Thread: "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee

Default "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee

I just picked up a copy of "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Lee as you would guess is the owner and designer of the Lee reloading equipment company Lee Engineering. I'd seen this manual advertised but never seen one until I picked up a copy at the gun show this weekend. The copy I got is the first edition but I'd guess things hadn't changed much except for some of the powders.

It makes for some pretty interesting reading especially on some of the topics like the effect of crimping on accuracy etc. I also note the book data on the molds that Lee makes like the 315 gr .44 bullet; I haven't found this data in any othe manuals. I'm still reading through so I'm sure I'll find some other intersting stuff.

Anyone else every use this manual or even see a copy before? if so - what are your thoughts and impressions?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I used to but lost my copy when my house in Arizona burned down and havenít seen one to grab. Had I spotted that at the show Iíd have it, good book to have around.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I never examined one closely.

Does it have Data using his Dipper Set, and if so, the OLD set or the NEW?

Thanks
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have one and I like it mostly because most of the data is straight from many of the other loading manuals with highest velocities listed first. It's nice to a compilation of data from many sources all in one book. What I don't like is that it usually doesn't give barrel length or gun type the data was derived from. Also Lee's take on loading equiptment is interesting. I don't recall it giving data from dippers but my memory isn't all that great.

Default dip..

Smitty-

Worth looking at if you don't have one. It reminds me in some ways of the old Herter's stuff where everything was a "perfect" this or "perfect" that designed by experts. My $5 manual is a 1996 1st edition, I believe they are up to the 3rd edition now - Midways and others have it.

The book doesn't say if the dippers are old or new - it just lists them by numbers like 1.6 which is the closest volumn in cc's to the load listed which for my example is 1.69. Just below that they list a load at a volumn of 1.59 but don't list the 1.6 dippers for it - they show "NA".

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I never examined one closely.

Does it have Data using his Dipper Set, and if so, the OLD set or the NEW?

Thanks
    SOTN
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I don't know what edition mine is but I got it on a special deal with the Lee hand press for $19.95.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I just picked up a copy of "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Lee as you would guess is the owner and designer of the Lee reloading equipment company Lee Engineering. I'd seen this manual advertised but never seen one until I picked up a copy at the gun show this weekend. The copy I got is the first edition but I'd guess things hadn't changed much except for some of the powders.

It makes for some pretty interesting reading especially on some of the topics like the effect of crimping on accuracy etc. I also note the book data on the molds that Lee makes like the 315 gr .44 bullet; I haven't found this data in any othe manuals. I'm still reading through so I'm sure I'll find some other intersting stuff.

Anyone else every use this manual or even see a copy before? if so - what are your thoughts and impressions?
    Being the first edition I wonder how old it is? I have a couple old manuals.....one even back to the sixtys. A few of us were discussing how the max loads have changed even with the same powders. Now-a-days they seem to be a bit lower than back then. We were wondering if it's because of the vast amount of lawyers these days........lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have a #1 and a #3 Speer manuals. They show loads that cannot be put in cases because there isn't enough room. I have anothe manual that shows a load of 4895 for the 350Rem that will pust the bullet back out if you even get the bullet in without munching the case. I guy should start quite low if using old manuals. I am thinking the powders have changed over the years but thats just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I have a #1 and a #3 Speer manuals. They show loads that cannot be put in cases because there isn't enough room. I have anothe manual that shows a load of 4895 for the 350Rem that will pust the bullet back out if you even get the bullet in without munching the case. I guy should start quite low if using old manuals. I am thinking the powders have changed over the years but thats just a guess.
    I have a manual published in 2001 which gives starting loads that locked up the bolt of my model 70...

Moral: Don't trust everything you read. And if your one of those people who assumes that all loading manual data is all excessively conservative, well, I've got a bridge to sell ya.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Even some of the new manuals aren't very conservative. Always, ALWAYS, and again ALWAYS start low and work up. I don't know where Lee got most of their data but I don't think they did much their selves.

They claim to have gotten it from the powder manufacturers and arranged the data in a more useable format. Some of the data for their cast bullets I haven't found in any other manual however. Two example I noted are for the 315 gr .429 and 320 gr. .452 bullets cast from Lee molds. I've got to get the latest copy and see what they show with these bullets and other powders, and for the 440 gr. 500 S&W bullets from their mold.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Even some of the new manuals aren't very conservative. Always, ALWAYS, and again ALWAYS start low and work up. I don't know where Lee got most of their data but I don't think they did much their selves.

I've got maybe the 2nd edition. It has a lot of good stuff in it, but if I am not familiar with a load or powder, I always cross check it with another manual. I've got maybe 15 different books from the early 50's, on up. Some don't differenciate between lead and jacketed bullets, and others just state the powder # and not the brand such as 4350, not IMR4350, or H 4350. You need to be really careful with that old data! I believe modern powders are generally a little hotter than they used to be.{primers also} I've found some loads that are way hotter, and some that are way lighter than data from recent manuals. I'm real careful if I can"t find a load from 2 different, reliable, sources.

I have used mostly internet recipes from the proprietary sites of the various powder producers such as RamShot and Alliant. In addition, I have The Reloader's Bible, by Don Geary and I use Hogdon's annual reloading manual which covers IMR, Hogdon and Varget. I start out with the minimal load and work to the middle ground for most loads. So far, so good.

I miss the Herter's catalog. (Some) Powders have changed over the years. Some of those charges might have been put in the case using a drop tube. I have some surplus '06 powder that has 308 data and even the ball powder won't fit in my cases like they claim. Don't know how they filled their cases...extra thin walls??

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Smitty-

Worth looking at if you don't have one. It reminds me in some ways of the old Herter's stuff where everything was a "perfect" this or "perfect" that designed by experts. My $5 manual is a 1996 1st edition, I believe they are up to the 3rd edition now - Midways and others have it.

The book doesn't say if the dippers are old or new - it just lists them by numbers like 1.6 which is the closest volumn in cc's to the load listed which for my example is 1.69. Just below that they list a load at a volumn of 1.59 but don't list the 1.6 dippers for it - they show "NA".
    Those numbers, in CCs, indicate the NEW dipper set. The OLD set has red dippers with 3 digit mumbers. I have a set of both.

I remember Herters catalogs and the different grades of products like,,,,,,,,,
    Guide Association Model C Perfect,
    Guide Association Model B Perfect,
    Guide Association Model A Perfect.

And, other marketing ploys. It was said, that if all the B$ was taken out the catalog, it would have been 1/4 the size, and I believe it. That said, his products were pretty good quality, from what I heard.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.