Thread: Wanting to buy a raft

Default Wanting to buy a raft

I'm looking into buying raft to float and fish the local fairbanks area. My goal is to get my 5 year old out of the house and into the outdoors. Although this raft would mainly be used locally, I could decide to use with family around the anchorage are in the future. The problem is that I can't really afford to spend much more than 1500.00. And let me tell you... 1500.00 doesn't seem to go as for as I expected. I thought we were in a recession? I have been seeing an add in Craigslist for for a Saturn raft for something like 2150.00, but I would prefer to buy locally. Does anyone know where I could find a smoking deal on a great raft? Or should I just wait for the outdoor shows and try to save a little more money for the purchase. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Really your just going to have to fill the envelope with a bit more green I think. Even an older 13 ft otter will still bring more than $2,000. 1 new pr of Sawyer oars could be $700.00+. That"s almost 1/2 your budget right there.
    You could get into one of those little 2 man cats I see on Craigs ever so often, but really think for a small child a round boat with a floor would be best.
    Raft and raft stuff is just expensive and buy cheap at first saves nothing down the line. Sorry but hope to see you on the water soon!

Thank you for the response. I have the money set aside for the oars. So the 1500.00 was what I have saved for the actual raft. Maybe I'm looking at this backwars and should buy the raft, then buy the oars. I thought that 1500.00 would buy me a great upper mid priced raft. I am quickly learning that buying a raft is probably going to cost me more than a decent used car. If that's what it cost, so be it. It's time to get my little girl out of the house and into the great outdoors.

You get what you pay for- Lots of good rafts around. SATARN makes a good mid-range raft- ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION, in Anch Is a dealer. You can look around for a used one-- But wait until you can afford a decent one before you put a child in one. My girls are 31 and 28 now and I did keep them out of sub-standard inflatables, worked well and they are now very good boaters. Also do not buy oars until you get the frame size-- Again just my thoughts.
    Goo

Looks like I better officiate a few more hockey games and open my wallet a little more. My families safety is not something I play with. We may not need a topmof the line raft, but I need something that will allow me to concentrate on other things - memories. Quiet honestly I knew what I wanted to spend was a little low, but I was hoping it wasn't. No worries thoug. I have the money. It's just parting with it that's hard. Lol

Have you considered an IK instead of a raft? You could get a new Aire Lynx II for that kind of money, and it would be almost as stable as a raft, plus easier for a single adult to carry, set up, etc. They weigh in the low 40s including seats. You don't sit as high as in a raft but that shouldn't matter too much. I probably wouldn't take a 5-y.o. in anything above Class II, though -- she or he will get water in the face.

The other possibility is to share a raft with others, since you probably won't be using it every weekend.

Trust me an IK is a much different , and by far less stable craft than a raft!! Get one sideways on a decent wave and you will be swimming- Have worked on SOTAR's design for over 25 years and run class I-IV in them. Think you should do some renting and buy yourself a dry suite!!
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    I'm looking into buying raft to float and fish the local fairbanks area. My goal is to get my 5 year old out of the house and into the outdoors. Although this raft would mainly be used locally, I could decide to use with family around the anchorage are in the future. The problem is that I can't really afford to spend much more than 1500.00. And let me tell you... 1500.00 doesn't seem to go as for as I expected. I thought we were in a recession? I have been seeing an add in Craigslist for for a Saturn raft for something like 2150.00, but I would prefer to buy locally. Does anyone know where I could find a smoking deal on a great raft? Or should I just wait for the outdoor shows and try to save a little more money for the purchase. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    You said you wanted to buy locally, but you mentioned both Anchorage and Fairbanks in your post. There are commercial outfits in both places; which area are you talking about?

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Sallenthornton - Since my last post seem to break forum rules which I appologize for feel free to PM me via this format. I will assist if you so choose concerning options. I am not an official boat dealer just a rafting fan who happens to be in your area you rents boats. Being that I know most if not all the Hockey Officials in Fairbanks I am sure we know each other.

Regards

RMM
    BMR

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Keep an eye on craigslist (and the swap and sell here on the forum) as spring rolls around. Sometimes those old, solid boats (avon, etc.) show up cheap if you jump on them quick. Here's an achilles for $2400: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3694466969.html
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I appreciate everyone's response. After careful consideration, I am going to wait until after the outdoor show here in Fairbanks to decide. That will give me a little more time to save some funds and research the differant types of rafts. Ever since I have decided to purchase a raft, I've been in information overload. Lots of things to consider.

BlueMoose: Have you been a hockey official? There aren't that many of us officials ere in Fairbanks, but I have great time doing it. Besides... It pays well!

Yea Sir I was but could not coach and ref plus do what I do so know I just coach U 16's Arctic Lions with Proff. Yes Keith, Chris, Doug, Rick, Buck, Jason, John and Skip are all past associates and still have a great working gig with all of them. Yep I am getting old. C ya in the Spring normally AR&K, 6th Ave outfitters, Jim and Geaux are all there so you should have options to chat about.

Best wishes
    BMR