Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on Hunting Dangerous Game....

Default Your Thoughts on Hunting Dangerous Game....

I say "dangerous game" even though we all know how dangerous a moose can be, but in respect to animals that usually are not killed for food, so as to be deemed as being hunted for sport or trophy. I guess I'm looking for the "ethics" part of hunting an animal that you don't eat.....normally lions, tigers, and bears....

BTW....I know that many safari hunters give the meat to the villagers. Does anybody know if they eat lion meat? I only ask because for quite some time I never knew they ate mt. lion or even lynx meat.

Anyway, because of another "lion" post that got "off track" it was suggested to start another thread. Not long ago I think we touched on this a bit before, but it too may have been an offshoot of the original post.

So here you go......lets hear any and all thoughts about dangerous game hunting, or just hunting animals that normally aren't salvaged for table fare. If you want to call it sport, or trophy, hunting that's fine as well.

Let er' rip...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have no issue with hunting dangerous game or apex predators...if we manage the habitat and the prey animals- then we have no choice but to manage predator populations as well. Ethics is a slippery business but man hunting and killing other high level predators has been occurring since the dawn of the rock.

Some dangerous game are food animals- case in point- the Cape Buffalo. Reportedly one of the most dangerous and tasty animals on the African continent. I don't specifically know about African lions but I've talked to folks who've eaten lynx, brown bear, beaver and mountain lion so I'm not sure African lion is much less palatable than some of that.

I believe we can be a bit overzealous as to how far as that goes, but that's a whole different discussion.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I believe we can be a bit overzealous as to how far as that goes, but that's a whole different discussion.
    No.....ANYTHING that relates is fine by me....

Question Trophy hunting . . .

Since discussions involving ethics/religion are discouraged here, I've posted a thread on the ethics of trophy hunting elsewhere:

http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/f...php?f=5&t=1784

I think if you look at the stats Goat hunting is the most dangerous game. There really aren't a huge number of goat hunters and every year we have at least one fatality. My guess is that it is higher than perhaps any other animal.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Cool

DNRE Reports 14 Hunting Accidents in 2010, Three Fatalities

Agency: Natural Resources
    Feb. 9, 2011
    The 2010 hunting season in Michigan turned out to be the safest on record, with only 14 casualty incidents reported, including three fatalities, according to the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

"Fourteen incidents is an all-time low for Michigan, and hunting continues to be one of the safest outdoor recreation activities to participate in, with a continued drop in incident rates since implementation of mandatory hunter education and mandatory hunter orange," said Sgt. Jon Wood, DNRE's Hunter Education Program supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Since discussions involving ethics/religion are discouraged here, I've posted a thread on the ethics of trophy hunting elsewhere:

http://www.onthenatureofthings.net/f...php?f=5&t=1784

Jeeze.......nobody said anything about religion. It's about hunting, and ethics are a big part of hunting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    DNRE Reports 14 Hunting Accidents in 2010, Three Fatalities

Agency: Natural Resources
    Feb. 9, 2011
    The 2010 hunting season in Michigan turned out to be the safest on record, with only 14 casualty incidents reported, including three fatalities, according to the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

"Fourteen incidents is an all-time low for Michigan, and hunting continues to be one of the safest outdoor recreation activities to participate in, with a continued drop in incident rates since implementation of mandatory hunter education and mandatory hunter orange," said Sgt. Jon Wood, DNRE's Hunter Education Program supervisor.
    And how does this post in any way relate to the original post? If you don't like my thread just don't take part in it rather than take it off track right off the bat....

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I think if you look at the stats Goat hunting is the most dangerous game. There really aren't a huge number of goat hunters and every year we have at least one fatality. My guess is that it is higher than perhaps any other animal.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    I would think that goat hunting is certainly the most dangerous hunt due to the terrain, but it's hard to imagine the goats themselves as particularly dangerous- but I see your point.

The only real "Dangerous Game" we have are bears and as much as I hate to admit it, on the African scale they barely move he needle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Wink Come on in . . the water's fine . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Jeeze.......nobody said anything about religion. It's about hunting, and ethics are a big part of hunting.....

Ethics are moral principles that seek to govern conduct. All the world's great religionsóJudaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, and Islamócontain moral principles that define man's relationship to the lower orders of life. And virtually all the religious traditions with which I'm familiaróRoman Catholic Magisterium, Rabbinic, Protestant, and Islamicóhave much to say on the subject.

Since the "lion hunting" thread degenerated into a near-riot over the ethics of trophy hunting, and since religious discussion is forbidden here, I wanted to give those interested a place to discuss the moral issues surrounding hunting and trophy hunting in particular.

Please feel free to join in over there.

In the meantime, here's an interesting book on the subject. And before anyone dismisses the author as a lefty-tree-hugger, he was a speech writer for George W. Bush: http://www.amazon.com/Dominion-Power.../dp/0312319738

Google the book, read the book's description, and some reviews. It's an important, national conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I say "dangerous game" even though we all know how dangerous a moose can be, but in respect to animals that usually are not killed for food, so as to be deemed as being hunted for sport or trophy. I guess I'm looking for the "ethics" part of hunting an animal that you don't eat.....normally lions, tigers, and bears....

BTW....I know that many safari hunters give the meat to the villagers. Does anybody know if they eat lion meat? I only ask because for quite some time I never knew they ate mt. lion or even lynx meat.

Anyway, because of another "lion" post that got "off track" it was suggested to start another thread. Not long ago I think we touched on this a bit before, but it too may have been an offshoot of the original post.

So here you go......lets hear any and all thoughts about dangerous game hunting, or just hunting animals that normally aren't salvaged for table fare. If you want to call it sport, or trophy, hunting that's fine as well.

Let er' rip...!!!
    Personally, I choose not to hunt an animal unless I intend to eat it or otherwise use it productively for something other than a wall decoration.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have personally hunted or been along on the hunt for African lion 4 times. 3 of those times we were successful in taking a lion. I have eaten parts of all three of those lion and frankly they were excellent flavor but a little bit chewy. The black camp staff and villagers absolutely love lion meat as it is considered big magic to them. None of those three lions went to waste and all was eaten. I have also hunted and eaten mt lion, lynx, caracal, black bear and brown bear. Some of these animals make great table fare and some don't.

i do have a problem with people applying the terms sport hunting or trophy hunting specifically to the hunting of predators. I consider myself a trophy hunter whether I am hunting sheep, moose, lion, Cape buffalo, whitetail, or whatever big game species you want to name. I trophy hunt as a means of adding to the challenge of the hunt by seeking out only the biggest or oldest game animals I can find. Just because I am a trophy hunter does not mean that I leave meat in the field to rot or otherwise break the rules. Whether I shoot a 70 inch trophy moose or a spike this fall (assuming I get one at all), the entire moose will be salvaged as required by law and will be enjoyed throughout the year on my table.

I am a firm believer that it is perfectly okay as a hunter to harvest whatever game a person is legally allowed to hunt. Most species are eaten, but some are not. As an example, I normally do not salvage brown bear meat or wolf meat. The law does not require me to and if the meat smells like it may not eat well then I leave it for the wild animals to eat. They gotta stay alive too and to do that they gotta eat so I may as well leave them a handout instead of them dragging down another moose or caribou.

safari,

I'd like to reply to your post above but cannot do so without getting into discussion of ethics/morals like what drove the other thread to such a fever pitch of reaction.

If you'd care to post your reply over on the other forum, I'd be pleased to engage you there.

John

I also have an issue with the application of the labels "sport" and "trophy" hunting.

"Sport hunting" was a term from the ye olde days when it was used to differentiate the activity of hunting for one's food or pleasure from "market hunting"- which was hunting primarily for economic profit. Market hunting was largely regulated out of existence in the early 20th century by sportsman across the nation.

I missed the "other thread" entirely, but it sounds like it was a doozy.

Marcus,

i certainly enjoy a good debate and I do not take offense when folks disagree with my perspective. However, I also realize from previous posts on AOD that you are not going to sway my opinion and I am not going to sway yours. Nothing wrong with that. Frankly, I barely can make the time to participate in AOD so I really do not want to get involved in another forum. I certainly have no problem if you want to move my post to the other forum and use it as a debate topic for members of the other forum.

Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    Marcus,

i certainly enjoy a good debate and I do not take offense when folks disagree with my perspective. However, I also realize from previous posts on AOD that you are not going to sway my opinion and I am not going to sway yours. Nothing wrong with that. Frankly, I barely can make the time to participate in AOD so I really do not want to get involved in another forum. I certainly have no problem if you want to move my post to the other forum and use it as a debate topic for members of the other forum.

Thanks, safari, that's a generous offer . . may use some of your talking points should the occasion present itself but not the entire post.

In the meantime, if all this thread is going to amount to is a superficial sharing of opinions, well, I've got better things to do.

Best wishes . .

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I would think that goat hunting is certainly the most dangerous hunt due to the terrain, but it's hard to imagine the goats themselves as particularly dangerous- but I see your point.

The only real "Dangerous Game" we have are bears and as much as I hate to admit it, on the African scale they barely move he needle.
    Tell that to someone who's gone in the bush after a bear, and you'll get quite a bit of disagreement. Or, someone standing on moose gut pile while a grizzly circles you in the alder ~ been there and done that and I don't know how much more "dangerous" it gets!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

4merguide, I actually enjoy the "superficial sharing of opinions". Before I reply to your thread, please allow me to share one: some people take themselves WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY too seriously!!!!!! And if I may, yet another: anyone searching for their God just needs to climb up to 11,000ft and take a look around. Trust me, you will see Him and feel Him. As far as the dangerous game, in planning for an Alaska sheep hunt, my original plan was to try and do a sheep/griz combo. Among other reasons, for the very thrill and challenge of hunting something that can hunt me. As I have been researching every web site and watching every show and buying every DVD that is AK, I was really set back by the sight of a big, skinned griz body laying on the ground as the guide and hunter walked out of the valley packing only the hide. Prior to that video scene, I really hadn't realized that the meat from some(??) of those bears is not utilized. I am still processing my thoughts on the issue and trying to decide if I could take an amazing, old animal like that to just skin it and walk away. I have attempted to choose my words carefully here. I do not want to offend anyone. Not judging. I do look forward to the posts on this thread and the insights the posts may provide. Even if they are superficial and opinionated.

I consider it dangerous game hunting when the critter knows you are there and need travel less than a football field to move you on your way if they wish. To me hunting means getting close 100 yards of less and past that is taking or shooting of game. The words I could not get closer than X-yards means the critter won as far as being hunted goes but may be eaten none the less. If a person feels good about the way they hunt who am I to judge,different strokes for different folks and we all are. For me if it ain't good the first day it still won't be on the last. JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

there are some folks who salvage even the meat and the hide of coastal bears. So much is wasted by the majority, though legal, I feel it's an ethical dilemma to kill an animal and not salvage the meat. Having popped open a few jars meat from a Kodiak brownbear, and one can from a black bear shot rummaging an inner-tidal zone.......it was some tasty stuff! Hope my neighbor passes along a couple more jars before he moves to arizona to retire.......it's that good.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast