Thread: Paxon Lodge

Default Paxon Lodge

My plan is head up on Tuesday and fill my caribou tag and head back to Valdez. Just in case the caribou have not been informed of the plan and I have to wait overnight for then to get the message that one is going on a trip south, anyone know what he charges for a room up there?

Thanks.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Personally, after staying at Paxson lodge a few years ago and more recently at Water's Edge Cottages up by Summit Lake, I'll never stay at Paxson Lodge again.

http://www.alaska-highway.org/delta/...mmodations.htm

I may be up there around that same time frame, Dave. I haven't locked in dates yet, but will let you know if we'll be around to share intel and possibly a meal.

Sounds good I have a green Ford F-250 and a yella Scandic 440 LT and a black sled. Old mans machine but with that 1/4" UMLV under the chassis I can drive over 5" trees if need be. And I have had too.

I sleep in my truck when near Paxson Lodge.

$100 per night, we stay the night up there when ice fishing for lakers.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I've stayed there before...would rather sleep under a tree or in my truck than do that again. Also...don't eat at the restaurant. I won't go into details here in case anyone has eaten recently.

I would recommend running south about 15-20 miles and staying at Meiers Lake Lodge (or something like that). Clean rooms and pretty good food. No idea what the room costs per night. It's been about 5-6 years since I stayed there last.

Had some friends just stay at Paxson Lodge and they would never stay there again. I think they heard some banjo's during the night. I told them when you hear they banjo's you better run so you don't have to squeal like a pig!

Last time I passed Meiers Lake lodge they were closed with no sign of opening anytime soon. Not sure if that was a permanent situation or not but don't plan on staying there. Last time I stopped there two years ago and had lunch with my hunting partner the food was really good and the gentleman was very knowledgeable about the caribou and the "thin ice spots" out on the lake. I hate to see all these places go under but seems like these days the businesses that put the customer first seem to go under first. It's a shame.
    The temps are pretty mild this time of year I would just sleep in the truck.
    Steve

I was up there this past weekend. My wife and I took the sleds out to Maclaren River Lodge and spent Friday night. We came home on Saturday. It was getting pretty busy up there. Maclaren was booked solid for the week, but if you want to stay there they may have a cancellation. This week is spring break so that area is going to be busy all week.

Meyers lake lodge was open when I drove by. I was told that the new lodge owners closed for a few months to get away but I see that they are now open again. As for staying at Paxson, I do not want to slander anyone but I am agreeing with the rest of everyone so far. It definitely leaves something to be desired. You can get a nice room in the duplex at Maclaren for $150 and you can sleep 5 people comfortably. It has running hot water, satellite TV and the food at Maclaren is awesome. I have never been treated badly. A normal 2 person room only runs $60.

There are still about 300 caribou in Hungry Hollow which is between 8 and 10 mile. I saw about 10 gut piles on Saturday evening that weren't there on Friday so they are being pressured pretty hard, but they were all still just standing by the road. Be careful though. Thats the one area that has been wind blown really badly.

We weren't caribou hunting but I was able to call in two more fox and I spotted and shot one more coyote. It was a good weekend.

Still waiting for the snowmachine to get fixed. In the mean time I cut a piece of plywood to span across the back seats, put in 2 sleeping pads and my catalytic heater just in case. I have a -60 sleeping bag, food for 3 days, Jetboil, water and am all set to head up. Even checked the .308 today. +2 at 100 yards at 12 o'clock high. Should be good to go.

Well snowgo won't be fixed until Thursday. And I have to leave for Anchorage on Friday afernoon. Looks like next week is going to be hunting time.

Sorry to hear that, Dave. Our departure has been postponed a bit - looks like we'll be going out for the day on Thursday. I'm not sure if we'll be heading for Paxson or staying closer to home with a Eureka trip yet, but it looks like Thursday is the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Dave. Our departure has been postponed a bit - looks like we'll be going out for the day on Thursday. I'm not sure if we'll be heading for Paxson or staying closer to home with a Eureka trip yet, but it looks like Thursday is the day.
    I had originally planned a solo hunt for Wed PM - Sat PM at Eureka. There is a cold front moving in, temps are supposed to be -25F with wind chills to -40F. :-( Stay warm Brian. Are you taking snowmobiles, or snowshoes?

Whoa...if that forecast holds, I'm not sure I'm taking anything beyond my front door! The tag is my father's, so it'll ultimately be his call...but I'm not sure we're fired up about -25 plus wind. Thanks for the heads up.

Those were the lows, highs were up to single digits negative, one day above zero with wind chills. I drove through there today (North Pole to Glennallen to Wasilla), it was about 4F and just a little windy. I saw about 20-30 caribou North of Paxson at MP 249 (27 miles too far north) with at least one bull. Two cows still had antlers. Other than that, no sightings. I will be checking the weather again. I use Wunderground and the Accuweather app on my phone as well as the NWS reports.

I'm here at the lodge to say its nice is wrong but just take it for what it is and enjoy it cause it is ghetto fabulous! That and sleds have been coming by most of the day hauling caribou

I too would recommend the cabins on Summit Lake. My wife and I took a weekend vacation there a couple years ago; mid 40's below in November, great ice conditions; managed to catch a few lakers, bag some ptarmigan, and enjoy a nice, warm, private cabin. It was not a modern cabin; looked very vintage 70's, but very neat, comfortable, and WARM! Owner served on the local Advisory Committee, so we had some good game and fish conversations. He also has a free video library, in case weather is too lousy for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    I'm here at the lodge to say its nice is wrong but just take it for what it is and enjoy it cause it is ghetto fabulous! That and sleds have been coming by most of the day hauling caribou
    Location, Location , location....and the beer is cold at the end of the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I've stayed there before...would rather sleep under a tree or in my truck than do that again. Also...don't eat at the restaurant. I won't go into details here in case anyone has eaten recently.
    Accurate assessment!

Ran me $90/night fall '11 to stay one night.