Thread: Dall with a bow??

Default Dall with a bow??

Saw a bunch well within the corridor north of the pass last year. So what does everyone think, crazy idea or doable??

Totally doable, just lower odds of success. Plenty of people have arrowed sheep, though, so it most certainly can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock7 View Post
    Saw a bunch well within the corridor north of the pass last year. So what does everyone think, crazy idea or doable??
    In the corridor north of the pass. Would you by chance be referring to the band of sheep on slide mountain? I have tried them twice and I just haven't been able to close the deal. They seem to be smarter than normal to me, but admittedly I am a mediocre stalker at best.

It is certainly doable as I know several guys who have arrowed sheep, but I have not met anyone who has successfully hunted those slide mountain sheep. Good luck and be sure to post pics if you close the deal!

Safari,
    They sure are. I have heard of guys bringing along an overwhite coat, even in the summer and fall to wear.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...SAGES=96&FF=12

Grazak's 2012 Brooks range longbow sheep in the above link. It's very possible, but maybe not one of the roadside educated sheep.

I'm sure it's doable but finding a legal ram is going to be the tough part. We looked at some last year on Slope mountain real close and one ram was a long way from being legal. The other two I don't think ever will be based on the way they were growing.

Saw quite a few in further south though. We watched a 3/4 curl ram feed among some rocks. Would have been a great stalk as he kept his head buried and didn't move. Seems like there's lots of younger rams but never saw a legal one

I am thinking about starting south of the pass then hiking north from the shelf. I plan on trying to get in far enough in to get away from the road and the shenanigans that normally happen around it. My only concern is how wide and fast the rivers are going to be.
    Anyone in the Fairbanks area know a good place to get topo’smade? I hear the college is one place to go.

Yeah, the map store is on West Ridge in the Geophysical building with all the flags.

sent from my igloo

Of course it is a great idea! Ask Yukoner Dan Reynolds........ His 174 0/8 Dalls Ram was just accepted as the new Pope and Young world record a couple weeks ago, unseating Tony Russ' ram by 3 inches. It was taken on 03 August 2012 and I did the final on it 63 days later. I'm not sure if P&Y has it up on their website yet, but Boone and Crockett has a picture of it on the hill in its "August 2012" Trophy Watch section on their website. Not sure how to post a pic or I'd put it here for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisky Creek View Post
    Of course it is a great idea! Ask Yukoner Dan Reynolds........ His 174 0/8 Dalls Ram was just accepted as the new Pope and Young world record a couple weeks ago, unseating Tony Russ' ram by 3 inches. It was taken on 03 August 2012 and I did the final on it 63 days later. I'm not sure if P&Y has it up on their website yet, but Boone and Crockett has a picture of it on the hill in its "August 2012" Trophy Watch section on their website. Not sure how to post a pic or I'd put it here for you.
    Reynolds[1].jpg

Apparently the good ole days are now!!