Thread: Some Advice - Homer - Soldotna - Seward?

Default Some Advice - Homer - Soldotna - Seward?

Now that my party has confirmed, I am looking at 3 days fishing in Alaska middle of August, would like to do both salmon and halibut, what are peoples preference or Homer/Soldotna/Seward? Does one hold an advantage over the other? I do not necessaily want to catch huge barn door halibut, but do not want chickens either...I have fished Valdez a couple years, but want to go somewhere difference this year, so any suggestions on location and charters would be very much appreciated.

My vote is Seward for Halibut and Salmon combo charter. You WILL get several theories so it's up to you to weed through them.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I believe either one will provide you with plenty of fish in that timeframe.
    One thing to consider is that many reputable charters are going to be nearly full by now for the summer.
    So ask a lot of questions and pick wisely. A lot of charters that still have plenty of openings are probably going to take you to the nearest chicken patch and expect you to be happy with it.
    The best charters fill up 7-8 months or a year in advance.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Seward will offer you some great combo fishing that time of year, we go up derby week each summer. These trips give you a good shot at halibut, coho, some rockfish, and even lings. Last year on a charter we caught all in the same spot. There are a ton of charters out of there, I like booking with an owner operator, so I know exactly which boat I will be on. Had a bad experience last year and booked with a captain only to find out he worked as a booking agent for other boats and he had farmed me out to another boat. Do your research and book as soon as you can!!!

3 days fishing the middle of August, that's close to the middle of the Seward Salmon Derby, The better boats/capt's are going to be booked way in advance. Myself I'm partial to Homer for the Halibut, and the feeder kings, but I enjoy Seward for the Silvers, and rockfish, and ling, and scenery. In Reality, there isn't a wrong choice. But... I wouldn't waste too much more time making a decision and getting reservations locked in with a good boat/capt. My 2c.

thanks...any suggestions for Homer or Seward for charters???

Quote Originally Posted by bayman099 View Post
    thanks...any suggestions for Homer or Seward for charters???
    We keep our boat near Crackerjack charters in Seward.

They always have a nice clean boat, and happy smiles on the clients faces

SEWARD no questions...have fun.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    SEWARD no questions...have fun.
    any suggestion for charter, have crackerjacks as one....seems Seward is winning out, be my first time down that area as usually go to Valdez each year, so really looking forward to new part of Alaska!

A quick search turned up several...
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Crackerjack is first rate for sure, as is ProFishNSea.; the cappy, Steve Zernia, used to work with Andy of Crackerjack. Can't go wrong with either imho.

Always heard great things about them, and usally see them offloading limits of fish.

Dont use charters..so would not know...have boat and will travel..

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Crackerjack is first rate for sure, as is ProFishNSea.; the cappy, Steve Zernia, used to work with Andy of Crackerjack. Can't go wrong with either imho.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Crackerjack was fully booked, got FishNSea for one day........ Duckhunter thanks for the comeback, looking forward to my first trip to Seward.

Thanks for the recommendations I would try Glacier charters with Captain Will or Semaka charters if you want a shot at some larger fish. no guarantees but both will work hard to try to catch some good fish. Just to set your expectations right with the current state of halibut fishing..... The abundance of halibut is significantly lower than it was 5 or 10 years ago and the size has declined significantly as well. We do still catch some huge ones and some decent fish but nowhere in Alaska is it the same as it used to be. You will catch limits with a mix of sizes and hopefully a shot at a trophy.
    for the last 20 years, Captain Steve from Profish-n-Sea, Captain Nik from the original Crackerjack and I are still best of friends and share an office. This will likely continue until we get too old to fish anymore and that is quite some time from now.

Looking forward to getting our boats fired up soon and catching some fish here again.

It is too bad u r all booked, but I am gonna go for the combo fishing, and try to get some smaller 20-40 lb range hopefully, it is not about the big one for me, both of us that are coming have fished commercially in Newfoundland, on east coast of Canada, this is about the "trip" . Looking forward to coming down your way the summer for the first time....and hopefully may turn into an annual trip.

Too bad I am sure we would have much to talk about, I spent years fishing on the US side of the Hauge line in the Canyons and in international waters east of the Grand Banks for Swordfish and Tunas. I am sure you will be impressed by the quality and quantity of fish in Alaska's marine waters. Good luck on your trip!!

Yeah it would have been a good chat indeed. We fished for snow crab, cod, shrimp, capelin primarily. Here is a pic of the both we fished on, it was my uncles.northern challenge.jpg