Thread: Duck calls

Default Duck calls

So with this class taking shape. Wondering what people would recommend for duck calls?
    i use the high roller and DR85 .
    Looking for one or two more calls. One that is Easy to use.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

how much money do you want to spend. single reed or double reed?
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Money not worried .
    Just one that is easy and sound good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary

I really think you are already on track..the Haydels DR85 has got to be one of the easiest to teach or learn from.

Very easy to learn and master all 8 tunes.

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/duck-ca...er-must-master

The more highdollar calls are great as well..got a few as well..but hardly every use em..just love the raspy shound of the DR85.

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Just get one that you can make a decent sounding quack with. Record yourself and play around until you get what you're looking for. All duck calling comes from the quack, with the exception of the feeder, and even those sound better with a quack tossed in. When I'm back in town and teach one of these shin digs, I'll tune everyone's call for them, specifically tuned for each person.

Problem i have is the end not
    i do the 9,8,7,6 etc on the hail call .
    ending I can never get
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We can sort that out pretty quickly.

Speaking if duck calls is there any duck or goose calling comp. up here in Alaska like Stuttgart?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryl View Post
    Speaking if duck calls is there any duck or goose calling comp. up here in Alaska like Stuttgart?

Nope, need a sanction from Stuttgart chamber of commerce and then they want sanctioned judges. You could always organize one and line up your own judges, but if you want the winner qualified for the worlds, it's gotta be sanctioned through Stuttgart.

I think that would be a good deal for alaska I dont really know how many would turn up for it I guess that would have to be the first step. I will have to do a little resurch one thing I would hate is to see what happens most often in this state when it comes to judging anything "oh thats my buddy 10 out of 10" stuff.

I think that would be a good deal for alaska I dont really know how many would turn up for it I guess that would have to be the first step. I will have to do a little resurch one thing I would hate is to see what happens most often in this state when it comes to judging anything "oh thats my buddy 10 out of 10" stuff.

What in this state is judged that way?

Are you a contest caller? Maybe you could judge, or do you plan to call? Who makes your calls?

Calling contest, trading hunts on the hay flats for sea ducks, bear baiting, retriever training, buying an air boat, hunting Afognak, trapping the hay flats, etc., you sure are going to have a busy year...

I'm not going to start the point fingers I've seen several events riged later to find out there best friends!!! Not a contest caller but getting an organization to throw a calling event would be cool!!! I have never contest called nor am I a pro I get duck to come in when I hunt that's all that really matters but to see something like that in Alaska I would love to call in an event! Echo is my call As for everything I have going for me this year don't forget building a house! That's what happens when u r motivated!!!!

I'm not going to start the point fingers I've seen several events riged later to find out there best friends!!! Not a contest caller but getting an organization to throw a calling event would be cool!!! I have never contest called nor am I a pro I get duck to come in when I hunt that's all that really matters but to see something like that in Alaska I would love to call in an event! Echo is my call As for everything I have going for me this year don't forget building a house! That's what happens when u r motivated!!!!

Awesome! I look forward to seeing pictures of all of this! Keep us posted. Really interested to see how your Kodiak trip goes.

Rick turns a good call, what are you having him do for you? If you'd be willing to learn a little more about contest calling, I'm sure you could be a judge for the event if you'd be interested. Let us know what you find out in your research. Short of getting judges and someone holding a sanction ($125), I don't think there's much more involved than a place and a time.