybe where they put the oil filters on their autos!

You can also adjust the slack out of the cables at the binnacle or at the motors, that will get the handles at the same positions.

This was a great discussion. My Honda 150 controls was doing the same thing. I was told you can adjust the controls like mentioned above but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off. I was also told that you don't want to over tighten the friction discs. If you do it may be hard to move into and out of neutral forward and reverse easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Change View Post
    This was a great discussion. My Honda 150 controls was doing the same thing. I was told you can adjust the controls like mentioned above but I couldn't figure out how to get the cover off. I was also told that you don't want to over tighten the friction discs. If you do it may be hard to move into and out of neutral forward and reverse easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep, the FORUM comes through again! I think I just need a smidge of extra friction to keep my throttles from creeping....and Patrick, yeah, I thought I'd have a look for another adjustment to balance the throttles closer together, and look at the engine end as well as at the binnacle/cover.