Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Calibers you can find easily in AK

Default Common Calibers you can find easily in AK

So right now I am in the lower 48.
    Have 2 long action savages and the following barrels..

270, 260, 338-06.
    Plan on buying a 375 Ruger barrel.
    Had one a while back and like a moron I sold it. Nice round.

So can you find 338-06 ammo and 375 Ruger ammo fairly easy or would say 338 win mag be a better choice for 338.

I am sure 375 H+H is very common but I dont have the long action.

How about 7mm rem mag ??

I can usually snag common barrels for about $60 or so.

I hand load but am thinking more like just being able to run out and pick up a box.

For pistol 460V, 45 casull, 460 Rowland ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    So right now I am in the lower 48.
    Have 2 long action savages and the following barrels..

270, 260, 338-06.
    Plan on buying a 375 Ruger barrel.
    Had one a while back and like a moron I sold it. Nice round.

So can you find 338-06 ammo and 375 Ruger ammo fairly easy or would say 338 win mag be a better choice for 338.

I am sure 375 H+H is very common but I dont have the long action.

How about 7mm rem mag ??

I can usually snag common barrels for about $60 or so.

I hand load but am thinking more like just being able to run out and pick up a box.

For pistol 460V, 45 casull, 460 Rowland ??

Thanks
    IME, when on the road system ammo is normally available (the last few months have not been normal anywhere) and not too difficult to find for most cartridges. When you venture into bush AK then the variety drops dramatically...................
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Oddly enough, I've had more trouble finding unusual ammo in the L48 than in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. I've got a .375 Ruger and several of the others you mention. Once you venture off the road then the selection gets perilously thin- if you're headed to the boonies then bring your own and anything you find is just a bonus. Don't count on finding anything in the Bush.

Road system AK has some pretty decent gun shops by any measure.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Oddly enough, I've had more trouble finding unusual ammo in the L48 than in either Fairbanks or Anchorage. I've got a .375 Ruger and several of the others you mention. Once you venture off the road then the selection gets perilously thin- if you're headed to the boonies then bring your own and anything you find is just a bonus. Don't count on finding anything in the Bush.

Road system AK has some pretty decent gun shops by any measure.
    Agreed, I've seen calibers in stock around here that I had never even heard of before I moved. You should have seen the look on my face the first time I saw a box of .45 Win mag.

Of everything you list 460 S&W will be the most limited but none of it is normally hard to find, hard to find a your bullet or brand sometimes but usually something for all those on the rack around here.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm amazed both that you didn't list .30-06 and that no one yet mentioned it. By far more common than any of the others. After that 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. You already have .338-06 so I wouldn't consider it a priority but .338 Win Mag will be more available. That said .338-06 and .375 Ruger are normally available in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Mat-Su and Kenai/Soldotna.

You can find ammo for all those calibers someplace I imagine, just not right now. I am confused by your post. Are you asking what to rebarrel to or what calibers are on the shelf for ammo?

Seems to me if you are going to all the hassle to put together a gun, you may as well make it accurate and that usually means handloading. You take your ammo with you from home every time you go someplace, might as well roll your own then. It is tough stopping at the store on the way out of town to get a couple boxes of you favorite ammo. Good chance there won't be what you want when you want it, like in the fall for hunting season. Or, when some politicians opens their yappers about gun control and people panic. Your best bet is to find what your gun shoots and buy/make a bunch of it. Also, no mail order ammo up here. Not practically anyways. Only time you should plan on buying ammo in the bush is when you plan on losing the stuff you brought from home. If that happens you are likely all screwed up anyways, so ammo is the least of your worries.

I hunt with a 300H&H or a 350Rem Mag neither of which are popular anywhere let alone bush Ak. To me loosing my ammo is the same as loosing my gun, neither one is likely to happen. I don't even have any factory ammo for either nor do I plan on buying any. You reload so why would you even care what's on the shelf? Why would you want to subject your self to inferior ammo? Other than rimfire, which isn't availabe either, I haven't bought factory ammo in more years than I can remember. I load 454 Casull for about $.20 per round so why would I want to run out and buy it at $1.50/$2 per round. Just stock up on components for the rounds you want to shoot and never look back.

Mark my words.... someday the 300 WSM will replace the 30-06
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Mark my words.... someday the 300 WSM will replace the 30-06
    I can hear the howling start now.....

....and I totally agree with you.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

None of us will live to see it. Of all the shooters I'm around, I don't even know one with a 300wsm. There I started it and I don't even care for the 30/06.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I can hear the howling start now.....

....and I totally agree with you.
    Haha, I heard the howling before I made the post LOL
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    None of us will live to see it. Of all the shooters I'm around, I don't even know one with a 300wsm. There I started it and I don't even care for the 30/06.
    Hey man, don't sweat it. I predict you'll go to the grave in peace... at least about this.

Just havin a little fun folks ... didn't maen to hijack the thread.... carry on
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other and I'll probably go to my grave happily shooting the old time odd balls. But did you see what just happened? I said I don't care for the 30/06 without so much as a whisper of what a wonderful, best ever was round ever invented it is. That worries me some. I expected to be shot down in flames repeatedly by now.

Shelves are getting a little bare around here. Back in 08 after the election all the rifle ammo was sold out at the local SW. But there was a nice big pile of 325wsm All the "popular easy to find" calibers were sold out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Haha, I heard the howling before I made the post LOL
    I have been able to find .300 WSM ammo here in Anchorage quite easily, the .30-06 on the other hand not so much. I tried to buy a used 300 WSM last week, but the guy had already sold it. I have a .270 WSM, and no problem finding ammo for it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    I have been able to find .300 WSM ammo here in Anchorage quite easily, the .30-06 on the other hand not so much. I tried to buy a used 300 WSM last week, but the guy had already sold it. I have a .270 WSM, and no problem finding ammo for it lately.
    Interesting indeed... Haven't checked the ammo shelves here... maybe I should for grins
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Is that a sign that the WSM is falling out of favor, or that owners donít shoot them much/have plenty of ammo? Itís a sign of something but I canít fajigger out just what what. In 08 WSM ammo went as fast as everything else and WAM brass was real hard to come by so that must be saying something or other.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

While we are on the subject of what ammo is on the shelf has anyone got ideas of why folks are buying every 22LR round in existance? I would think it would be one of the last to be banned or thought of as badgun ammo by the libs. Can you imagine how many millions of 22LR rounds flew off the shelves in the last few months and not only off the shelves but from the distributors and the ammo makers as well. We have to be talking of hundreds of millions of rounds just suddenly dissappeared apparently into peoples storage. I understand the run on ARs and AKs but I don't get the 22LR thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    While we are on the subject of what ammo is on the shelf has anyone got ideas of why folks are buying every 22LR round in existance? I would think it would be one of the last to be banned or thought of as badgun ammo by the libs. Can you imagine how many millions of 22LR rounds flew off the shelves in the last few months and not only off the shelves but from the distributors and the ammo makers as well. We have to be talking of hundreds of millions of rounds just suddenly dissappeared apparently into peoples storage. I understand the run on ARs and AKs but I don't get the 22LR thing.
    I've wondered this as well. I'd have to guess that folks have read some survivalist literature that either featured .22LR as some kind of small game subsistence cartridge or a replacement currency or both.

Still not sure how practical that sounds on the "hundreds of millions of rounds" scale, particuarly for folks in big towns...but apparently like in Y2K- scared folks generally take some form of concrete measure regardless of how impractical it is in the long run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast