Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Stats for Hewes Ocean Pro

Default Yamaha Stats for Hewes Ocean Pro

For anyone interested. I know there is always a lot of discussion around statistics.

2006 Hewes 22' Searunner Ocean Pro Extended Transom.

Hull length 24' 3"
    Yamaha F150 inline 4 - Yamaha 15M 15 1/4 Dia. X 15 Pitch Prop
    Yamaha 8HP High Thrust kicker.
    85 Gallons of Fuel
    3 Adults
    Gear, Food, Bait for the day
    Flat calm Seas
    2 Weekends of Stats

Here it is!

5700 RPM WOT - 15.4 - 16 GPH - 37.4 - 38.1 MPH = Avg 2.40 MPG
    5400 RPM - 12.6 - 12.9 GPH - 35.0 - 35.7 MPH = Avg 2.76 MPG
    5200 RPM - 11.5 - 11.8 GPH - 33.4 - 34.0 MPH = Avg 2.88 MPG
    5000 RPM - 9.9 - 10.1 GPH - 31.4 - 32.5 MPH = Avg 3.20 MPG
    4800 RPM - 9.1 - 9.2 GPH - 30.4 - 30.6 MPH = Avg 3.32 MPG
    4500 RPM - 8.2 - 8.4 GPH - 28.0 - 28.4 MPH = Avg 3.39 MPG

On calm flat seas very comfortable and enjoyable ride between 4800 and 5000 RPMs.

Cheers!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks for the stats
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Smile Cruise

Dman,

Is 4500 rpms about where you feel comfortable cruising? I have the F115 on the 22ET SeaRunner HT and 4400 rpms sounds and feels about right for me. I was out two weekend ago on PWS with three people, hunting/camping gear with flat water and @4400 rpms we were getting around 23/24 mph. At WOT we were running 30-32mph. Running the 13 1/4 with X 16 prop.

Sold my previous boat with twin Hondas and still trying to get comfortable with the new rig.

d

Smile Cruise

Dman,

Is 4500 rpms about where you feel comfortable cruising? I have the F115 on the 22ET SeaRunner HT and 4400 rpms sounds and feels about right for me. I was out two weekend ago on PWS with three people, hunting/camping gear with flat water and @4400 rpms we were getting around 23/24 mph. At WOT we were running 30-32mph. Running the 13 1/4 with X 16 prop.

Sold my previous boat with twin Hondas and still trying to get comfortable with the new rig.

d

If you're looking for best mileage, most of the 4 strokes have their sweat spot around 4000-4100 rpm. Then again if you can get an extra hour or so of fishing by running WOT, it might be worth the extra fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by TriIron View Post
    Dman,

d
    TriIron,

I have been running around 4800 - 5000 RPM. The engine drops in sound and feels good in that range. If I am site seeing or scouting I run between 4200 - 4500 RPMs. I get bored at that speed though if I am headed out fishing and just want to be there. I have been able to disipline myself to not run faster than 30 - 32 when the water is flat and perfect, any faster it would be hard to dodge logs. Now that is on perfect water! On anything but perfect I am really driving the boat to the conditions, i.e. If I can run comfortable at 4700 that is where I run.

I guess for me at the end of the day running to Montague from Whittier at 32MPH when that water is perfect vs. 24MPH for max fuel econ is a differece in two hours of fishing time. An extra hour there and an extra hour back and it only saved me maybe 10 gallons of gas. I like to get to the fishing grounds as fast as makes since from a safetly standpoint. I have had my days of running at 16MPH bouncing and bobbing to get to where I was going.

Default Dumb Question

DMan,

Maybe this is a dumb question but given that WOT is around 5400rpm for this rig and I realize that WOT is dependent on the boat, load, prop and probably the phase of the moon. But my question has to do with cruising speed-which for me is what rpm I run the boat at most of the time-assuming sea conditions allow. Is running at a constant 4400 rpms-which is about 1,000 rpms below WOT is this O.K.? I really am not concerned if the GPH goes down a bit between 4400 and 4000 since after the expense of just getting the boat to the ramp that isn't even in the equation. My concern is about running the motor too hard for long periods of time. Thoughts?

DMan,

Maybe this is a dumb question but given that WOT is around 5400rpm for this rig and I realize that WOT is dependent on the boat, load, prop and probably the phase of the moon. But my question has to do with cruising speed-which for me is what rpm I run the boat at most of the time-assuming sea conditions allow. Is running at a constant 4400 rpms-which is about 1,000 rpms below WOT is this O.K.? I really am not concerned if the GPH goes down a bit between 4400 and 4000 since after the expense of just getting the boat to the ramp that isn't even in the equation. My concern is about running the motor too hard for long periods of time. Thoughts?
    Are you completely trimmed out at 5400 RPM? Yamaha wants WOT to be between 5500 and 6000 RPM. The way it works is if you can hit between 5500 and 6000 RPM at WOT fully trimmed out then you know that your prop is not lugging your motor in any way. If your WOT is in the right range you are supposed to be able to run the boat at any RPM because the prop is sized right for the motor and boat. I called Yamaha and asked them and they told me they really like to see a minimum of 5600 RPM at WOT. Initially I was only hitting 5500 fully trimmed according to my trim gauge. Realized one day the gauge was adjusted wrong and I still had some trim left.

This is what I would suggest. nice calm flat day get to full throttle and then start triming your motor up, make sure your trim tabs are up and not affecting anything. your motor will start to sound a little louder as RPM's come up. Trim your motor a little at a time every 10 seconds or so until you cavitate. Once your motor cavitates back off not to do any damage. The point right before cavitation is where your full trim at WOT is and that is where you gauge the RPM's. As long as you are over 5500/5600 RPM at WOT you are good to run at any RPM including WOT. Take note that full trim at 5500 RPM and at 4500 RPM will probably be a little different. Most people don't like to run WOT but I have a friend that has always ran his Yamaha's at WOT. Yamaha lists the operating range on their site as 5000 - 6000 RPM's but Yamaha told me they still want to see at least 5600 RPM WOT. If you can't hit that at WOT then you might need to adjust prop size. I know I am rambling a bit so if it doesn't make since let me know and I will clearify.

D

Default Thanks

DMan,

No rambling that I can see ... I've actually followed your directions before but I'll redo and see what WOT reads again this weekend. One more question (I promise this is the last one). This is my first boat with trim tabs. They are great but I'm still not exactly sure how I coordiante the trim tabs with the motor trim... What I have been doing is using the motor trim to get out of the hole and up on plane and then adjust the trim tabs to find the "sweet spot". Is that SOP or is there another way?

dave

DMan,

No rambling that I can see ... I've actually followed your directions before but I'll redo and see what WOT reads again this weekend. One more question (I promise this is the last one). This is my first boat with trim tabs. They are great but I'm still not exactly sure how I coordiante the trim tabs with the motor trim... What I have been doing is using the motor trim to get out of the hole and up on plane and then adjust the trim tabs to find the "sweet spot". Is that SOP or is there another way?

dave
    That is pretty much how I do it. I only use the trim tabs to fix the lean when the weight is a little off left to right or vise versa. So I am basically only using one at a time. You can use the tabs to put the bow down but I have never been in a situation where I needed to put the bow down any more than the motor would do it.

Maybe someone else has more insight.......

Can't comment on the trim tabs. As far as propping your boat, when loaded as lightly as possible you should be able to spin right at the redline of the motor. Thus if your motor is supposed to redline at 6000 rpm, your goal should be to be able to hit that or within a few hundred rpm with whatever the lightest load you plan to run, and don't forget that means a fuel tank 1/3 full. Thus when you load up, your peak rpm drops, but you're not bogging the motor. Then again, if your loaded so heavily that WOT is in the low 5000's, I'd consider propping down for those uses.

You don't want so little pitch you over-rev the engine, neither do you want so much that the engine is bogged down. Having a spare prop is always a great idea, so if you find your prop has a bit too much pitch for your typical trips, commit it to spare duty and get another prop with less pitch. I'd say if you're only hitting 5400 at WOT, consider putting a 13 1/4 X 15 on it.

O/B's are designed to be run WOT for extended periods of time. Considering water conditions seldom let us run that fast, I'd have little concern taking advantage of those times you can open it up and get some more time fishing. They'll be more than enough times you have to throttle down.

Default with my boat trimmed up

good is where the boat starts to porpoise up and down freely. was told this, and that is how my boat acts. When it starts to rise up and down i back down about a bar on the gage and that is trimmed just right. My boat likes 5100 rpms. can hit 5400 5500 rpms but only gain a few miles an hour. Running 13 5/8 by 15 pitch on yamaha T-50's. I was also told to keep four stroke rpms over 4k rpms. other wise damages the valves and such. Oh and the other thing to watch for if you think your prop might be sized wrong or you have rpms close to or just over 6k rpms, is you will see paint coming off your blades and little pits forming there. This happend to me once my motors were broke in. They say it is like your props are boiling the water. the air bubbles is what causes it. went from 13 pitch to 15 and solved that problem plus gained about 5 miles an hour at cruising speed. just some things to watch for. Good info Dman.

Default An Applause is in order here fellas!

I have been following this forum for about a year now and this discussion is the best dang discussion i have seen. It is chock full of GREAT information and is presented in a non "shove it down your throat manner"...I am sorry for getting off topic here...but i just get sick and tored of the whining and bashing. GOOD JOB guys!

Oh yeah...and by the way...I use trim tabs to leve the boat for load balance from side to side, such as more people on one side of the boat than the other (i small level in the dash is handy).

Default Thanks All

I've been boating all my life but like I said trim tabs are a new addition to my boat and I appreciate the insight into thier use. Also feel a lot more comfortable with the way I'm running my Yami-although I will run a few tests this weekend based on your advice. My son and I will be out of Whittier this weekend (looking for a blackie) starting tomorrow afternoon on our boat the Willy D. SeaRunner HT22ET. Maybe I'll see you out there DMan. Anyway stay safe and thanks again.

dave

I've been boating all my life but like I said trim tabs are a new addition to my boat and I appreciate the insight into thier use. Also feel a lot more comfortable with the way I'm running my Yami-although I will run a few tests this weekend based on your advice. My son and I will be out of Whittier this weekend (looking for a blackie) starting tomorrow afternoon on our boat the Willy D. SeaRunner HT22ET. Maybe I'll see you out there DMan. Anyway stay safe and thanks again.

dave
    I'll be at the ramp sometime tomorrow mid day launching as well. Say hey if you see me! Boat name "Kelli Dawn", still need to put it on the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I was also told to keep four stroke rpms over 4k rpms. other wise damages the valves and such.
    AKrstabout, how does this work when trolling with a twin motor setup? It's not unusual to troll 6 to 8 to 10 or more hours on a single motor in a single day, depending on the fishing. I've heard that if you alternate the hours you put on your motors you'll lessen the impact of trolling, but that might be more a case of trying to keep the motors maintenance cycles close.

On large inboard diesels, we used to install trolling valves to allow the engines to run at higher rpms, e.g. high temps to prevent wet stacking and other problems associated with running diesels at low rpms. However, the outboards are a different breed . . .

My new boat will be my first experience with 4-stroke outboards, and while similar to my old two strokes, they're also a little different. I have a lot to learn on these babies . . .

Best,

SH

The problem with extended trolling is the engine doesn't get up to temerature, especially with our cold water. Some engines will not get proper ring sealing and fuel will make it's way by piston rings and into the oil thus dilluting it.

Keep an eye on your oil level, and if you are "making oil" ie come back with more than you left with, then this is what's happening. It's also an excellent idea to change oil more frequently with this sort of opperation.

If you're going to be spending extended periods trolling, you're really better off with small dedicated kicker motor. You'll save the hours on the main motor(s) and all motors will be opperating in their best range.

Default Sierra Hotel

I hardly troll. I let the motors Idle while checking shrimp pots just to make sure the batteries are happy. Never notice gaining oil or my oil looking funny. I have trolled some but never very long as we cought our fish very fast. Like Paul H said just get a kicker just for that. Main thing I was talking about is just running for hours trying to save gas at 4k or 4100 rpms.

sometimes if we are trolling for bears i guess you would say I do alternate motors just keep hours equall for maintenance purposes.

I can't seem to get my boat up above 4500 rpm because it goes to fast, things are happening fast!!! I am pretty sure I can hit the upper RPM's though. I cruise at 3400 rpm @ 32 MPH. I got it up to 4200 rpm or so and was going 41 mph. Previous owner said he had it up to 54 mph at WOT.

Am I hurting my 2-stroke cruising at such a slow rpm?

21 Hewescraft Searunner Soft-top
    150hp Yamaha ProV-max TRP

Default freeze sounds like you must

have a prop with a big pitch. Not sure about hurting your motor because it is probably straining pretty hard to get going.

Does your boat take forever to get on step? Mine jumps up pretty good but not real quick like it used to with the smaller pitch. I like the extra speed with the 15 pitch but it still has enough power to fight the seas if need be, pretty responsive still. I could go up one more pitch size but am afraid of losing throtle response. Plus then a good running rpm would be WOT for me. I like the choice of having some options when out there. I would suggest going down in pitch, but make your own decision and talk to dewies about it. Plus i don't see the need for such speed on the salt water. Plus with the lower pitch you should be able to haul more weight, people and dead bears more easily and still get throttle response. Look at your prop and let us know on here what you are running.

Again I was told you lose 200-300 rpms per inch in pitch gained. Yamaha props go up in size every 2 inches. I used be able to hit 6100 wot. now about 5500 on a good day wot. run at 5100 most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast