Thread: Inside Passage Guide

Default Inside Passage Guide

Hello,

Any of you Southeast guys have a suggestion for a cruising guide for the inside passage. If not this summer, next summer I'm going to trailer my boat from the Kenai Penninsula to Haines and play around for a couple weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I've been doing a lot of research on the Inside Passage myself lately. Bought a boat (30' SeaSport) in Port Townsend a couple of months back, and a couple of friends and I will be bringing it up to Juneau thru the Inside Passage later this month.

The cruising guides I've been looking at are Charlie's Charts North to Alaska, Exploring Southeast Alaska, and Proven Cruising Routes (Vol. One - Seattle to Ketchikan). For just cruising around in SE AK, I'd also recommend Exploring Alaska and British Columbia.

you can do a search for threads. I uderstand the tides can be tricky, so be careful.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Re:

Thinking of doing the same trip in June. Talked to a guy on another forum that is planning on going and was looking for anyone that would like to tag along. Trailering to Haines then running down to Ketchikan with stops in Juneau, Petersburg, and Wrangle. Not for sure I can make it this year, but for sure next year. I think it would be one heck of a trip. Fishing, crabbing, and shrimping along the way.

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure it will be next summer. A great cruising guide really helps. We bought our boat in Ketchikan and ferried it to Haines. Then we drove it to Anchorage. So we've made the drive with the boat and we're not scared to try it again. We'll certainly post if and when we make the trip.

Thanks

Default Inside Passage

I;m planning on doing the inside in a few years.
    here is what I've acquired so far

Charlie's Charts North to Alaska (Charles E. Wood)
    Local Knowledge (Kevin Monahan) - good info on rapids
    How to Cruise to Alaska (Walt Woodward)
    Coastal Pilot 8

Default Plarking in Haines

I plan on doing the same thing next year as well. Probably in June. Another question I have, What do they have for long term parking in Haines. How safe, how much, and is there a way to cut that cost?
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

When I was there last summer the parking at the harbor was very limited and looked more temporary. I haven't worked on the parking situation yet, but will let you know if I hear of anything.

Security is probably pretty good because of the one road in and one road out with a security check point provided by homeland security.